Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I've been complaining about the way Brays Bayou looks for some time, and now it seems that they are going to try to make it look nicer, as well as accommodate more water. I noticed yesterday that the bike path was closed from Almeda to the "Columbia Tap" trail bridge to the east (near Ardmore street). I found this info online about the construction at this bart of the bayou which started on June 21.

http://www.projectbrays.org/news/2010-0708.html

I always complained about the fact that Brays had so few trees along its banks compared with Buffalo Bayou, but hopefully they are going to fix that.

I live off S. MacGregor and the widening to the Bayou on my end is certainly an improvement, but I still don't get the concrete.

• Like 1

I would hope that they would extend the ped-bike trail which passes under SH288 a very short distance furthur west under Almeda Road and east travelling MacGregor Road Bridges. The trail (as is) forces ped-bikes through TWO nasty intersections. It is all about "connectivity".

• Like 1

I noticed they were doing just that.. at least on the 3rd ward side. The bike path seems like it will now go under Ardmore rather than crossing the street. I also hope they do the same for Almeda and MacGregor

• Like 1

The place that needs an under-the-bridge path the most is at N/S Braeswood Blvd and Buffalo Speedway. I have to deal with on coming cars from both directions. ... oh even maybe build a seperate bridge for the brays bayou trail. Besides that, I agree. They definitely need a path under Almeda too. Would make a pleasant ride from UofH to TMC

• Like 1

The place that needs an under-the-bridge path the most is at N/S Braeswood Blvd and Buffalo Speedway. I have to deal with on coming cars from both directions. ... oh even maybe build a seperate bridge for the brays bayou trail. Besides that, I agree. They definitely need a path under Almeda too. Would make a pleasant ride from UofH to TMC

They're working their way up the channel. You're probably a couple years from that section being complete. HCFCD's construction schedule indicates that the Buffalo Spedway bridge and adjacent channel work should be complete in 2011...but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 1

Hey... I may have seen you taking that shot! If you took it at the one at Almeda. May have been someone else. Idk

So is everyone else taking the Columbia Tap bridge over 288 to go from UofH to TMC or vice versa?

And did anyone else see the HUGE slab of concrete that snapped off under the bridge of Scott Street? The county seriously needs to get that checked out before it does some worse damage.

I noticed they were doing just that.. at least on the 3rd ward side. The bike path seems like it will now go under Ardmore rather than crossing the street. I also hope they do the same for Almeda and MacGregor

I hope they do that. I've seen people get hit or narrowly avoid getting hit by cars and buses going through that intersection. Drivers hit that curve on S. MacGregor before Ardmore and think they're on a F1 course or something!

• Like 1

Hey... I may have seen you taking that shot! If you took it at the one at Almeda. May have been someone else. Idk

Yeah I took that photo on Almeda on Sat. I was on a purple-ish Bianchi bike. Where were you?

• 6 months later...

A few construction photos:

img6943l.jpg

Nice to read http://www.hcfcd.org/trees.html that we won't be left with a linear park that resembles a suburban back yard of pure lawn, but that 1400 trees will be planted along the banks too, although I would prefer the total natural jungle approach with a trail running near the concrete bank. I go to the Willow Waterhole often and am grateful that it's there, although it's a bit minimalist at this time. This is such an amazing project and I feel fortunate to be around when while it's happening, and that the city and county as a whole are finally seeing aesthetics as something of great benefit to us all.

I've also noticed that it appears they may be building another bridge near Scott going towards 288. Has anyone else seen this too? They've been digging up dirt on the north side of the bayou and on both sides they have areas marked off directly across from each other. Just a guess though

The trees will be awesome! I've been saying for a long time that there need to be more trees on the banks of the bayou.

I am kind of sad that I can no longer ride the trail under the 288 while this is under construction. I hate crossing over and going past all of the cars on the 288 service road/onramp, but it'll all be more than worth it when this is finished. It looks like more of the trail will go under the bridges rather than crossing at street level when this will be done so it will be a nice change. I bike the area often so I'll try to post more photos soon.

The trees will be awesome! I've been saying for a long time that there need to be more trees on the banks of the bayou.

I am kind of sad that I can no longer ride the trail under the 288 while this is under construction. I hate crossing over and going past all of the cars on the 288 service road/onramp, but it'll all be more than worth it when this is finished. It looks like more of the trail will go under the bridges rather than crossing at street level when this will be done so it will be a nice change. I bike the area often so I'll try to post more photos soon.

You dont have to do that. There's the bike trail that goes from Shenandoah Street to Dixie Drive.

But anyway, you're right. Sounds like the finished product will be better.

You dont have to do that. There's the bike trail that goes from Shenandoah Street to Dixie Drive.

But anyway, you're right. Sounds like the finished product will be better.

I didn't know Columbia Tap went that far until I checked it out just now. That's cool but it's a bit out of my way since I'm coming from the other direction, but I might give it a try one day. In Google it doesn't look like the Dixie Drive bike path entrance goes continuously to the Braes Bayou path crossing of Columbia Tap, but I am hoping the google satellite view is just outdated. Also, I am guessing that Dixie Drive is where the fancy new bridge is going to cross Bray's Bayou in Hermann Park. Is that right? If so, that would make a lot of sense. Once that bridge is ready, I would have another way of getting to the Columbia Tap trail without cycling on the street.

Edited by Jax

I didn't know Columbia Tap went that far until I checked it out just now. That's cool but it's a bit out of my way since I'm coming from the other direction, but I might give it a try one day. In Google it doesn't look like the Dixie Drive bike path entrance goes continuously to the Braes Bayou path crossing of Columbia Tap, but I am hoping the google satellite view is just outdated. Also, I am guessing that Dixie Drive is where the fancy new bridge is going to cross Bray's Bayou in Hermann Park. Is that right? If so, that would make a lot of sense. Once that bridge is ready, I would have another way of getting to the Columbia Tap trail without cycling on the street.

Unfortunately it doesn't go through. You have to take a neighborhood road, Ardmore Street. Since youre coming from the other direction, I see what youre saying.

That's exactly right. You'd take Dixie Road all the way, cross Almeda and take the new bridge. Can't wait for it to be finished.

I just hope that someday they build that small section of the Columbia Tap.

Am I the only one here that is concerned that landscaping the floodways will counteract such expensive flood control efforts?

George Bush Park is built in a similar fashion. It floods once or twice a year and doesn't appear to have any significant impact on the landscaping.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. Ahhh... the Spires (had a coworker that worked there)... sure there's a great view everywhere you look!

Anyway, let me finally post some pictures of this other bridge I was talking about that it appears they are building over Brays Bayou near Scott.

2011-03-12_15-36-38_474.jpg

2011-03-12_15-36-56_193.jpg

2011-03-12_15-37-09_807.jpg

• Like 1