Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

On 4/27/2021 at 10:13 AM, bobruss said:

The Brays  Project is a great example of recognizing a problem and implementing a studied approach to flood management. The addition of  many new retention ponds, the construction of new bridges, and the re-shaping of the contours and widths of the bayou hopefully will allow for more capacity, and will mitigate most of the flooding issues. The bonus to everyone is the  creation of new and improved  hike and bike paths which have become  some of the most important connectors in our alternative transportation system. It has also brought about the creation of many new parks and recreational areas. I think this is a win win win. Especially for the home owners along Brays bayou who have suffered through so many devastating floods. Kudos to everyone involved in this massive undertaking and hopefully it truly makes a difference.

I just wish they could do something about the bottleneck at 288 where the bridges, concrete supports, and earthworks still create a serious threat to the med center.

Two of the stormwater detention areas on upper Brays they turned into magnificent parks with the detention area landscaped into lakes (Arthur Storey and Fiorenza Parks).  I hope they repeat this brilliant strategy on the other bayous around town and then connect them all with bayou-side hike and bike trails.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

There are two alternative crossing within a mile to the southwest and two alternative crossings within a mile to the east.

You can also take a u-turn on MacGregor just a block or two west of the bridge to cross to the other side.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Brays Bayou Master Plan
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, samagon said:

Telephone road looks like it's getting closer to being done.

I didn't realize that they were doing the bridge over 75th street as well. it's currently closed.

I saw them doing work on the Calhoun St bridge but it just looks like cosmetic repairs I think. They have it closed to traffic though.

OJluGxg.jpg

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Is Someone Going To Build Another Bridge On Brays Bayou
  • The title was changed to Project Brays Gets Trashed
  • 2 weeks later...

I never noticed the six columns on the Calhoun bridge, and my question to the designers on the forum: was water flow and the like not a thought when these bridges were built? If they are able to do such a bridge with two sets of columns or what not vs 6, why not do that from the beginning? I am 100% for all of this, it just seems like alot of what is done by the city of Houston is correcting design choices that overutilized concrete/construction materials. 

• Like 2

Concrete is far stronger now than it used to be, and these bridges are quite old.  If you look at concrete bridges in general, there has been a trend in a reduction of columns over time, especially comparing bridges built in the 1930s (my guess on the age of this bridge) to those built today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here in Texas, the "row of columns" are called bents, in some other places in the country/world, they're called piers. The first and last bents of a bridge are called abutments.

The number of bents is determined by superstructure type (CIP slab, slab beams, box beams, concrete i-girders or steel girders) and hydraulics of the stream. The bigger the beam, => the longer the span, => the less number of bents, => the deeper the bridge, => the less space under the bridge for water to flow.

The water flow through a bridge is calculated by hydraulic engineers who determine whether the bridge needs to be raised or extended to accommodate the water flow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MexAmerican_Moose said:

Here in Texas, the "row of columns" are called bents, in some other places in the country/world, they're called piers. The first and last bents of a bridge are called abutments.

The number of bents is determined by superstructure type (CIP slab, slab beams, box beams, concrete i-girders or steel girders) and hydraulics of the stream. The bigger the beam, => the longer the span, => the less number of bents, => the deeper the bridge, => the less space under the bridge for water to flow.

The water flow through a bridge is calculated by hydraulic engineers who determine whether the bridge needs to be raised or extended to accommodate the water flow.

Less space for water to flow?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Less space for water to flow?

Yes, in bridge design, the bridge engineer doesn't change the road profile (difficult to change in urban areas), so the deeper beam will create less area under the bridge for the water to flow. More area was added (thicker bridge) to impede water flow than was removed by taking out a couple of bents.

However, less bents is also good because it prevents debris from being trapped at the columns and impeding water flow. It takes just a couple of iterations to get it right.

Also a lot of the new bridges are being built with recently updated rain/hydraulic data.

Edited by MexAmerican_Moose
  • Like 6

driving home last night I noticed that the Telephone Road bridge appears to be near completion, from my untrained eye, it looks like they just need to add some landscaping, and paint some lines on the road.

I also made a point of looking at the Wayside bridge, it has many columns, or as I am learning from this thread, bents, so I guess that one will probably go under the knife after the finish Telephone?

I wonder about Spur 5 near UH, will those need to be rebuilt too?

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, X.R. said:

I never noticed the six columns on the Calhoun bridge, and my question to the designers on the forum: was water flow and the like not a thought when these bridges were built? If they are able to do such a bridge with two sets of columns or what not vs 6, why not do that from the beginning? I am 100% for all of this, it just seems like alot of what is done by the city of Houston is correcting design choices that overutilized concrete/construction materials. 

That's exactly what it is. We are correcting a lot of things from poor design and planning. 

• Like 2

I'm sure the required hydraulic opening of the original bridge design (open area under bridge) is much, much lower than what is calculated now (newer rainfall data, more construction upstream of the bayou/more stormwater runoff).

https://www.projectbrays.org/all-segments/segment-1/about-telephone-bridge/

https://bridgehunter.com/tx/harris/bh50785/

This bridge is from 1931!! Great service life. I like the old school rails on the bridge tho, i wish we constructed more similar rails in TX. We cant because of the traffic rating required at high speeds.

Edited by MexAmerican_Moose
  • Like 4

On 7/14/2021 at 3:44 PM, MexAmerican_Moose said:

https://bridgehunter.com/tx/harris/bh50785/

This bridge is from 1931!! Great service life. I like the old school rails on the bridge tho, i wish we constructed more similar rails in TX. We cant because of the traffic rating required at high speeds.

you have to remember that bride was built for Model T type cars, back when the Old Spanish Trail was the main east-west route in the southern US.  It looks like a typical 1920's bridge, you can still find them all over the place, most have been decommissioned

• Like 4

I am kind of surprised that the concrete paving of the bayou channel has lasted so well. Considering that the concrete at the condo tower that collapsed in Florida was "rapidly deteriorating" because of standing pools of water, this must be a very different type of concrete if it can go 70+ years of constant water and debris and still look like it's ready for another 70.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I am kind of surprised that the concrete paving of the bayou channel has lasted so well. Considering that the concrete at the condo tower that collapsed in Florida was "rapidly deteriorating" because of standing pools of water, this must be a very different type of concrete if it can go 70+ years of constant water and debris and still look like it's ready for another 70.

Also not exposed to salt water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2021 at 6:29 PM, hindesky said:

They have also torn down the Buffalo Speedway bridge over Brays. Actually was a good thing for me because I was chasing a Bike Tag somewhere on Brays and this forced me turn around and go eastbound where I ended up finding it.

wtT1xBo.jpg

The Bike Tag turned out to be at McGregor Park near UH.

u24tCDh.jpg

forgive my stupidity here, but just wondered what a "bike tag" is ?  Thanks.

56 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

forgive my stupidity here, but just wondered what a "bike tag" is ?  Thanks.

Bike Tag is a game some people play on Reddit/bikehouston https://www.reddit.com/r/bikehouston/. You find a unique accessible site and take a pic of your bike with the object/site/mural. Riders have to find that tag and then create a new tag. I've been playing for years and is something I often look for when riding around. You look for clues in the pic and then use Google/Google Maps to try finding the pic. It got really popular during the covid shutdown since many were working from home. It has slowed down recently because many are back at work but were are up to Tag #367. I first started playing at Tag#39. Someone has now created a Bike Tag map to help prevent reusing past tags.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:17 AM, hindesky said:

Bike Tag is a game some people play on Reddit/bikehouston https://www.reddit.com/r/bikehouston/. You find a unique accessible site and take a pic of your bike with the object/site/mural. Riders have to find that tag and then create a new tag. I've been playing for years and is something I often look for when riding around. You look for clues in the pic and then use Google/Google Maps to try finding the pic. It got really popular during the covid shutdown since many were working from home. It has slowed down recently because many are back at work but were are up to Tag #367. I first started playing at Tag#39. Someone has now created a Bike Tag map to help prevent reusing past tags.

thank you.  i appreciate the information.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...