The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

Actually, many of the people moving to Midtown and Downtown are the children of the baby boomers. It's not just empty nesters moving there.

As for your comments on the light rail system, it has helped congestion. Maybe not on the freeways, but along the Main St. corridor and in the Medical Center, it has improved the situation. There are far fewer buses in that corridor, and many people living in the area have abandoned their cars for some trips.

I hadn't considered children of baby boomers buying those places, but if that's so then that is good. I'm guessing almost all of them would be childless. It just doesn't seem family oriented but it could be in Midtown with a few alterations like schools and parks but Downtown?......it just doesn't seem like a place for a kid to ride a tricycle.

If Metro is helping somewhat that's great, it just seems like a lot of money for a slightly faster, fancier bus. We need something that is so much better than driving that most of us want to do it, something that will save us hours each week. Some kind of high-speed monorail perhaps? If it took me 1 hour driving and 1/2 hour total travel time on public transport, I think I would use it .

It's a popular ride though. The couple of times I've taken it it's been packed.

I'm an almost daily rider, and have ridden the line at all times of day. It doesn't matter if it's rush hour, mid day, or evening, the trains are usually at least 75% full. With over 30,000 weekday passengers, that's 30,000 cars not on the streets in the Main St. corridor. Sure, some of those people would be on buses if not on the train. But that would mean a few hundred more daily bus trips in that corridor. Like it or not, the rail system is efficiently moving a lot of people around every day of the week, and providing a reasonable alternative to driving for those who live and work near it.

The rail in its currnet state is a glorified bus/Disney ride.

Print It

Again, I respectfully ask: How much time in your life has been devoted to actually riding public transportation?

Let's take a reckless guess and say "practically none". Somehow I think that's probably true. I think you hope you're clever. I suggest you're mistaken.

I'm going to get all humorless, and take you at your word. Disney ride? You're going to pay more than $1 for a Disney ride. Public transportation is as boring as plumbing, and just as disturbing when it doesn't work. It's been less than a year, and I've frequently ridden the light rail, and I think it's going to work. On a sheerly practical level, it's dependable, safe, cheap, effective. There's not a lot to hate.

Disney ride! That seems to be the attitude of the anti-rail forces. Because rail hasn't eliminated traffic, global warming, crime, racism, terrorism and child molestation, it's a failure. Rail hasn't conquered cancer, either. Alas.

Here's a cheap suggestion. Ride a crowded 82 Westheimer between Elgin and Kirby while standing up; then ride the Red Line from the Med Center to U of H campus. Be honest; which did you prefer?

Again, I respectfully ask: How much time in your life has been devoted to actually riding public transportation?

Let's take a reckless guess and say "practically none". Somehow I think that's probably true. I think you hope you're clever. I suggest you're mistaken.

I'm going to get all humorless, and take you at your word. Disney ride? You're going to pay more than $1 for a Disney ride. Public transportation is as boring as plumbing, and just as disturbing when it doesn't work. It's been less than a year, and I've frequently ridden the light rail, and I think it's going to work. On a sheerly practical level, it's dependable, safe, cheap, effective. There's not a lot to hate.

Disney ride! That seems to be the attitude of the anti-rail forces. Because rail hasn't eliminated traffic, global warming, crime, racism, terrorism and child molestation, it's a failure. Rail hasn't conquered cancer, either. Alas.

Here's a cheap suggestion. Ride a crowded 82 Westheimer between Elgin and Kirby while standing up; then ride the Red Line from the Med Center to U of H campus. Be honest; which did you prefer?

I rode the bus for about a month from the East End to San Felipe and the 610 every day while my car was broken and I got used to it, and it got me there about 1/2 hour slower than driving, and that's with standing Downtown between buses. I kind of enjoyed the experience. I saw things I wouldn't have from my car and saved some money too. I rode the Metro once, from Downtown to Hermann Park on a Sunday with my son. It was very crowded but, with looking at the aesthetics, the non-pollution, and the ease of boarding without having to stand in line to pay, it was a total improvement over the bus. And it has also seemed to have been responsible for some of Midtown's comeback, even if only due to more fluff than substance. I am less of an opponent now than when it was proposed, just because I am looking at it as an improvement and investment in out infrastructure and can imagine many of these trains zipping around town Jetson style, and getting many obnoxious buses off the streets. It's just that, and I went to a town-hall type presentation to promote the Metro before it passed, they were trying to make it seem like a 20 billion dollar major future improvement to our traffic problem and I don't see that happening. I just don't see people leaving their cars for something that will get them to work and back in about the same time as a bus today. In other words, in 20 years from now, when the full Metro plan has been implemented, our traffic will still be horrible. Something else is needed to solve that, and apparently no one has any viable ideas. I did some searching on the internet and studies have shown that congestion in cities with light rail have eased slightly, so that's good. So overall, it's a good thing, but after spending 20 billion, we're still going to be looking for the real answer to our traffic problem. It's like living in a house where the roof is about to cave in and deciding to spend money instead to remodel the bathroom.

