Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

New Meyerland pedestrian bridge named after the late Rabbi Samuel Karff | Community Impact

"State, county and local officials gathered in Meyerland on April 9 to announce the new pedestrian and bike bridge over Brays Bayou Greenway that will be named after the late Rabbi Samuel Karff.

Karff served as the senior rabbi of Congregation Beth Israel from 1975 to 1999. He also advocated for civil rights, social justice and equality, according to a news release."

304160.jpeg&w=900&q=95&f=jpg

304169.jpeg

304168.jpeg

• Like 7

To be honest, I don't understand the rationale behind this pedestrian bridge.  Both Stella Link (rehabbed bridge) and Buffalo Speedway (new bridge) have decently wide sidewalks.  However, to the east (where you'd anticipate more traffic due to TMC proximity) the sidewalks along Kirby and Main are ridiculously narrow and along much more heavily traveled streets.

Edited by OkieEric
typo

Not new, but I liked this picture of the bridge over the bayou and surrounding area at Mason Park, circa 2022.

From the Chronicle's home page today

ratio3x2_640.webp

I could've sworn there was a thread with photos of the construction here but can't find it.

Mason Park Bridge - SWA Group

G2LD - gandy squared lighting design

Mason Park Bridge Projects - Stiver Engineering

On 4/9/2024 at 6:22 PM, OkieEric said:

To be honest, I don't understand the rationale behind this pedestrian bridge.  Both Stella Link (rehabbed bridge) and Buffalo Speedway (new bridge) have decently wide sidewalks.  However, to the east (where you'd anticipate more traffic due to TMC proximity) the sidewalks along Kirby and Main are ridiculously narrow and along much more heavily traveled streets.

I was wondering the same thing. I regular access the bayou trail coming from Newcastle, so I just cross at Stella Link (with young kids, no issue since they re-did it with wider sidewalks). It seems this new ped bridge serves a small community. The only other use I could think of us eventual continuity to avoid road bridges altogether. Are they going to extend the trail on the north side of the bayou west of Buffalo Speedway? If so you could stay on that trail, then cross over at this new pedestrian bridge to the south side which they are working on to continue further west.

But even then (as an avid user of such trails), i don't see the overall value relative to other improvements/connectivity that could make an big impact.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Not new, but I liked this picture of the bridge over the bayou and surrounding area at Mason Park, circa 2022.

From the Chronicle's home page today

ratio3x2_640.webp

I could've sworn there was a thread with photos of the construction here but can't find it.

Mason Park Bridge - SWA Group

G2LD - gandy squared lighting design

Mason Park Bridge Projects - Stiver Engineering

One of my absolute favorite examples of (basically) brutalism. Really beautiful up close.

• Like 1