Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Not much going on recently. Here's the beginning works of that bridge that's going to go across Brays:

2011-05-22_17-35-15_774.jpg?t=1306124923

A closer picture but its a bit grainy.

2011-05-22_17-35-20_408.jpg?t=1306124833

Bigger overview. Sorry it seems a bit blurry. Dont know what was up with my Droid.

2011-05-22_17-27-30_573.jpg?t=1306124978

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Has anyone seen the bridge over Brays?? The one down from Almeda/MacGregor? It is MASSIVE. The height of the arches of this bridge is jaw dropping. I'd have to say this has to be quite an impressive pedestrian bridge for Houston

Has anyone seen the bridge over Brays?? The one down from Almeda/MacGregor? It is MASSIVE. The height of the arches of this bridge is jaw dropping. I'd have to say this has to be quite an impressive pedestrian bridge for Houston

Could someone talk a picture the next time they are in the area?

• Like 1

I'd like someone with design/engineering knowledge to explain to me WHY this pedestrian/cycling bridge is so massive. The similar-functioning new bridge over Buffalo Bayou doesn't have this one's height or general size. Is this simply for aesthetics, or is there a needed engineering reason behind this?

Not that I mind the design - I actually think the renditions are quite beautiful - but I'm just wondering if the reason is aesthetic or required physically...

Edited by Simbha

I agree, this is a much more interesting bridge than the new bridge over Buffalo Bayou and Buffalo Bayou is a much higher profile area which is seen more often by visitors to the city etc. And most Bridges over Braes are usually extremely simple, not suspension bridges so my guess is that the suspension design was just for aesthetics.

Maybe they thought that Braes Bayou was so ugly that it needed a really nice looking bridge to make it more desirable as a recreation spot... :)

I'd like someone with design/engineering knowledge to explain to me WHY this pedestrian/cycling bridge is so massive. The similar-functioning new bridge over Buffalo Bayou doesn't have this one's height or general size. Is this simply for aesthetics, or is there a needed engineering reason behind this?

Not that I mind the design - I actually think the renditions are quite beautiful - but I'm just wondering if the reason is aesthetic or required physically...

Based on just images alone, it looks like the only reasoning between the two bridge types is architectural. I believe the span, and elevation for the the buffalo bayou pedestrian bridge is longer and higher respectively than the Brays Bayou Bridge. That being said, the loads and spans associated for both these bridges are so low that (to an extent) the only legit worry is cost... because buffalo bayou appears longer, it may have been less feasible from the cost standpoint to do some crazy architectural structure. Finally, from an engineering standpoint the Brays bridge pictured above is kind of a silly design, but thats why architects make the big bucks compared to us structural engineers.

Also, just to clarify I do Power Plant/Oil Refinery Civil work--- so my knowledge may somewhat be limited.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks good to me. More trees, yea. The hurricanes and drought have taken so many.

Is this part of the construction around Hermann Park, near the Dowling statue, that leads to Hwy 288? It was taking place when I left work in 2007. Is it still a mess or near completion in that area? Nice to know the project has included the Lawndale/ East End area.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I rode the trail today and took some pictures of the new bridge. It's pretty cool but unfortunately STILL not open to the public, although it looks like construction is finished. Also I got to check out some of the trail improvements which are great but unfortunately the trails aren't all connected yet and there are still many dead ends and places where you have to go around "do not enter" signs if you want to ride them (many people were). I wonder when this project is supposed to be complete.

img0579mgn.jpg

img0583kj.jpg

img0584qc.jpg

img0594oc.jpg

img0596iy.jpg

img0598lr.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Moving to Old Braeswood within the month - I really hate leaving Montrose, but babies happen

My understanding is that Project Brays is going to virtually eliminate the 100 yr flood plain around Brays Bayou upon completion in 2017. Is that true? Just curious as our new place is on the edge of the 100 yr (flood insurance is minimal) and well, that would be nice. I'm afraid that might tend towards more tear downs and re-development, but there's already some of that going on. I'm surprised so many of those 50's style ranch homes are still around

• Like 2

I've enjoyed my evening walks with my friends along the newly widened portion of Brays Bayou from Ardmore west to Hermann Park. The new pedestrian bridge isn't officially open yet, but I've been across it a few times. The pedestrian tunnel underneath MacGregor was opened within the past week to connect the new bridge to the trail that goes around Hermann Park. It's nice to see the improvement in flood control and amenities in the area.

