7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So much potential along the bayou. Amazing nothing like this happened way sooner. 

east of downtown is scaaaaaaary.

that and up until recently all of the bayou on the east of downtown has been exclusively industrial.

oh, and lots of trains.

Edited by samagon
  • Haha 4

On 2/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, HOUHOU83 said:

Thanks for the info. I already dropped $20k on “serenity series” STC47 windows from a local company. Great service, and the windows are beautiful. They cut most sound by 50%+. But nothing can stop these horns as they blow through the exterior walls, front door, back door. I’m still woken up.

It’s still slightly “on topic”. I should’ve asked if the trains horns could deter future homeowners, renters, businesses from the area. Or if nothing will stand in East River’s way. The dream is East River’s influence with a quiet zone being funded and established at some point.

If trains deterred new home buyers, this sort of thing would not have happened, where hundred, if not millions, of townhomes are built right next to the tracks North of Washington https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7727768,-95.4091931,950m/data=!3m1!1e3

I always wondered if the people who bought those homes didn't care, or just didn't notice.

Or, it ends up like this How often does the train go by

Edited by Ross

3 minutes ago, Ross said:

If trains deterred new home buyers, this sort of thing would not have happened, where hundred, if not millions, of townhomes are built right next to the tracks North of Washington https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7727768,-95.4091931,950m/data=!3m1!1e3

I always wondered if the people who bought those homes didn't care, or just didn't notice.

I bought a townhouse across the bayou, McKinney & Cullen. Investigated the area at different times and never heard the trains. Then when I moved in it was all I heard. 2-3am they would blast battle as they creeped over Cullen. Meetings, XBOX matches, phone calls, everyone would ask "Is that a Train"? White noise machine solved my sleeping issues.

For this development, the problem really is the Train chilling on the tracks. Hirsch & Lockwood are I-10 West Bound connections for not only visitors, but shipments to the retail. Is U-turning to get back on I-10 and head down Gregg a problem? Not really, but with all the trucks and industrial developments I'm shocked either street never went under the tracks in the first place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ross said:

I don't think train tracks inherently are the problem. the west side of River Oaks (and other highly affluent areas) are right next to a RR, the same as the Washington corridor.

the problem is congestion that is created by such a concentration of multiple train tracks.

how frequently do trains stop at grade crossings on the Washington corridor? how about the RR tracks that are next to RO? I've never seen a train stopped on Westheimer, and when I have to stop for a train that is moving, it is typically traveling pretty quickly.

in the EE we have numerous tracks, switching yards, and all sorts of other things that cause the trains to sit blocking intersections. they are only allowed (air quotes) to stop for up to an hour or they get fined, which is an internally regulated affair, so unless a concerned community member is out there with a stopwatch to keep them honest, nothing happens.

it is not infrequent that trains are stopped 3x a day on various crossings. the knock on effect is that in order for traffic (regular cars, commercial vehicles, metro buses) to get where they need to go, they drive down residential streets. 

could anyone imagine a train blocking Westheimer for up to an hour, and metro buses taking a shortcut through River Oaks? 😄

the thing is, it's a known quantity, those of us who have chosen to live here for a long time accept these negatives to live as close to the city as we can, and yet not pay Heights, or Montrose prices to do so.

but to answer the question of why the EE is only recently starting to see a renaissance, and to specifically reference trains, well, there it is, while the noise is an annoyance, blocked intersections is a pestilence. 

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, samagon said:

east of downtown is scaaaaaaary.

that and up until recently all of the bayou on the east of downtown has been exclusively industrial.

oh, and lots of trains.

I'm cool with the industrial, but it always makes me wonder why the city never grew towards the water.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm cool with the industrial, but it always makes me wonder why the city never grew towards the water.

I think due to historical reasons like flooding and malaria, there were reasons to not build too close to the water. 

I means this was in 1935 lol.

Flood waters swamp Houston, Texas in December 1935.

• Like 6

On 6/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, iah77 said:

I think due to historical reasons like flooding and malaria, there were reasons to not build too close to the water. 

I means this was in 1935 lol.

Flood waters swamp Houston, Texas in December 1935.

This is the flood that's responsible for the Army Corp of Engineers constructing Barker and Addicks Dam and spillway in the 40's, creating the reservoirs on western Buffalo Bayou. 

• Like 2

I hate to sound like the downer here, but is Houston ever going to get any developments near downtown that are more centered and catered to entertainment for the masses?

Not saying that a golf course is not entertainment, but it serves a certain demographic. From what I see, It just seems like the main tenants are a dentistry and a lickem' ice cream parlor. It's just hard to get too excited about that.

The golf course will be a good addition, but I guess I just want to see a little bit more. It would be great to see more on plans on how they can better utilize the Bayou. Like some talks of some boat tours or water taxi connections between ER and downtown. Maybe throw in a comedy club in there somewhere somewhere. 

On a positive note, Midway usually has a good reputation. This place was being advertised as being Houston's version of a Riverwalk but right now, It still feels so....  business oriented! 

Edited by scarface

On 4/15/2022 at 7:27 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

It's possible an all day cafe and coffee shop from New York City may lease (or has leased) a space at mixed-use development East River (100 Jensen Dr).

El Condor filed an entity last month hinting a Houston location may be on the way. In February, Eater New York reported the shop's owners  had their eye on Houston for future outposts. The following month, Daily Coffee News reported El Condor signed a lease for its forthcoming Houston shop.

El Condor opened its first cafe in New York's West Village earlier this year.

As for its Houston branch, El Condor could open at East River by the spring or summer of 2023, according to Daily Coffee News.

