Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

They have also torn down the Buffalo Speedway bridge over Brays. Actually was a good thing for me because I was chasing a Bike Tag somewhere on Brays and this forced me turn around and go eastbound where I ended up finding it.

wtT1xBo.jpg

The Bike Tag turned out to be at McGregor Park near UH.

u24tCDh.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

They have also torn down the Buffalo Speedway bridge over Brays. Actually was a good thing for me because I was chasing a Bike Tag somewhere on Brays and this forced me turn around and go eastbound where I ended up finding it.

wtT1xBo.jpg

u24tCDh.jpg

Bike Tag?

On 3/13/2021 at 9:29 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Braeswood at Chimney Rock. They're creating one wide bridge to replace the two small bridges? Just like they did down the block on Hillcroft.

Eu83C45.jpg

They didn't replace any bridges at Hillcroft. It's been one big bridge since the 60s. They raised the current Hillcroft bridge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Bike Tag?

It's a game on reddit/bikehouston. Someone finds a unique accessible spot in Houston(most of the players play it inside the loop, the few times someone ventured outside the loop the game almost died). They take a pic of their bike at the undisclosed site and it becomes the current Tag. Riders have to find it and then create a new Bike Tag. It has gotten very popular since the lockdown but I've been playing it since Bike Tag #38 and am one of the most frequent players. It is up to Bike Tag #334 with the Tag I created on today's ride. If you go to the website one of the players created a map of all the found Tags to try to keep repeat Tags out of the game. I love playing, it gives something to do on my on my ride and is challenging to figure out where the Tag is. I use Google & Maps, having previous knowledge of the Tag, and looking up clues in the pic. Plus when riding your'e always thinking about possible locations for a new future Tag.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bikehouston/

• Like 9

21 hours ago, hindesky said:

u24tCDh.jpg

such an under utilized park!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Holy S...they are taking down Almeda St.'s bridges? What is the timeline on that?

Man, I can't remember the last time the city attacked infrastructure issues like this head on and so rapidly. I hope this does help with flooding. 

• Like 1

The current (Almeda) bridge will be demolished and replaced with a higher, longer and wider bridge. This will increase the capacity of the channel, allowing for more water to flow under the bridge. The new bridge will include five 11-foot wide lanes, a left turn lane and 10-foot sidewalks. Construction will begin in Winter 2020/2021 and is scheduled to last approximately one year, ending in Winter 2021/2022.

https://www.projectbrays.org/all-segments/segment-2/about-almeda-rd-bridge/

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

They seem to just be replacing the bridges, is this going to help with flooding or does is just replace worn out bridges and improve traffic flow? 

the bridges will be higher, and the pilings will be fewer. so there will be less impediment to the flow of water.

theoretically, this should allow more volume of water to move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

I just wish they could do something about the bottleneck at 288 where the bridges, concrete supports, and earthworks still create a serious threat to the med center.

That area has already been addressed.  The original plan called for raising those bridges, but from a 2010 article on the Project Brays website:

"Furthermore, rather than replacing the S.H. 288 Bridge to accommodate a wider channel, engineers were able to design a wider bayou under the bridge using 67,000 square feet of retaining walls – a more practical and less expensive alternative to reconstructing the bridge, Farid [Project Brays Program Manager] said. “We’re still able to achieve the same hydraulic requirements in the bayou but at a lower cost and with far less disruptions to drivers,” he added."

https://www.projectbrays.org/press-releases/the-harris-county-flood-control-district-begins-one-of-the-largest-phases-of-project-brays/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2021 at 7:27 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Taking out trees in the median on Chimney Rock.  Any idea on the scope of work here?

8zT9ahx.jpg

This bridge is also being replaced.  They are doing a single bridge, not a double bridge, and I believe they are taking out the trees because the new bridge will go down the middle. The same is being done at South Rice.

New Chimney Rock bridge:

mJAw5yN.jpg

New South Rice bridge:
ePyuKQy.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 2:59 PM, rechlin said:

This bridge is also being replaced.  They are doing a single bridge, not a double bridge, and I believe they are taking out the trees because the new bridge will go down the middle. The same is being done at South Rice.

Large tree before it was taken out.

d7JP7Pu.jpg

Median being worked on.

m3mS0RN.jpg

• Like 5