I have been forced to take the bus system lately while I replace my car (anyone got one for sale?) and it's not that big of a deal. I get to work in about 20 minutes once I catch the bus (plus a 20 minute wait) and a brief walk to work. You're right Danax, you quickly adjust and get used to the routine.

As far as congestion in 20 years, you also have to realize that traffic congestion will increase to the point that a rail system will be the only thing that will move unimpeded (crashes notwithstanding, of course. :D ) while the streets are clogged. Sorta the way the rail operates in the med center during rushhour.

Ricco

It's not just that rail is supposed to ease current traffic problems around the city. Rail is meant to have long-term effects. With the trend of build-more-suburbs-farther-and-farther-out becomming ridiculous, the rail will hopefully lure some of the would-be suburbanites to inner city neighborhoods designed around rail. THIS will help relieve congestion.

Right now there is so much land that is underutilized in the city's core. If that land was developed with transit in mind instead of more suburban houses way out in the boonies, then that would ease a whole hell of a lot of the car traffic. The rail isn't just about solving our traffic problems now, it's about slowly changing the culture of travel in the city. Who knows, maybe some day the kids that are born now will, when they are older, be so used to light rail that they will have learned to prefer it over the car. They'll talk about how backwards their parents and grandparents are that insist on taking their cars everywhere.

There is a butt load of viable land inside the Beltway and the Loop that isn't being used at all much less used properly. Without a major effort or change in construction habits, Houston could easily establish well over 500,000 new residents inside the Beltway. Think of how many people could live in a more urban setting along the handful of new rail lines being built over the next few years. THAT more than anything else will help relieve some of the traffic that's swelling on our freeways.

I think the East End and Midtown have the best shots of becoming Houston's premiere urban neighborhoods with the north corridor (Neartown) next. However, there has to be a solid mix between upscale and affordable with solid access to all forms of transportation.

• 2 months later...

Tilman makes the business news section!

Tilman makes the front page news, above the fold!

Tilman again in the business news, this time in Spanish!

better story than the one about Tilman adding to his personal wealth machine!

much better story than one more about the Chronicle patting Tilman on the back!

One story that didn't even get much of a mention at all in the Chronicle, but deserved more!

Spring resident Lance Cpl. Fred Lee Maciel who was buried Thursday didn't get much attention from the Chronicle for some reason. But, as the funeral procession went along Aldine-Westfield to the cemetery for burial, the motorcade passed along a route that includes a fire station, and the firefighters were standing alongside the curb with their hands over their hearts. Businesses up and down the route must have been alerted somehow of the procession too, because businessmen and women and office workers came outside to also stand along the curb with their hands over their hearts. Road crew workers in Precinct 4 pulled their trucks off both sides of the roads and stood with their hands over their hearts. Children came out and waved at the cars in the motorcade. The only out-of-place jarringly noticeable oddity was that the flags at the Commissioner Eversole's district office (along the route and less than 2 blocks from the cemetery) were at full mast, not half-mast like all the other flags passed by that day. When a call was made to the Commissioner Eversole's office later to ask why the Commissioner Eversole was not only missing from the funeral ceremony, but why the flags were not at half-mast, their only response was, "Did he (Lance Corporal Fred Lee Maciel) work for us?" :huh:

When a call was made to the Commissioner Eversole's office later to ask why the Commissioner Eversole was not only missing from the funeral ceremony, but why the flags were not at half-mast, their only response was, "Did he (Lance Corporal Fred Lee Maciel) work for us?" :huh:

Some how that response just did not surprise me at all. it seems to be the general attitude of a lot of people around the US lately.

I am a US veteran as well and many times while I was out looking for work I got the same response that Military experience does not count toward civilian experience.

Or,

We do not recognize military experience as useful experience.

Or,

Ah I see that you were out of work for 4 years? What did you do? Attend college? No I was in the military. Oh well we like people with a steady work history thanks and have a nice day.

I could go on all day!

pineda,

what a coincidence, i spoke to a chron reporter who turned in a story about two idiots up in austin aruging over whether to name three closed off blocks around the capitol after w or reagan. did i forget to mention these two idiots are elected officials? anyway, i told this reporter that it was unprofessional to print such a story when we are at war and so many of our young americans are dying every day. unless of course he had the guts to print the real story, about lawmakers who argue about pointless bs and reporters who fail to honor soldiers.

i will not hold my breath waiting for that story.

debmartin

• 2 months later...

has anyone noticed how the chronicle is showing an increased interest in stories on architecture? the article on picking an architect for the MFA expansion and today's article "building a better world through architecture" are recent evidence of this trend. do you think it is a direct result of this website?

haif is getting more mainstream advertisers and the chronicle is paying attention to what we post. it would be interesting (mr editor) to know how well the site is doing and how many people are spending time here.