Additionally, Daily Coffee News reports: "Each of the El Condor locations will maintain the Palm Springs mid-century vibe with open kitchens and indoor/outdoor seating where possible, though each will be uniquely adapted to its locality."

https://elcondor.coffee

https://instagram.com/elcondorcoffee

https://ny.eater.com/2022/2/17/22935947/el-condor-coffee-west-village-opening-menu-nyc

https://dailycoffeenews.com/2022/03/15/el-condor-coffee-swoops-into-new-york-nashville-and-houston-next

So far, confirmed retail and other businesses slated for East River are:

• Broham (boutique grocer from Johny Rhodes)

• Lick Honest Ice Creams

• Urbn Dental

• The Astorian (event venue, may open under another name)

• East River 9 (golf course & driving range)

• Riverhouse (restaurant anchoring East River 9)

Speculative tenants for East River were briefly published last year in materials from Midway. A screenshot of those possible tenants are located in the posts below:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27030-east-river-kbr-site-purchased-by-midway/?do=findComment&comment=631300 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27030-east-river-kbr-site-purchased-by-midway/?do=findComment&comment=643089

On 4/19/2022 at 6:27 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

An updated site plan for Midway's East River mixed-use development at 100 Jensen Dr.

The site plan is located in the retail guidebook that's linked on East River's homepage. An older retail guide is linked on the retail page on East River's website. It hasn't been updated to the one provided on the homepage.

According to the site plan, Tomi, a Houston-based jewelry retail, has leased a ground floor unit at the Laura.

The retail guide also includes an updated list of retail tenants. Tomi, Broham, Lick Honest Ice Creams, Urbn Dental, and The Astorian are listed.

There are also photos indicating a cafe and coffee shop. I'm assuming one or both are for El Condor. The NYC-based all day cafe and coffee shop recently leased a unit at East River. It will probably be included in the next updated retail guide.

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://global-uploads.webflow.com/60fabed9899a525885269ae4/624b713da0ab0dd6796c67fe_220404 East River Retail.pdf

Midway formally announced El Condor and Tomi as recent tenants for the East River mixed use development.

As noted in the quoted posts above from April, El Condor and Tomi leased units at East River earlier this year.

Realty News Report has more about their locations in the development and estimated opening provided to them through a press release:

El Condor

"El Condor Coffee Roasters will open its first location in Texas and second in the country in the base of East River 1 (Building C), with convenient access to the office building’s lobby. The 1,500 square-foot space will feature an open-format layout, as well as an outdoor patio."

Tomi

"Tomi, a collection of jewelry designed in Houston and made in the USA and Italy, will debut its first brick-and-mortar store on the ground floor of The Laura apartment building."

https://realtynewsreport.com/east-river-signs-retailers-to-redevelopment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/28/2021 at 6:40 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Midway released an annoucement regarding additional tenants for the East River development in Houston's Fifth Ward.

The press release confirms details from East River's merchandising plan leaked earlier this year of a cultural market for the development. It also confirms @ljchou's post a few weeks ago.

Here is the article published yesterday on Bisnow:

An award-winning chef’s African heritage and soul food grocery is among the first announced retail tenants in Phase 1 of the $2.5B East River mixed-use project being developed by Midway.

Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries originally opened in 2020 in the Trinity Gardens community and was created by acclaimed chef Jonny Rhodes, who became a national name for his now-shuttered restaurant Indigo, also in north Houston. Rhodes closed Indigo, in part, to focus on Broham and his efforts to tackle food insecurity and lack of land ownership among Black communities. The new store will focus on house-made and locally sourced grocery items.

When it opens in 2023, the new Broham will sit in a 4K SF space in The Depot, a ground-level area of the 150-acre development. The project broke ground in August.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/retail/grocery-from-acclaimed-houston-chef-one-of-first-announced-retail-tenants-in-25b-east-river-project-110679

An update on Broham, the boutique grocer and market from chef Jonny Rhodes coming next year to the East River development at 100 Jensen:

"Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries...plans to open a temporary 1,270 square-foot location early fall in a nearby building owned by Midway at 2311 Canal Street. Once Phase One construction is complete, the self-sustainable boutique bodega will relocate to their permanent 4,000 square-foot space in The Depot (the ground level of the garage)."

https://realtynewsreport.com/east-river-signs-retailers-to-redevelopment

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SMU1213 said:

Are those just short term covered land plays?

The timeline for this project is so long it's totally possible/feasible those are "temporary" and there for 10 + years. 

Edited by iah77

It reminds me of some of the public spaces that are prevalent in Citi Centre. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point they add some restaurant or bar taking advantage of that incredible view. It would become the new great date night restaurant. Then maybe go play 9 holes of golf at night on the east end. With that view it will be a very popular course. I can see salesman taking their down town clients to a late afternoon game and maybe a few drinks afterwards.

Cant wait.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:32 PM, scarface said:

Not saying that a golf course is not entertainment, but it serves a certain demographic

It's so strange to see a golf course as part of any new development.  Over the last ten years, there have been dozens and dozens of articles in the real estate press about the death of golf course.  They cater to a rapidly shrinking demographic, and many of them are being converted into housing because they're wasted space and terrible for the environment.

18 hours ago, iah77 said:

The timeline for this project is so long it's totally possible/feasible those are "temporary" and there for 10 + years. 

That was my understanding as well -- this is a 'temporary' installation until they get to building out that part of the development. But that may take up to 20 years :)

57 minutes ago, editor said:

It's so strange to see a golf course as part of any new development.  Over the last ten years, there have been dozens and dozens of articles in the real estate press about the death of golf course.  They cater to a rapidly shrinking demographic, and many of them are being converted into housing because they're wasted space and terrible for the environment.

It must be because they just have so much land there and it will take a decade to develop it all. So what do you do that takes up a lot of land and brings in at least a little revenue? Otherwise you just leave it sitting and who knows what starts occupying it.