The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

In a city known for suburban sprawl, competing developers are testing a different concept: master-planned, high-density projects combining residential, retail, offices and hotels.

While these trendy developments, where people can walk from their homes to shops, restaurants and even their workplaces, have taken root in other parts of the country, they've been slow to show up here.

That's about to change. In the Houston area, at least nine of these projects are planned or under construction. Most of the sites are in the heart of town. Land is just now being cleared for some of them, while others in the suburbs are further along.

The trend is driven by affluent young professionals and empty nesters tired of long commutes. Rising land costs also factor in by requiring developers to build more on smaller spaces.

One project will feature Houston's only flagship Whole Foods Market, while another will span 37 acres and include a movie theater and upscale fitness center.

Another factor fueling this development shift is the explosion of wealth in the U.S., said Howard Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a national retail consulting and investment banking firm in New York.

Luxury retail, hotel and residential markets are "on fire," and those sectors are perfect fits for mixed use, he said.

But some observers wonder if all these projects, three of which are just a few miles from each other, will end up as they're envisioned or be turned into something less ambitious. They question whether there are enough high-end tenants to go around and if they can turn a profit on projects that can cost a half-billion dollars.

article

The article has a legend with 9 specific projects but aren't found online.

1)Oaks District (westheimer @ westcreek) 350k retail, 300 luxury apartments, 200k of office, 2 hotels; completion spring 2010

2) city centre (i-10 @ beltway 8) 400k retail, 140k fitness center, 500k offices, 665 residential units, 217 room hotel;early 2009

3)regent square (allen pkwy @ dunlavy), 1740 rental and condo units,hotel,60k office space, 330, retail, early 2010

4)high street (former centralford dealership on westheimer) 100k retail, 200-400 residential units, 2009

5) blvd place (post oak@san felipe), 175k office, 525k retail with whole foods, ~900 hi rise residential, 250 room hotel 2009

6) west avenue(kirby @ westheimer) phase 1 has 180k retail, 380 apartments, late 2008 or 2009

7)sonoma(rice village) 100k retail, 50k office, 230 condos, spring 2009

8) la centerra at cinco ranch (cinco ranch @ grand parkway) phase 1 has 170k retail 90k office phase 2 has 160k retail, 230 residential units march 2007 phase 1 and fall 2008 phase 2

9) pearland town center(288@518) 710 retail with 90 speciality retailers, offices, apartments and courtyard by marriott. fall 2008

According to this article, there seems to be some growing pains that the city is starting to acknowledge, most of which were touched upon in this article.

They are remarking on how the inner city is starting to affect how the city infrastructure both above and below the surface.

While I think this is a good piece on how Houston is changing, I am looking forward to a more comprehensive and positive report on the changes occurring not only in midtown and montrose, but the various other neighborhoods around town.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4598864.html

I agree with the "city officials" in the article. There needs to be an increase of density closer to transit corridors. Somehow the city has to promote higher denisty mixed-use developments in those areas and dicourage them from plopping down in the middle of older neighborhoods. The way things are looking right now with all the new mixed use projects that have been announced, this is already strarting to happen. We just need to push for this trend to continue. IMHO, I think streets like Montrose Blvd, Westheimer, Richmond, and Kirby should all be medium to high density corridors with every building being at least 3 stories.

According to this article, there seems to be some growing pains that the city is starting to acknowledge, most of which were touched upon in this article.

They are remarking on how the inner city is starting to affect how the city infrastructure both above and below the surface.

While I think this is a good piece on how Houston is changing, I am looking forward to a more comprehensive and positive report on the changes occurring not only in midtown and montrose, but the various other neighborhoods around town.

so what are the positive changes? the news has only been reporting on the negative ones as does this article.

Edited by musicman

I am kind of grateful that these isssues are starting to actually evolve and people are taking notice. I agree with largeTEXAS. It is amazing how neglected transit routes are neglected in this city as if development and PT cannot coexist.

so what are the positive changes? the news has only been reporting on the negative ones as does this article.

Positive aspects of stories fail to create a sense of conflict, which is necessary to ensure entertainment and ultimately ratings. The news isn't in the business of informing people, after all; it is in the business of selling ads.

I am kind of grateful that these isssues are starting to actually evolve and people are taking notice. I agree with largeTEXAS. It is amazing how neglected transit routes are neglected in this city as if development and PT cannot coexist.

Households with higher incomes have a disproportionate tendency to drive, as well as to live in new construction. With the exception of a small niche of ideologically-driven individuals, this negative relationship between income and transit use is inescapable.

Households with higher incomes have a disproportionate tendency to drive, as well as to live in new construction. With the exception of a small niche of ideologically-driven individuals, this negative relationship between income and transit use is inescapable.

concur!

With the exception of a small niche of ideologically-driven individuals, this negative relationship between income and transit use is inescapable.

Dude I get it. Seriously I do, but if MacGowen Station to Wheeler Station was developed in a manner where it complimented the Red Line, you would not have to be "ideologically driven" to just give up your car to walk to the Grocery store. I am sure you can come up with reasons why this does not currently happen in a city like Houston vs a city like Portland Oregon or San Diego other than the reason those people are just weird.

31272200_b0ca8eeb7b_o.jpg

Edited by WesternGulf

Dude I get it. Seriously I do, but if MacGowen Station to Wheeler Station was developed in a manner where it complimented the Red Line, you would not have to be "ideologically driven" to just give up your car to walk to the Grocery store. I am sure you can come up with reasons why this does not currently happen in a city like Houston vs a city like Portland Oregon or San Diego other than the reason those people are just weird.

Since few people actually live along the red line, there would still have to be parking otherwise the business would be prone to failure. for those with money, the convenience (and time savings) a car provides is too valuable.

In the picture, i like how no traffic lanes were lost. still looks like it is very car oriented to me.

The Wheeler station site has the potential to be one of the few truely-viable TOD sites in Houston. Even the 'grand central station' concept is a less viable site. I'm not saying that TOD can't happen, just that it won't happen in any meaningful or systematic way without major intervention on the part of local government...but that's extremely unlikely to happen in my estimation. In the mean time, one development (or even a small cluster of TOD) isn't going to change the commuting patterns of the Houston area.

Edited by TheNiche

The Wheeler station site has the potential to be one of the few truely-viable TOD sites in Houston. Even the 'grand central station' concept is a less viable site. I'm not saying that TOD can't happen, just that it won't happen in any meaningful or systematic way without major intervention on the part of local government...but that's extremely unlikely to happen in my estimation. In the mean time, one development (or even a small cluster of TOD) isn't going to change the commuting patterns of the Houston area.

True. when the local govt starts dictating to developers, then they will be less likely to develop.

In the picture, i like how no traffic lanes were lost. still looks like it is very car oriented to me.

It looks like a "bus" could function in the same way.

Having a segregated line prevents traffic from affect the LRT's

I'm not saying that TOD can't happen, just that it won't happen in any meaningful or systematic way without major intervention on the part of local government...but that's extremely unlikely to happen in my estimation.
I agree. This is why I said I am grateful to hear these problems that have to do with a lack of regulations and zoning are finally surfacing naturally.

We've already been there before. It's not a bus, and that is why people are attracted to it. Even the mayor of transit rich London understands the appeal of public transportation that strays away from the look of a bus. It still has the negative attributes such as catering to the poor, they're dirty and no one takes them except for the "ideologically driven weirdos".

Edited by WesternGulf

exactly! so has the train improved on transit or does it just look better than a bus?

Having a segregated line prevents traffic from affect the LRT's

concur. ours isn't segregated either.

True. when the local govt starts dictating to developers, then they will be less likely to develop.

I just want to make sure that I qualified what I meant by "major intervention." I'm talking about not only land use controls (which I would consider a rather moderate form of intervention in the context of most other cities), but also significant monetary incentives for particular sites...in essence, welfare for the rich. Without both, you would be correct that land use controls would only serve as barriers to entry, discouraging new development.

Some deed-restricted residential areas just inside the Loop, such as Afton Oaks near the Galleria and neighborhoods along Braeswood, have avoided an incursion of townhomes. But Afton Oaks has experienced increased cut-through traffic from adjoining neighborhoods where weaker deed restrictions have permitted townhome construction, said Richard Whiteley, president of the Afton Oaks Civic Club.

They just are a pain in everyone's rear!

• 1 month later...

I was doing some calculating, and it seems like if most of these developments go through, Oaks District, West Ave, Hardy, Sonoma, Regent Square, and high street (innerloop mixed use), and they are pretty successful with filling up, it can add about 12,000 new residents (give or take a few) alone to the innerloop by 2012 atleast.

Edited by WesternGulf

I was doing some calculating, and it seems like if most of these developments go through, Oaks District, West Ave, Hardy, Sonoma, Regent Square, and high street (innerloop mixed use), and they are pretty successful with filling up, it can add about 12,000 new residents (give or take a few) alone to the innerloop by 2012 atleast.

Did you take into account the people that would be displaced from existing improvements scheduled for demolition? Seems to me that it is much more of a demographic shift than densification.

Well of course, there are people moving in and out of the loop everyday. Of course these new developments are geared towards the Dual/Double/Disposable Income No Kids people, so in some areas the density change may not be as drastic.

Edited by WesternGulf

Did you take into account the people that would be displaced from existing improvements scheduled for demolition? Seems to me that it is much more of a demographic shift than densification.

Just how many people lived in the Shell Filling Station, River Oaks Tennis Center, Jalapenos, Walgreens in the Village, a surface parking lot, Central Ford, Nit Noi in the Village, and a strip mall?

Very few of the projects mentioned are replacing current residential spaces. And, the few that are doing so are building more units per acre than what they are replacing.

That sounds a lot like densification.

Of course, the best part of it is that many of these new developments are building in necessities (dry cleaners, convenience stores, salons, etc...) and amenities (restaurants, bars, soft retail, etc...) into their projects to help reduce vehicular congestion. That's a great thing.

• 2 months later...

I just noticed that the Chronicle is offering a reproduction service for single pages from past issues.

At first it sounded great - they seem to be good quality, or at least a big step up from microfilm photocopies...

The catch is that they seem to only be available matted and framed, and if the article runs off the first page, you have to pay extra for the remainder.

The cost of the print is about $90, but you can apparently choose the size, up to 18x24.

Anyone else used/seen have comments on this?

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/houstonchronicle/item.html

I just noticed that the Chronicle is offering a reproduction service for single pages from past issues.

At first it sounded great - they seem to be good quality, or at least a big step up from microfilm photocopies...

The catch is that they seem to only be available matted and framed, and if the article runs off the first page, you have to pay extra for the remainder.

The cost of the print is about $90, but you can apparently choose the size, up to 18x24.

Anyone else used/seen have comments on this?

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/houstonchronicle/item.html

Yes this service has been around for a long time. All publications offer reprints for articles. I use this service all the time for articles I place in trade publications or stories that were written about a client or when a client gets quoted, etc. In addition to advertising, this is how they make their money. It's really a professional service to companies, etc who need quantity to distubute.

P.S. $90 is cheap. I just spent $2,500 to get 1,000 reprints from a national healthcare publication.

sorry if silly question, but why can't you look up the articles on the internet and print them from there? legal reasons? thanks

the chronicle only has online access back to 1985.

also, these are on good quality paper, and hopefully look better than a standard microfilm photocopy (although they are copying from microfilm, too, so who knows). and with the frame and matte options (and the overall price), these are meant as more of an art piece.

usually a copy is okay for personal use because of copyright laws, but older stuff doesn't even apply...

Check out the article on lower Westheimer retail in today's Chronicle Business section.

Chronicle Business section article

The last line is one the more insightful observations I've read in recent times:

"And Lewis, the asset management executive, noted the value of having a group of such stores in one place. "People say walkable retail in Houston won't work in Houston because it's too hot, but it's more about environment," Lewis said. "Climate is just one part of environment. It's more about what you're walking past and what you're walking to.

"If you're walking past little cafes and boutique shops and resale shops, you're going to walk as far as it takes you, but if you're walking to a parking lot, you'll wind up walking right back to your car."

Edited by sidegate

Check out the article on lower Westheimer retail in today's Chronicle Business section.

Chronicle Business section article

The last line is one the more insightful observations I've read in recent times:

"And Lewis, the asset management executive, noted the value of having a group of such stores in one place. "People say walkable retail in Houston won't work in Houston because it's too hot, but it's more about environment," Lewis said. "Climate is just one part of environment. It's more about what you're walking past and what you're walking to.

"If you're walking past little cafes and boutique shops and resale shops, you're going to walk as far as it takes you, but if you're walking to a parking lot, you'll wind up walking right back to your car."

It's hot 4 months out of the year... most of the year it's very walkable.

Yeah, and even in those 4 months, if you have awnings over the street and trees for shade, walking can still be pretty comfortable. Maybe not in a 3 piece suit, but for the average casual shopper it's fine.

This part of Westheimer is one of the few areas in Houston where you regularly see lots of people walking on the sidewalk.

Edited by Jax