The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

I love the Chronicle, and I picked it over the Post back in the day. In fact, the Chronicle has my favorite format for a newspaper of ALL the world's papers I have seen.

That being said, two papers are better than one, and the competition between the Chronicle and Post made both papers so much better in terms of content and getting the story out. Since the Chronicle is the only paper in Houston, I'd like to see the paper CREATE a competition with other papers around the country as the best newspaper in America. That means I'd like to see them nationally and blatantly try to outsource the New York Post and Times, Washington Post, San Fran, and everyone else. They DEFINATLY have the man power to do it, and you can get a Times just about anywhere in America and parts of the world. The Chronicle, now that it's the only one in H-Town, can try a similar market, subscribing it to the whole state of Texas, parts of Louisiana, and parts of the World as THE paper to read in America.

If Chronicle were to do that, we really wouldn't be asking for another paper in Houston.

It's not awful.  It's not great.  It seems to rely too heavily on the wire services instead of in-house reporting.  And when you do see stuff from Chronicle reporters they tend to be from the same ones over and over.  They should hire more, or make some of the slackers a little more productive.

Also, one thing that separates the big newspapers from the second-tier like the Chronicle is that the other papers do big, important "think-pieces" and major investigations that have national impact.  The Chronicle spends too much time staring at its own bellybutton.  It seems to have no idea there is anything in the world beyond Southeast Texas and Mexico City.

In short, it feels like a small-town paper because it acts like a small town paper.

Why do they cover Mexico City news? Someone needs to tell them that this is America and not Mexico.

And even beyond the cultural connection to Mexico, Houston also has very strong business connections to Mexico. Think about all the Cemex trucks you see driving around, or the International Bank of Commerce branches.

we need another paper.

In the face of a shelling at the hands of the Rangers, the New York Post and Daily News had front-page headlines like "Kevin Clown" and "Bad, Bad Brown" against Yankees pitcher Kevin Brown. Can you imagine a local paper coming out against Duckworth like that, even though he deserves it?

I realize this is just a sports coverage analogy, but it's indicative of the larger latitude the press enjoys in New York due to competition. I think more would get done here if there were more critical voices in this city and city officials, entertainers, celebrities and sports figures lived under a more scrutinizing microscope. The Chron is a cheesy boosterism rag that never brings anyone to task and never does any good investigative reporting. Ironically, many find this silly boosterism to actually be harmful to the city, in terms of its credibility.

Cities like Chicago, Boston, Washington and New York (and even Dallas, Miami and Los Angeles to lesser extents) depend on their papers. They put big demands on their reporters and vocally support the paper when it's on and trash it when it's off. The result is a better city. We could really benefit from competition among papers and higher standards with the one we have.

I think the Chronicle has shown considerable improvement over the past couple of years. The Op/Ed page has benefitted immensely - contrasting points of views are more in evidence. However, they still refuse to run Molly Ivins' column, which is sheer cowardance on their part. And the society columnist needs to grow some fangs; her butt-kissing has grown tiresome, and will give her chapped lips.

Political coverage is still weak. The public would be better served by printing how elected officials vote on specific issues, rather than saying "the measure was defeated by three votes." , and not naming names. An informed electorate is democracy's best friend. More extensive and detailed crime reporting would be welcome, too.

As others have previously noted, Houston has suffered from having become a one-newspaper town. In the 80's I recall how the Post and the Chronicle would cover the same event, yet each would impart its own bias. Is this a social reformer or a rabblerouser? A respected businessman or a crook? Good government or good ol' boy government? Depends on which paper you read.

A question: is it just me, or does the Chronicle run about twice as many comic strips as other daily newspapers? How did the 'funny papers' get such a high priority?

Oh, and one last gripe - the Chronilog sucks. I can think of no more descriptive word. Warner Cable increased the number of channels, and the Chronicle responded by reducing the size of its TV guide. They could do much better.

With the exception of Ken Hoffman, the Chronicle has some excellent reporters and columnists. Here's hoping they contiunue to progress.

i sometimes get so frustrated at the various chron reporters that i email them - i also email those who put a story together well. i have nearly a hundred replies from these reporters, everything from "thanks for the feedback" to "mind your own business" - i'm thinking of making a book out of them.

yesterday i emailed a reporter covering the senseless shooting of a toddler whose father was a drug dealer - i asked why, if the family was hiding out at the grandparent's home in new caney from a mexican gang did the reporter quote the grandmother by name and disclose where they live. new caney is so small, i'm sure it would be no trouble at all for a gang to discover the whereabouts of this family and finish the job. it would be comical if not for the fact people's lives are at risk.

deb martin

FWIW, I think the sports page is very good. There are a number of columnists (John McClain, Richard Justice, ...) who are as good as it gets nationwide.

Other than that, I really only check out the headlines on chron.com every so often and I'm not dissatisfied. But I don't have a high bar really.

It's not awful.  It's not great.  It seems to rely too heavily on the wire services instead of in-house reporting.  And when you do see stuff from Chronicle reporters they tend to be from the same ones over and over.  They should hire more, or make some of the slackers a little more productive.

Also, one thing that separates the big newspapers from the second-tier like the Chronicle is that the other papers do big, important "think-pieces" and major investigations that have national impact.  The Chronicle spends too much time staring at its own bellybutton.  It seems to have no idea there is anything in the world beyond Southeast Texas and Mexico City.

In short, it feels like a small-town paper because it acts like a small town paper.

i totally agree with this: AP, AP, AP. when there are things going on in "world news" it may not be mentioned but there sure as all, will be a huge color photo of a little girl drinking out of a water fountain at a park somewhere. personally, my dad threw a route with the post, back in the day, so i am a bit nostalgic. also with the acquisition fall out on some of the post's employees (local writers, drivers, photogs, etc.) i am sure that would make some people naturally biased, even if that is a low percentage.

