Retail Center At 550 Heights Blvd.

segovia

i guess i went into mccains once a month or so in an effort to support a local business...

as time went on, it became a little annoying at how inconsistent the inventory became...i would go back in to get that sauce or cheese i liked before and they no longer had it or it was always 'on order' or something similar...

i keep thinking if they had an ice cream cone counter......what a difference that might make??

• 1 year later...

OK, to hell with Wally World coming to the hood.... Here's some exciting news.

Courtesy of MyTable:

"In the world of locally raised and produced food, today's big news is that chef Ryan Pera has left The Grove to join Morgan Weber of Revival Meats to open Revival Market in the old McCain's Market location at 550 Heights Blvd. The guys will source and sell locally raised meats, prepare charcuterie (including fresh and cured sausages, pate and confits) and make and sell their own condiments. Need a sandwich? Revival Market will feature a deli (breads by Slow Dough Bread Co.), and there will also be ready-to-eat foods for carry-out. Pera says the shop should be open by the end of the year. All we can say is, wish it were in our neighborhood."

• Like 2

This is outstanding news. Glad to have it so close, and glad to see someone occupy that space.

RM does some really special pork, so I'm exciting to see what they'll do with it. Given the cure times on some charcuterie, I'm even more excited to see what they'll be selling 12-18 months after opening.

Revival has already established itself by supplying a number of well regarded restaurants and, to a lesser extent, to the public at the Eastside Farmer's Market. This seems to me to be a natural progression in expanding their business to the public. To Kylejack's point, i think they have a much better chance if they remain focused on the meats and having anything else be incidental to that.

• 3 months later...

That address is residential. (I happen to drive by that stretch of 27th on my way to Home Depot.) Presumably that's Morgan's contact address for mail order inquiries.

Work at 6th and Heights appears to be underway.

It appears you're correct. The HBJ is also reporting the W 27 location, as well. I thought maybe they'd be replacing the tax guy with meat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mrs. Porchman went today. She returned home very excited. She spoke with Morgan. In addition to local piggies, charcuterie, and cured items, they are going to feature:

-Heights honey

-Local duck

-Local heirloom turkeys (ask Morgan)

-Local lamb

-Texas olive oil

-Fresh bread

-Coffee

-Unusual varietals of dried beans

-Houston Dairymaid cheese (of which Mrs. Porchman brought some home :) ).

-Really rich milk (with a cream head)

-Fresh herbs (including chervil) and veggies

-Grain grinds (flour, porridges, grits)

-Their own jam

-Special butters

Regrettably, no edible ferns. :P

I look forward to going myself, and I wish Morgan and his wife very good luck with this venture.

• Like 3

Do you ever find yourself in one of the following situations:

1) You are in NYC or some big city (or even Austin) and run across some locally run specialty grocer or whatnot and think: "I'd never want to live in this hellhole of a city, but, damn, it's great to have shops like this in your neighborhood that you can walk to."

2) You go to CM of WF here in Houston and think about how much you like shopping there, but also about how much of a pain in the butt it is to shop there.

Well, Revival solves both of these problems (i know, life is so hard). You won't find 200 kinds of cheeses or pasta or whatever, but based on my visit yesterday, you can stop by there and get everything you'd need to make dinner. Or to grab chips and salsa and a couple limes for a margarita. Porchman covers a lot of what's there, and there are still lots of empty racks that will be filled in the upcoming weeks. Also, I talked to Morgan for a while (very personable guy) and he is all about listening to feedback from customers on they kinds of things they should carry. Keep in mind that the idea isn't necessarily that everything here is organic or "natural", but that it is local. Not that he doesn't strive for those things, but he knows pretty much all of the producers of his products and they do tend to lack all those additives and preservatives and whatnot in their products. And here's the best part, the prices are generally cheaper than CM and WF. You might spend close to $10/lb for deli ham at one of those places. $6.99 here and he's curing it himself.

So, no, I'm not a paid spokesperson ... just a very excited customer. I admit that i am occasionally jealous of my brother in Austin because of the cool, local shops he has at his finger tips. This is exactly that sort of place that has been largely missing here in Houston.

• Like 2

Do you ever find yourself in one of the following situations:

1) You are in NYC or some big city (or even Austin) and run across some locally run specialty grocer or whatnot and think: "I'd never want to live in this hellhole of a city, but, damn, it's great to have shops like this in your neighborhood that you can walk to."

Not really. I generally consider Houston to be the hellhole.

I've been twice already. I really like what they're putting together here. Honestly its what McCains should have been but never was. Morgan and Stacey are family friends so I AM biased, but this place really fills a well needed niche in the area. My father-in-law spent thousands upon thousands of dollars getting his cattle ranch certified as 'organic' and it was a very costly and stressful event for him, and a process that I now feel is probably best suited for the big farms with deep pockets. So even though Morgans farm (and his farm suppliers at Revival) may not be organically 'certified', I have NO problems buying there because I'm confident that their methods are respectable and humane.

Morgan also mentioned he's planning on having butcher classes and organizing field trips down to the farm. I think that's a fantastic idea.