I sure hope that what you are saying is the case. It's sad that a newspaper in a city this size doesn't have a regular architecture critic or column, so maybe over time more people with an interest in local architecture will turn to sites like this one. On the other hand, haif has lost some of that focus I think.

Yeah, but look at the difference in Houston vs. say DFW or Miami. They have more than one daily, but those areas also have more than one significant node. Houston's structure is similar to Atlanta, and both have only one daily.

But then that theory goes to the toilet with a city like Birmingham, AL, which has two daily papers.

has anyone noticed how the chronicle is showing an increased interest in stories on architecture?  the article on picking an architect for the MFA expansion and today's article "building a better world through architecture" are recent evidence of this trend.  do you think it is a direct result of this website? 

haif is getting more mainstream advertisers and the chronicle is paying attention to what we post.  it would be interesting (mr editor) to know how well the site is doing and how many people are spending time here.

I just got new numbers last week, and it looks like a verifiable 45,000 unique people per month.

Think of it as 15% of the Houston Press' claimed print circulation.

The Chroncile claims 36.8 million page views per month.

HAI/F is about 440,000 page views per month.

I sure hope that what you are saying is the case.  It's sad that a newspaper in a city this size doesn't have a regular architecture critic or column, so maybe over time more people with an interest in local architecture will turn to sites like this one.  On the other hand, haif has lost some of that focus I think.

If anyone wants to be an architecture critic, there's still lots of opening for bloggers on the Houston Architecture Blog.

I just got new numbers last week, and it looks like a verifiable 45,000 unique people per month.

Think of it as 15% of the Houston Press' claimed print circulation.

The Chroncile claims 36.8 million page views per month.

HAI/F is about 440,000 page views per month.

While we're on the topic, here are the companies whose employees visit the site most while they're supposed to be working:

Amegy Bank of Texas

Houston Metro

Wills Bros Civil Engineering Contractors

Here are the colleges that visit most often:

Houston Community College

Texas Southern University

Texas Tech

If anyone's wondering, that's about as specific as the server logs get. There's no threat of any kind of privacy problem.

Yeah, but look at the difference in Houston vs. say DFW or Miami.  They have more than one daily, but those areas also have more than one significant node.  Houston's structure is similar to Atlanta, and both have only one daily.

But then that theory goes to the toilet with a city like Birmingham, AL, which has two daily papers.

Same with Chicago - it's structured much like Houston with a central core and then a number of outlying suburbs with their own papers. But Chicago had two major daily newspapers (Tribune and Sun-Times) plus three or four smaller DAILY newspapers (Defender, et. al.) plus a dozen or two weekly Houston Press-type rags.

I think it goes to the fact that Chicago is a "good media town." There are several good media towns around the country. Cincinnati (four daily newspapers by two owners), New York, Seattle, and LA, in my experience, are good media towns. Houston, Nashville, Miami are not.

What makes a good "media town?" Usually a long history of stable TV and radio news anchors, stable radio formats, and competition between newspapers that have learned to hate each other so much over the years that they'd never consider buying each other. This makes the local media part of people's everyday lives. Regular people end up paying close attention to the media and holding them accountable for their actions.

Not all towns remain good "media towns." Minneapolis and Philadelphia come to mind. It tends to start with radio churn, then TV churn, then the newspapers. People aren't able to follow all the players and the moves and they lose interest. It happens. I don't think I've ever seen a city go the other way.

no doubt they will see this thread since they have people combing this site looking illegal citations of their articles.

my opinion is that for being a major metropolitan newspaper, they could be better.

Please elaborate on how they can be better. i personally don't have an opinion about the paper, but know alot pf people who don't like it and wondered why. I have a friend who reads a USA TODAY instead.....so please feel free to explain.

It's not awful. It's not great. It seems to rely too heavily on the wire services instead of in-house reporting. And when you do see stuff from Chronicle reporters they tend to be from the same ones over and over. They should hire more, or make some of the slackers a little more productive.

Also, one thing that separates the big newspapers from the second-tier like the Chronicle is that the other papers do big, important "think-pieces" and major investigations that have national impact. The Chronicle spends too much time staring at its own bellybutton. It seems to have no idea there is anything in the world beyond Southeast Texas and Mexico City.

In short, it feels like a small-town paper because it acts like a small town paper.