Does anyone know if they're replacing or expanding the 1931 vintage Almeda Rd. bridge? Unlike at other bridges, the hike and bike trails do not extend underneath that bridge, but instead stop short. It looks like there is room for a tight squeeze underneath as-is, but I figure they're waiting until a new bridge is built or the current bridge is extended before doing so.

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

So I'm a little confused about long term plans for Brays Bayou after the recent vote that will expand greenspace and parks along our bayou systems. I've emailed the city (which just added me to pointless email list), I've found a website for the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan, but I can't find anything that talks about how this vote will impact Brays Bayou. Is there a master plan for it somewhere? I did find a website from the Flood Control District called http://www.projectbrays.org/ but that looks geared towards flood control improvements by 2014 only.

So I'm a little confused about long term plans for Brays Bayou after the recent vote that will expand greenspace and parks along our bayou systems. I've emailed the city (which just added me to pointless email list), I've found a website for the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan, but I can't find anything that talks about how this vote will impact Brays Bayou. Is there a master plan for it somewhere? I did find a website from the Flood Control District called http://www.projectbrays.org/ but that looks geared towards flood control improvements by 2014 only.

Ditto...sounds like we both live near Brays.  Project Brays and this other deal are unrelated, at least as far as I can tell.  My fear is that since Brays already has trails along our stretch we might not see much improvement, as it seems the focus is on adding and connecting trails.  Not sure what remains on Project Brays, though it sounds like a lot of the work is upstream and focused on flood control 

Here are some websites on the Bayou Greenways 2020

http://houstonparksboard.org/bgi/2020/

http://www.bayougreenways.org/

https://www.h-gac.com/community/qualityplaces/workshops/documents/stw-09-30-2011_The_Potential_for_Houston's_Bayou_Greenways.pdf

The first one lists "Braeswood Homeowners Association" as a stakeholder but I'm not sure that actually means anything

Thanks for the links. Yeah, I live in Knollwood Village (Braeswood Area) and was hoping to learn about possible improvements along the bayou within loop 610. I was hoping for a dedicated trail bridge instead of having to cross on Buffalo Speedway.

Ditto...sounds like we both live near Brays.  Project Brays and this other deal are unrelated, at least as far as I can tell.  My fear is that since Brays already has trails along our stretch we might not see much improvement, as it seems the focus is on adding and connecting trails.  Not sure what remains on Project Brays, though it sounds like a lot of the work is upstream and focused on flood control 

Here are some websites on the Bayou Greenways 2020

http://houstonparksboard.org/bgi/2020/

http://www.bayougreenways.org/

https://www.h-gac.com/community/qualityplaces/workshops/documents/stw-09-30-2011_The_Potential_for_Houston's_Bayou_Greenways.pdf

The first one lists "Braeswood Homeowners Association" as a stakeholder but I'm not sure that actually means anything

I think the majority of the project is for flood control They built a basin with a permanent water level and nice park around it at Bellaire and the Beltway (Arthur Storey Park). We've got something similar, but even larger with a large hill, of all things, going in between Eldridge and Hwy 6 at the Westpark tollroad. Not sure what bayou that is but I think this sort of thing is going on all around town, particularly upstream on various bayous where they can catch the runoff early and protect the downstream areas.

• 1 year later...

From Cohen's enewsletter

Council Member Cohen and District K Council Member Green met with Chief Engineer Steve Fitzgerald of the Harris County Flood Control District to receive an update on Project Brays. Districts C and K include the neighborhoods hardest hit by the Memorial Day floods and, once completed, Project Brays is anticipated to reduce structural flooding in neighborhoods along Brays Bayou including Braeswood Place, Willow Meadows, Meyerland, and Maplewood in District C. The project involves the creation of several detention basins (which are nearly complete), channel-widening, and bridge upgrades and has a projected completion date of 2021. Council Members Cohen and Green are committed to advocating in Congress to ensure steady federal funding for this Harris County project.