Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 11:39 AM, samagon said:

this is the only one remaining East of 288?

I wonder why Scott was left out?

That's actually a good question. Surprised Scott didn't get rebuilt too.

9 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Scott St. bridge isn't elevated and has 7 rows of pillars. It should get replaced but it's not on the list for some reason. This screen shot is from the south bank trail.

https://www.hcfcd.org/Activity/Active-Projects/Brays-Bayou/C-11-Project-Brays/Project-Brays-Construction-Updates

bOTAEYz.png

That actually looks quite elevated above the channel and very long.

2 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

That actually looks quite elevated above the channel and very long.

Not as high as all the others Almeda, Ardmore and Calhoun seemed to have been raised about 12-16" higher than the original bridges. Plus they reduced the number of pillars from 6-7 to just 2. 

2 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Not as high as all the others Almeda, Ardmore and Calhoun seemed to have been raised about 12-16" higher than the original bridges. Plus they reduced the number of pillars from 6-7 to just 2. 

How does it compare to those before they were replaced and how does it compare to other bridges that were not replaced?

Edited by Houston19514

25 minutes ago, hindesky said:

https://www.hcfcd.org/Activity/Active-Projects/Brays-Bayou/C-11-Project-Brays#_

Not sure why they didn't do some of the others but I would guess due to the huge amounts of traffic on them. Main, Fannin(light rail on it), Bertner,  S. Braeswood, Holcombe and Scott haven't been done

We're not really known for avoiding projects because they might have a short-time impact on a large amount of traffic.  😉  (Thank goodness.)  

Probably had more to do with hydrology.

From Hillcroft (the western-most bridge replaced by Project Brays) to Buffalo Bayou, I count 57 road, highway and railroad bridges. (plus 7 pedestrian/bikepath bridges).  According to the Project Brays website, "modifications/extensions/replacements will be made to 32 bridges".

Edited by Houston19514

About a year ago I called  the Brays project about the Scott street bridge. They had almost finished the Ardmore street bridge and were starting the Calhoun bridge. I left a message about the Scott street bridge. We went up to Durango  for a vacation and were up at 11,000 ft in a beautiful log cabin. There was no service in the house. You had to walk down a 1/4 mile to the gate and you could get some service. I had walked down to the gate to try and make contact and check messages and while down there I received a call from an engineer for the project returning my call. It surprised the hell out of me. I asked him when they were going to start work on Scott street since I live just east of it, and use the bridge quite often. He explained that the Scott street bridge was not going to be rebuilt because it's flow was satisfactory. I didn't want to argue with him because I was actually very pleased I had received a call from him and I was in the mountains. I know during Harvey the water was being slowed by the bottom of the bridge when the bayou crested. I have video of it stacking up against the bridge but we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully he was right.

• Like 7

On 5/1/2022 at 8:33 PM, bobruss said:

About a year ago I called  the Brays project about the Scott street bridge.

You didn't get the answer you were looking for, but good for you for calling.  Too many people just moan on the internet and then do nothing about it.  If people were more involved in the real world, then the forces-that-be would listen to the people more

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I inquired with Harris County Flood Control and got a very nice voice mail from them in response regarding the Scott Street Bridge.  He said that they inserted little "walls" under Scott Street bridge to get the flow that is needed to go under it for rain events; that is why they didn't need to replace the bridge as they did for bridges such as Calhoun and Ardmore, which were both a lot lower than Scott Street bridge and they couldn't get the cross sectional area underneath those bridges as they could for Scott Street.

• Like 4

According to Community Impact...

"Federal, county and city leaders gathered at Brays Bayou Park May 26 to celebrate the completion of Project Brays, a plan to reduce flooding along Brays Bayou that has been underway in some form for the past 35 years"

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/environment/2022/05/27/after-nearly-30-years-of-construction-harris-county-celebrates-completion-of-project-brays/

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

This one seems to be taking longer than the others. I know Ardmore took a year. I wish they'd wrap this one up. It's been over a year and they still have work to do. I'm ready for MacGregor to open back up to Calhoun.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

South Rice and Chimney Rock bridges completed and open per NextDoor and Brays Bayou Association.  All lanes open in all directions but there will be temporary closures for finishing work.

Some street signs were installed incorrectly - both wrong intersections and wrong way, apparently - and a tagger has already visited.

Ramps are in place but pathways under the bridges for bikes and walkers are still just dirt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, samagon said:

those sidewalks!

You should see the other side! Fully protected bike lane, kinda like the one on Forest Hill Blvd. The wide sidewalks, though, seem to be a theme for all of the new bridges over Brays - 75th, Lawndale, Chimney Rock (I think it's Chimney Rock? One of the ones out there over yonder, anyway).

I am, as kids surely cannot possibly still say, here for it.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So...are bikes not allowed on the protected part? Or are the paint gutters just there as options?

Edit: sincere question - does anybody know whether bikes are prohibited from using the protected pathway if there are painted lanes on the roadway?

20221009_094515.jpg

Edited by 004n063
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2