Retail Center At 550 Heights Blvd.

segovia

Stopped in here on Saturday to stock up a picnic lunch for a "tour" at St. Arnolds. Wow.

This place is doing it right! Everything we purchased was great - the tuscan salami was to die for, the copa and the pancetta also spectacular. Fresh herbed goat cheese was lovely, blue cheese from Houston Dairymaids tasted just like a barnyard (in that awesome way that cheese can).

And the bread, oh my goodness, the bread! Slow Dough is a great company. Their rustic round loaf is the best I have been able to get in Houston. (Our household has been known to mail order bread from a deli in Michigan, just to get our rustic loaf fix on).

Our out of town friends, who live in Organic Slow Food Central in Vermont,and who are familiar with "actual Italian food in Italy" were highly impressed.

Oh yeah, the coffee was great, too.

• Like 1

My experience saturday was almost identical, salami, bread, coffee all top notch. Unfortunately, it was so busy I really couldn't look at all they have to offer for all the people (that said I didn't have to wait for service at the deli or coffee bar). I wish they had a product list or something cause there is a lot of stuff that looks cool.

Stopped in here on Saturday to stock up a picnic lunch for a "tour" at St. Arnolds. Wow.

This place is doing it right! Everything we purchased was great - the tuscan salami was to die for, the copa and the pancetta also spectacular. Fresh herbed goat cheese was lovely, blue cheese from Houston Dairymaids tasted just like a barnyard (in that awesome way that cheese can).

And the bread, oh my goodness, the bread! Slow Dough is a great company. Their rustic round loaf is the best I have been able to get in Houston. (Our household has been known to mail order bread from a deli in Michigan, just to get our rustic loaf fix on).

Our out of town friends, who live in Organic Slow Food Central in Vermont,and who are familiar with "actual Italian food in Italy" were highly impressed.

Oh yeah, the coffee was great, too.

• Like 1

I had much the same experience as the above two posters, my wife and I stopped in on Saturday and then returned Sunday to pick up a few more items. Grilled boneless pork chops Saturday night and they were the best I've had anywhere, the bacon is really unbelievably good and the Turkey deli sandwiches were excellent. We shop at another store in the area (not WF or CM) that carries most of the same produce, similar meats, cheeses, breads and dairy but it's quite a drive when compared to Revival so for most week to week items this is most definitely our new store. By the way Fox 26 did a special on Revival and they posted 3 videos online:

http://www.houstontexasfood.com/

It's also worth noting that Frank, who designed the coffee bar and heads it up, is a former barista at Catalina. The cortado he made me over the weekend was just as good as the one I get at Catalina, so Revival is certainly a good alternate when Catalina is super busy on weekend mornings (they also sell sell the Araya coffee beans).

• Like 1

I stopped by Revival Market last night for a BLT sandwich, and I was very impressed with the whole operation. The sandwich was unbelievably good, and they appeared to stock everything you would need (meat, vegetables, bread) to cook a nice dinner. The place was packed, but I only had to wait ~5 min for the sandwich.

As a few others have noted, it would appear that this place is what McCain's should have been (but wasn't).

• Like 1

Umm, I saw some dried beans? Couldn't really tell what they were, so I guess they were "unusual" ;) They weren't clearly identified, and since the place was mobbed I didn't get the chance to ask any of the staff what they were. They were shelved with the dried herbs and olive oil.

Anyone take note of what's going on in this department?

Umm, I saw some dried beans? Couldn't really tell what they were, so I guess they were "unusual" ;) They weren't clearly identified, and since the place was mobbed I didn't get the chance to ask any of the staff what they were. They were shelved with the dried herbs and olive oil.

Mrs. Porchman says their heirloom.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad everyone has liked it but after the novelty wears off, it will not have the traffic to survive long-term.

Yes. People will soon come to their senses, and be satisfied with Heinz, French's and Oscar Meyer.

• Like 1

Yes. People will soon come to their senses, and be satisfied with Heinz, French's and Oscar Meyer.

Yes, Revival and the brands listed are the only choices we poor Heights residents have. If only we had internet access or could leave the Heights, we might be able to shop the whole world for our desires. But alas, we are stuck with Heinz and French's and Oscar Meyer. Oh, the humanity!

Yes, Revival and the brands listed are the only choices we poor Heights residents have. If only we had internet access or could leave the Heights, we might be able to shop the whole world for our desires. But alas, we are stuck with Heinz and French's and Oscar Meyer. Oh, the humanity!

Have you actually been to Revival Market? It's pretty awesome.

Also, I've asked you to articulate why you think it doesn't have long-term staying power, could you go ahead and do that?

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 2

Novelty may be the reason it thrives. You cannot get most of what they are selling anywhere else, except for the once a week farmer's markets. And the big opening has not been as much a reflection of novelty as it has been familiarity. Many in the growing Houston locavore movement (and foodies alike) are very familiar with what is inside Revival Market from seeing the same stuff at farmers markets for a few years. But, now, you do not have a four hour window each week to pick up goodies from Revival Market, Slow Dough, gunderman, etc. So, Revival Market is starting with more than just novelty customers. They already have a loyal base.