First of all, I don't think we need another newspaper here in Houston, as long as the one we have will do what it's supposed to do.

I do think the Chronicle has improved over the last couple of years with the new editor. I still refuse to subscribe to it, but I pick up print editions from time to time. It seems more interesting now than it was 5 years ago?

What do I want to see? Would like to see more coverage of the arts in Houston, state, country, world, i.e. more in-depth articles about films, filmmakers, local art exhibits, etc. Seems like we get now is just one-time reviews.

Also, the Sunday paper "Outlook" section is incredibly stupifyingly boring. This is the section with editorials / opinion pieces about current events. The subject matters covered usually seem unoriginal and the articles rather banal. Maybe that's just Houston, where the most controversial issues seem to be whether or not the Rockets suck and whether the City of Houston has the right to tow abandoned vehicles on freeways. Oh well...

The Sunday real estate section should have at least on column worth reading.

Agree with this, last week it appeared they didnt even have a commercial/residnetial real estate section! Is Sarnof gone, did they re-formate the business section again?

If they make anymore "glitzy" changes to the paper then I will forgo the Chron. all together and get my news from the HBJ.

• 2 weeks later...

just read in the paper that a man selling the houston chronicle was run over at a busy intersection. the chron was careful to call him a "vendor" and emphasize he did not work for the paper, but for a "distributor". they casually mentioned he had a history of homelessness and intervention with a local shelter, basically implying he was a street person. i have heard that these distributors routinely round up vagrants, toss them a blue chron t-shirt and drop them off at a busy corner with a stack of papers. many times i have seen these "vendors" on the 53 bus at westheimer and dairy ashford, where they exchange a paper for a day pass, kick back after a long day and sit at the back of the bus throwing back a few beers. one vendor told me the 53 bus is popular because they can ride down westheimer from west oaks mall into downtown, while getting out of the elements. many of besides the drunks, many of these people are disabled and move slowly, so it's no wonder they could easily get run over.

combine these paper sellers with the ones selling candy, flowers, those collecting for "charity" or holding signs for beer, and the ones trying to wash windshields and you've got a crowd, all trying to slow down or stop traffic. i thought mayor white was all about keeping the streets moving, but not only is nothing being done, there are more of these people than ever running in front of and behind cars. i'm always hoping the person in front of me will not stop, but often this is not the case and the entire light is wasted, backing traffic up even more - even in rush hour! i feel this should be banned, not only for traffic efficiency but to save people's lives, like this poor man who was just trying to make a few bucks selling papers.

and shame on the chronicle, they know who's on the corner selling papers, people who are desperate, working for beer money without even the benefit of being called a chronicle employee. reminds me of the way BP and the other refinery's hid the accidental deaths from the governmental reports, by having contractors hire them so they would be sub-contracting. awhile back a chron employee was tragically run over on a narrow street, coming home from a church event. they ran stories for days, about how the city neglects to provide sidewalks, etc. i wouldn't hold my breath for any future stories about a vagrant killed on the corner selling papers. do all of houston a favor, DO NOT stop your car for a paper, get one somewhere else.

debmartin

The Chronicle won't stop the trend, because it is the Chronicle that started it. The reason we have people roaming through traffic trying to sell stuff is because that's what the Chronicle wanted.

It used to be illegal until the Chronicle took the idea to court in order to allow their people to roam the streets selling papers. The Chronicle argued that not allowing it restricted the freedom of speech. Naturally, once their vendors were allowed to roam the streets, other people followed and what we have now is a situation that makes Houston look like a suburb of Mexico City.

Since the Chronicle spent all that money on lawyers trying to legalize street peddling, they're not about to dump that investment.

It should be noted that other cities also permit this, but many require the vendors to have a permit that they hang around the neck which is only good for a limited time and must be re-applied for. That helps cut down on companies like the Chronicle who "outsource" their operations to people who then outsource them to vagrants.

The Chronicle should be ashamed of itself for creating such an ugly blight on the city is supposedly loves. Think of the hundreds of tourists each day who roll up their windows and lock their doors in fear at the intersections. Thanks to the Chronicle, that's their last memory of Houston as they drive home.

I noticed that when I first came to Houston - peddlers at every major intersection, and I assumed that the Chroicle had something to do with it. It is really annoying and dangerous. Even kids are getting in on it. Thank you very much, Chronicle. I will never give money to anyone who stands in lanes of traffic. Which intersection did this happen at?

Permiting the street pedelers works in many cities. Many of the fake charities and churches are weeded out from working because of the permits. It also prevent children from working these things too which really aggravates me.

They're now all at I-10 and the Beltway it seems. I wish that the city would put the same signs they have at the Beltway and 288 making it a law that you cannot loiter or solicit under the freeways. It's dangerous for everyone.

But as for that guy, why in the world would he have run across the street between the truck and its trailer?! UGH!! That's just stupidity!!

well, I have got to give it to those people though, one time I was on Westhimer and my truck fell dead right by the Hotel Derrk, Those people helped push my truck to that CVS Pharmacy. They were rasing money for something, and I felt bad because I did not give them money even after they helped me. (they left before I had a chance)

Oh I've been "hassled" too......and it had absolutely nothing to do with looking or not looking at them. I was by myself one night at Westheimer and the feeder of 610, and a scurvy-esque looking gent came up to my car with a bucket of liquid and a squeegee, ready to clean my windshield, and I actually had to smack my windshield to get him to stop. It scared the crap out of me. :mellow: