Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

Asking as a new transplant - seems to me all things I noted (new restaurant/bakery/bar, renovated Baldwin and Grover Parks, Superblock, reconstucted walkable Caroline St, etc) will be located in or walkable from this EAST Midtown neighborhood (EAST of Main St, not west as I say above which west side has already seen a good deal of development and property cost increase it seems ...and north of Elgin and south of McGowen or so), and also walkable to the new Midtown Arts Theater coming, and to the McGowen rail stop, and only mins driving from downtown, med ctr, museums ....from my viewpoint, it seems a lot of good things, would be great if it continues to develop, seems all very positive for future of that east midtown neighborhood ....

Edited by houparent
  • Like 1

There's a new bar/lounge that's opened up in the old barcadia spot across from the superblock. I never heard anything about it or saw remodeling crews, but they had their soft opening tonight. 60's themed with the place decked out in retro furniture and decorations.  It looks like a classy change to what Midtown is used to.

What's it called?

In true Midtown fashion, there is a guy sleeping on the sidewalk in the streetview you listed.  Do you have any other info on the remodel? Is there a TABC application on the door?

It's called GAGE. http://www.gagelounge.com/

What's it called?

best of luck to the folks at Gage, but that location sucks.  the greyhound and mcdonalds scare folks away.  perhaps when skyhouse and alliance are full, there will be a local crowd that can support a bar at that location.  

Proof is doing fine. Mongoose vs. Cobra and Leon's are doing fine. It's far enough away that the station isn't an issue.

Snapped this today and talked to one of the guys behind the project. The conceptual renderings he showed me look amazing, but this will be a really cool project even if it's half as nice as what's planned.

edit: Sorry for taking this picture with a potato... (2301 Main St. - Suede Lounge, LP)

Edited by phillip_white
  • Like 3

Snapped this today and talked to one of the guys behind the project. The conceptual renderings he showed me look amazing, but this will be a really cool project even if it's half as nice as what's planned.

edit: Sorry for taking this picture with a potato... (2301 Main St. - Suede Lounge, LP)

attachicon.gif2014-08-15 16.51.41.jpg

Looks like it use to be downtown at 1000 Prairie

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/gallery/Houston-bars-that-have-closed-84593/photo-6216570.php 

This section on Main is a hot spot so I've two updates in one post:

The bar/lounge next to Capitol Bar is getting framed out, definitely showing progress now.

The former school across from Alexan Midtown is almost completely gutted

BUUUUUUT... it looks like they've changed the applicant on the TABC notice.  I hope this doesn't cause any delays or change the concept from that awesome rendering I was shown.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

anyone have any idea what the word on the street is for Wooster's Garden at 3315 Milam??? Looks like they were originally planning on opening a couple of months ago but have been delayed. it looks like a really cool spot:

http://houston.eater.com/2014/7/17/6185497/woosters-garden-to-open-late-july-in-midtown

Ask, and you shall receive:

(from their facebook page)

• Like 1

Anyone know what's up with the lot at Caroline & McGowen?  It's been completely cleared of the overgrown brush and trees, and the gate is locked for the first time that I can remember..  Further investigation reveals that an LLC was formed last year under 2515 Caroline, Ltd.  I hope they get something going before the Caroline street renovation begins!

This might be a good place for a mixed use with a quick casual restaurant or coffee shop anchor, but I'm hoping for anything other than townhouses.

^Is this too much to ask for? :unsure:

1. I heard the food kiosk at the renovated park at Bagby and Grey has secured a tenant and there could be some signage in the next couple of months.

2. The medical building at W Gray and Valentine is also shaping up and looks like it could be ready for move in sometime over the next few months (possibly a Dental office).

3. The former Double Cross space under Post Midtown has a Minuti Coffee Coming Soon sign. http://minuticoffee.com/

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

1. I heard the food kiosk at the renovated park at Bagby and Grey has secured a tenant and there could be some signage in the next couple of months.

I heard that the kiosk food was going to be from Cyclones? Not a reliable source, just talk. Any one know what the plan is for that kiosk?

It looks like they finally started ground work for the townhouses that will replace the homeless shelter on Austin (between McIlhenny and Hadley) that was torn down last year.  I'm happy that the former drug den is being replaced, but it looks like my view of skyline will be gone in a few short months. Le sigh.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed two interesting things while walking around Midtown yesterday.

1. Jazz player at the corner of West Gray and Bagby

2. White guy on a bike with a rasta hat going from store front to store front trying to sell some key chains and other hand made items

I think Midtown might be getting more diverse... I hope to see more of this.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...