Houston Post-Dispatch At 1100 Texas Ave.

brucesw

Just love that Sterling Bldg. What a great b/w pic, thnx again htown, says Ross Sterling, at the time, when he built this bldg. was "challenging Jesse H. Jones for entrepreneurial supremacy". Says Sterling and his "son-in-law, the architect Wyatt C. Hedrick, were responsible for the last of Houston's '20s style skyscrapers, the 21-story, Art Deco-style Sterling Bldg. (1931)." New name : 608 Texas Tower no longer has it's "storefronts & it's crowning pinnacles", as stated above. AIA Architectural Guide, S. Fox

Will truly hate to see this one fall. :o:(

Yes, thanks for the great pic.

Caddy-corner was the Houston Post-Dispatch building by Hedrick for Sterling, now the Magnolia Hotel. I believe I read here on Haif they were connected by a tunnel, the first such tunnel in Houston.

Yes, thanks for the great pic.

Caddy-corner was the Houston Post-Dispatch building by Hedrick for Sterling, now the Magnolia Hotel. I believe I read here on Haif they were connected by a tunnel, the first such tunnel in Houston.

Now that's something that there should be some kind of official/Mayoral commemoration for! The Magnolia is a beautiful and elegant place.

PS, they do have happy hours folks! :)

Archived