Retail Center At 550 Heights Blvd.

segovia

We were there today and had a smoked chicken sandwich, just that there was almost no meat in it---

there was so little, we can't comment on the quality or taste of the meat.

the slaw and tater sald sides ere very nice.

what's the point? I know the owners have a humane farm, and I like this idea. Maybe they need to sel this idea more in the store, then we would knoiw why we get scrap meat in the sandwich :((

Sounds like they just goofed on your order. I have had the prepared foods and always found the portions to be very good. Don't give up on them based on one bad order. Try the hot dog if you are concerned about portion size. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 3

The week before Easter, I purchased the bacon anticipating family guests that weekend. They are STILL talking about the bacon. It was SO good.

You think that something like bacon can't be improved upon but it can.

interesting... improving bacon, which can be used to improve nearly any other food (bacon wrapped steak/shrimp/asparagus/cupcake etc.)

Any mathematicians around to hash this out? Bacon improves food by X. Revival's bacon is Y times better than normal bacon. A cupcake wrapped in bacon (or however else SilverJK likes his paired :blink:) is Z times better than with other bacon or N times better than the food by itself?

In all seriousness--and bacon is serious business--it is certainly the best i've had.

I really like the idea of local meats ....but I priced a leg of lamb there to put on the grill. Let's just say dad's birthday meal is coming from another store. (I love you Dad, but after it marinates for 2 days you won't know the difference.) I will probably splurge on the whole pork shoulder for a holiday meal, but man. Ouch. The market seems to be the 2-chicken breasts, bacon and some cheese crowd, so they should be very successful. It's a nice place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to McCain's Market - Heights Blvd. At White Oak Dr.
  • 1 month later...

Maps of the retail center at 550 Heights Blvd in the Heights. I don't know if this small development has a name. Listings for the property refer to it by its address only.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Photos of the retail center at 550 Heights Boulevard.

From 2020 when Weitzman Group was the retail center's leasing agent. These are from a 2020 Loopnet listing:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/550-Heights-Blvd-Houston-TX/20948445

Brochure:
https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/ZnKwf85Q-FcMeXv5aEsOQAGIKKLvnSOphNh-3-BzTC0/550 Heights Blvd Brochure.pdf
http://www.weitzmangroup.com/files/pdf/550-Heights-Boulevard(1397).pdf

spacer.png

spacer.png

From Google Maps April 2022
spacer.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Posts about the retail center at 550 Heights Blvd over the years, mainly about McCain's and Revival Market which occupied suite C. The posts were located in various topics throughout the forum.

On 2/1/2013 at 9:25 AM, Angostura said:

I wish them luck. But let's not forget what preceded Revival Market at their current address. Why has Revival succeeded where McCain's failed (and what can HGS learn from this)?

Given the background of the owners, Revival had instant credibility with people from the food service industry and therefore got a lot of favorable social media coverage from day one.  HGS will have to build this credibility more slowly,

The biggest excitement drivers for Revival were its charcuterie/salumi program (given their custom curing room and Pera's experience) and its coffee program. Over time, though, what impresses me about Revival is their constant innovation, especially with prepared foods. Every weekend there seems to be a new offering, be it bagels or kolaches or prepared sides for Thanksgiving. And everything is done to a very high standard. They're also a model in the use of social media to drive sales, with frequent updates and a lot of original content.

On 2/1/2013 at 9:34 AM, s3mh said:

Revival already had a following from their farmer's market offerings which helped them a lot during the critical first few months. This place will definitely need to be ready to hit it out of the park when the doors open. There is certainly a big market for another causual restaurant in the Heights. Those shoes will not be that difficult to fill. But, the market part is definitely a more difficult affair. They will need to offer stuff that you cannot get at Revival or Whole Foods(difficult) and offer the stuff that you can get at regular markets at prices that are close enough that people will be willing to pay a few cents more not to have to deal with Kroger or Whole Foods. It can be done and could print money, but it will definitely be a perilous journey for a small business owner who is doing this from scratch. I am glad they are taking a shot at it and hope it works.

On 2/1/2013 at 9:57 AM, kylejack said:

McCain's was a terrible implementation of admittedly a similar concept. Revival Market is doing it right.

On 2/1/2013 at 3:07 PM, SilverJK said:

I swear McCains had to try to fail... it was so blatantly obvious that it was missing quality/variety/vibe that I can't fathom how  management didn't fix it (or at least make an effort).  The workers were also cold/rude the few times I went there.  Revival has some of the best coffee in Houston... and that isn't even their main business. 

I think Heights General Store would do well to carry a large amount of "old time" styled candies.  I went to a place (very popular) in Rural North Carolina that had an awesome selection of classic candies, you filled a basket with what you wanted and paid by weight/tiers. 

On 12/13/2014 at 1:23 PM, SamHouston said:

Revival Market posted a TABC notice yesterday to start a private club. I, for one, am excited, but am not looking forward to all the neighborhood drama.

On 12/29/2014 at 3:45 PM, s3mh said:

Revival Market put in more seating this weekend.  I will start my own speculation that they might start doing some dinner service once they get a booze permit.  Maybe that will give them the chance to get a menu ready for a new concept at the gas station.

On 5/8/2015 at 3:52 PM, s3mh said:

Revival Market starts dinner service next week.  They have already converted to a full service sit-down restaurant set up with the cash registers just being for take out.  Booze permit is not ready yet.

Posts related to the retail center at 550 Heights Blvd, specifically Revival Market (550 Heights Boulevard, Suite C). The posts are about Revival Market closing its doors and were originally posted in the thread for 540 Heights Boulevard:

On 7/29/2022 at 12:46 PM, emmanume said:

A bit unrelated but Since it’s next door, Revival is closing its doors :(

On 7/29/2022 at 1:09 PM, mkultra25 said:

Sounds like there will be at least some continuity between Revival and the restaurant that will be taking its place:

Houston’s 11-Year-Old Butcher Shop and Cafe Revival Market Will Close Sunday

On 8/1/2022 at 10:13 AM, s3mh said:

Agricole seemed to lose interest in Revival when they expanded to the east side.  It was still good, but in its prime it had some magical dishes like the smoked gulf by catch and the kolache specials.  When Kolache Shoppe opened, I couldn't get my son to eat there because the kolaches weren't as good as Revival's.  I do look forward to something new that is Revival adjacent that will hopefully breathe some fresh new light into the space.  The Heights is starting to run a bit short on good new places from local chefs versus getting the second or third location of a popular Austin restaurant or a national chain that the foodies like.  

A post related to the retail center at 550 Heights Blvd, specifically Revival Market (550 Heights Blvd, Ste C).

The post is about the dining concept replacing Revival Market, which recently closed. Lagniappe (Lagniappe Kitchen & Bar) will serve coffee beverages, plus Louisiana and Southern fare.

This was is from the thread for 540 Heights Boulevard.

https://www.instagram.com/lagniappekitchenandbar/
https://www.lagniappeheights.com

On 8/1/2022 at 1:46 PM, s3mh said:

Revival Market signage removed.
zEPftB8.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 550 Heights Blvd.
  • 9 months later...
8 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Lagniappe / Lagniappe Kitchen & Bar is permanently closed. The cafe and Southern restaurant occupied Revival Market's former space at 550 Heights Blvd, Suite C.

NBZG6GS.jpg

It is really weird how the customer base that Revival had just disappeared when Lagniappe opened.  Food was on par with Revival with added Cajun fare.  But it never had the level of business that Revival had.  I think they would have done better had they opened in another location instead of being in the shadow of Revival.  Years ago, people in the Heights would have pounced on a place like this. 

Looking forward to getting location number 43 of a craft kombucha and organic vegan cronut chain originally from Bend, Oregon.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Idk I don't see this as a big loss, maybeeee even a win. IMO, their food felt very mediocre. I feel like the cajun food scene is a bit oversaturated. Also, not a fan of a Mardi Gras theme for a restaurant, kinda tacky IMO. It's like having a Christmas themed restaurant. 

Side note, a healthy yet good restaurant is always welcome :)

Health is wealth :)

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

it must not have been any good.  I didn’t even know it was there and I love a good bowl of gumbo.  Not all restaurants do well in The Heights.  Remember the upscale Los Cucos?  I thought for sure that would be a hit and it flopped.

15 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I didn’t even know it was there and I love a good bowl of gumbo.

This is an ongoing problem with many failed restaurants and small businesses.  They don't advertise.

They think posting a picture on Instagram is advertising.  It's not.  Social media is a useful supplement, but it's not the same thing. 

It happens to me all the time that I learn about an interesting restaurant by word-of-mouth, only to find out when I try to visit that it's out of business.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, editor said:

This is an ongoing problem with many failed restaurants and small businesses.  They don't advertise.

They think posting a picture on Instagram is advertising.  It's not.  Social media is a useful supplement, but it's not the same thing. 

It happens to me all the time that I learn about an interesting restaurant by word-of-mouth, only to find out when I try to visit that it's out of business.

I loved Revival so much but the quality and food was never good when the new owners took over and made this concept. Its a shame as its a great location.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:44 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Lagniappe / Lagniappe Kitchen & Bar is permanently closed. The cafe and Southern restaurant occupied Revival Market's former space at 550 Heights Blvd, Suite C.

NBZG6GS.jpg

Wellspring Commercial Real Estate is marketing the space previously occupied by Lagniappe. The unit is 550 Heights Blvd, Suite C.

While the brochures for the property don't reflect Lagniappe's vacant unit (the brochure hasn't been updated in over a year... still shows Revival Market and the center as 100% leased), there are details in the listing itself:

• 2nd generation restaurant available for lease in the Houston Heights at Heights Blvd & White Oak Dr. End cap with patio space available. Previously Revival Market, and most recently Lagniappe Kitchen. 2,865 SF plus patio.

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/658835/texas-heights-blvd-white-oak-dr

• The title was changed to Retail Center At 550 Heights Blvd.
On 7/4/2023 at 3:31 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Wellspring Commercial Real Estate is marketing the space previously occupied by Lagniappe. The unit is 550 Heights Blvd, Suite C.

While the brochures for the property don't reflect Lagniappe's vacant unit (the brochure hasn't been updated in over a year... still shows Revival Market and the center as 100% leased), there are details in the listing itself:

• 2nd generation restaurant available for lease in the Houston Heights at Heights Blvd & White Oak Dr. End cap with patio space available. Previously Revival Market, and most recently Lagniappe Kitchen. 2,865 SF plus patio.

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/658835/texas-heights-blvd-white-oak-dr

The unit previously occupied by Lagniappe is leased.

A few days ago, Wellspring Commercial Real Estate announced Cooking Girl, a local Sichuan restaurant, will open in the shopping center on the corner of Heights Blvd and White Oak Dr.

I don't know when Cooking Girl plans to opening its latest location at 550 Heights Blvd, Suite C.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyL4ehxRrOM/

JU2a82I.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, innerloop said:

I agree that Cooking Girl is great, but aren't we set for Chinese Restaurants in the neighborhood? Rice Box, Heights Asian Cafe, Be More Pacific, Mala Sichuan... 

How about a nice Indian place, with table cloths and table service?

Be More Pacific is not remotely Chinese, and Heights Asian Cafe is kind of old-school Americanized Chinese and Vietnamese. Rice Box is also doing its own thing.

So that just leaves Mala on your list, and, I don't know man, I think the greater Heights can handle *two* sichuan restaurants. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 9:33 PM, Texasota said:

Be More Pacific is not remotely Chinese, and Heights Asian Cafe is kind of old-school Americanized Chinese and Vietnamese. Rice Box is also doing its own thing.

So that just leaves Mala on your list, and, I don't know man, I think the greater Heights can handle *two* sichuan restaurants. 

Well said!