• Like 2

Novelty may be the reason it thrives. You cannot get most of what they are selling anywhere else, except for the once a week farmer's markets. And the big opening has not been as much a reflection of novelty as it has been familiarity. Many in the growing Houston locavore movement (and foodies alike) are very familiar with what is inside Revival Market from seeing the same stuff at farmers markets for a few years. But, now, you do not have a four hour window each week to pick up goodies from Revival Market, Slow Dough, gunderman, etc. So, Revival Market is starting with more than just novelty customers. They already have a loyal base.

This saturday it was so busy I just got some bread and left. The prices aren't necessarily bad and rather than watch some food station or lookup a recipe on the internet you can spend five minutes getting quality ingrediants and expert advice. Area grocery stores have been competing mainly on the upper end for the past few years so I don't see any lack of demand and these guys actually have superior products.

I could see myself diverting 1/7 or so of my food spending there and I am seeing many others doing the same thing.

I'm sure my bimonthly bacon purchase is insignificant in the scheme of things... but the fact that I have a plan to go by there at least twice a month just for thick cut awesome swine strips is a pretty good sign I'd think.

Anyone try the lamb? looked freaking amazing.

Any chance they can add some outdoor seating at lunchtime? We went there a few days ago and it was so busy (a good thing IMO) that we took our food to go. If we had been able to sit we may have talked about dinner plans etc and decided to buy more before we left. Inside floor space looks full, but McCains used to have some seating out in front.

2 weeks ago I asked about a bike rack, and one of the staff told me they were working out some permitting thing with the city to be able to put seating outside (along with a bike rack). So apparently that is on the way.

And as for this place not thriving? I'm pretty sure it will be a success. Yeah, I can order stuff like this online, but why pay the shipping and have to wait when I can just bike over to Revival and pick it up? Plus, if you don't own an industrial grade meat slicer, even mail order meats aren't going to work in sandwiches.

Heights CPA, have you ever seen a catalog from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor? It's a deli, with the cheese and the meat and the bread and some amazing sandwiches that they charge ridiculous amounts of money for, but it has remained immensely popular for over 50 years. Even without their mail order business that place would still be booming. You can't get food there on a weekend without at least a 45 minute wait. People love good food, and they'll stick with the local place if it gives them what they want.

• Like 1

Yeah it is too niche of a market, just like you said for Jus' Mac...

= P

which is scouting a second location.

And to add to what others have said about Revival, both the owners had huge followings before the store front. I would say this was more a response to a demand from Morgan's existing customer base than any kind of novel idea.

• Like 1

My wife and I plan to meet friends at Revival on bicycles, pick up Noms and head to a local park for a picnic. I have a feeling this will be a common thing for many people. Maybe they could put togther some sort of picnic package with small portions of jams and etc. with their crackel bread and etc.

I went to this bakery in D.C. last time I was there called Le Pain, and they served picnic style baskets with a mix of fresh breads/jams/dips that were awesome. I wish I could find something like that somewhere in this city.

• Like 2

I'm sure my bimonthly bacon purchase is insignificant in the scheme of things... but the fact that I have a plan to go by there at least twice a month just for thick cut awesome swine strips is a pretty good sign I'd think.

Anyone try the lamb? looked freaking amazing.

I picked up a leg of lamb on Sunday for an Italian stew. When i say leg of lamb, we're talking about 2 feet of leg bone on that sucker. They were kind enough to debone it for me, though. I saved a couple pieces of the lamb before putting it in to the stew, and it was excellent.

FYI, they will also grind your meat to order. It would be a pretty expensive make at home burger, but some made from one of their ground ribeyes would be fantastic.

• Like 2

My wife and I plan to meet friends at Revival on bicycles, pick up Noms and head to a local park for a picnic. I have a feeling this will be a common thing for many people. Maybe they could put togther some sort of picnic package with small portions of jams and etc. with their crackel bread and etc.

I went to this bakery in D.C. last time I was there called Le Pain, and they served picnic style baskets with a mix of fresh breads/jams/dips that were awesome. I wish I could find something like that somewhere in this city.

Love this idea. We do similar things with our kids in tow all the time and it would be really nice to grab a brown bag and eat at the park.

• 3 weeks later...

We were there today and had a smoked chicken sandwich, just that there was almost no meat in it---

there was so little, we can't comment on the quality or taste of the meat.

the slaw and tater sald sides ere very nice.

what's the point? I know the owners have a humane farm, and I like this idea. Maybe they need to sel this idea more in the store, then we would knoiw why we get scrap meat in the sandwich :((

We were there today and had a smoked chicken sandwich, just that there was almost no meat in it---

there was so little, we can't comment on the quality or taste of the meat.

the slaw and tater sald sides ere very nice.

what's the point? I know the owners have a humane farm, and I like this idea. Maybe they need to sel this idea more in the store, then we would knoiw why we get scrap meat in the sandwich :((

That is too bad.

If you ask them, I am confident they will have a very informed answer. I value this place as much for the information they can provide as the food they serve, it is a bit refreshing to have a knowledgeable person on the other end of the counter.