The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

I'm a fan of the Chron blogs, and blogs in general. I would actually rather get unfiltered information knowing it may or may not be partisan, may or may not be biased, and may or may not be factually checked by editors. To me, it actually takes the ambiguity out of the equation (on both sides of the political fence) rather than adds to it.

It would seem that the conservatives would be onboard with aspect that as well.

Back to the blogs, I get the most out of blogs that do a heavy amount of linking. The sciguy blog's coverage of Hurricane Rita is a perfect example. He linked to a number of other blogs and stories that gave a good, unfiltered picture of what was going on weather-wise by people more interested in advancing weather knowledge than dog tricks.

^^^

Yeah,

blogs are out on all ends of the spectrum. If you read and compare a couple you can end up getting the real story instead of having to rely on some editor who my be biased (in either way). Editorless blogs check themsleves because it the post something that is factually untrue, another blog will challenge it.

It make the reader more informed and involved in the story instead of sitting back having is spoonfed.

I think this is why the mainstream media is suffering so much from blogs, independant news websites, and radio. I would much rather read a blog (even if I disagree with it) because it is unfiltered. I find reading coverage on blogs to be quite more informative.

I even catch news on HAIF. Someone will post an article, the valuable part is the discussion after. It gives people chances to challange the article and give other facts that may have been missed. I've seen it on here many of times.

It's theirs and many newpapers feeble attempt to be in the now and cool.

The big problem is that they censor their blogs which is something that not normally accepted. The blog is supposed to offer the raw news.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jan. 11, 2006, 7:21AM

SOMETHING DANGEROUS IN THE AIR

State finds toxics imperil Ship Channel neighbors

Monitors show air pollution at 11 hot spots in the Houston area can sicken residents

By DINA CAPPIELLO

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

When Victor Sarmiento reports to work aboard the Lynchburg Ferry each day, he worries about what he will breathe.

For 12 years, as he has steered the commuter ferry across the Houston Ship Channel, Sarmiento occasionally has been overtaken by fumes

Gosh.............I almost got foot in mouth disease a minute ago ! Glad I re-read those posts. I grew up less than a 1/2 mile from Exxon in Baytown, my father was CFO and CEO of Flexitallic Gasket ,in Deer Park, for 15 years or so. He died at 55 from heart disease, not related to any plant emissions and I myself have yet to have any symptoms, but I know I sure wouldn't want any. So, yeah, I suppose we should get in a huff over what is being released in the air for us to try and breathe.

Edited by TJones

Well, the good thing about the arm growing out of my back is that soon, I'll be able to scratch my own back.

My very limited understanding of the pollution situation over there is that a lot of those plants have hardly any emission restrictions due to grandfather clauses set up as good ol' boy deals.

Grandfather clauses that prevent people from enjoying being a grandparent due to an early death is wrong.

I wonder if you'd still feel this way if it was you sitting in the chemo room. I'm sure you'd take one for the team, wouldn't you?

What I like about the media is that it informs people about potential opportunities and threats that may affect their life, giving the masses a chance to make the decision to live/work or not live/work in a dangerous area, or in an area that is otherwise smelly. I, myself, am well off enough to afford alternate areas and would prefer not to inhale the scent of flared Armourall. Even though it may not constitute a major threat to my health, I just don't like the smell...so I'm unlikely to have cancer as a result of airborne toxins, but that's a result of the CHOICES that I make throughout life. On the other hand, I am likely to have to undergo a quadruple bypass one day...that doesn't mean that I'm going to sue Burger King for bringing it upon me or demand that Sheila Jackson Lee tax Burger King out of existence. I just happen to like Whoppers, and the reward of the burger outweighs the known risk of future heart attacks.

What I don't like about the media is when it goes 'yellow' and reports dangers that are way out of proportion with reality. I personally think that the Chronicle would be better serving the public by doing a more thorough analysis, comparing the risk of death in the Ship Channel area by exposure to toxins with the risk of death in River Oaks by exposure to stairs. A seperate article, of much greater importance, could review the latest phone-based study of households that report unpleasant aromas. They could even utilize GIS applications to create something similar to a daily weather map of smells. That would be far more important to most people, if they were objectively informed, even though it'd violate the 'if it bleeds, it leads' policy of news media.

• 11 months later...

In northwest Harris County, CityHomes will build 115 three-story Mediterranean-style units on a 10.2-acre site. It is part of the Vintage, a heavily wooded community being developed by a joint venture of Kickerillo Cos. and Mischer Investments on former Hewlett-Packard land near Texas 249 and Louetta Road.

The townhomes will feature elevations with stucco and stone and roofs with high-end materials and metal accents. Inside, granite counters and hardwood floors will be standard. Sizes are planned from 2,000 square feet to 2,900 square feet, with prices in the high $200,000s to low $400,000s.

Emphasis will be placed on landscaping and trails. Driveways will be made of fashionable paving stones. The townhomes will feature outdoor living spaces for cooking and relaxing. CityHomes plans to break ground in the gated community around May after site preparations

Click to read the whole article

• Like 1

In northwest Harris County, CityHomes will build 115 three-story Mediterranean-style units on a 10.2-acre site. It is part of the Vintage, a heavily wooded community being developed by a joint venture of Kickerillo Cos. and Mischer Investments on former Hewlett-Packard land near Texas 249 and Louetta Road.

The townhomes will feature elevations with stucco and stone and roofs with high-end materials and metal accents. Inside, granite counters and hardwood floors will be standard. Sizes are planned from 2,000 square feet to 2,900 square feet, with prices in the high $200,000s to low $400,000s.

Emphasis will be placed on landscaping and trails. Driveways will be made of fashionable paving stones. The townhomes will feature outdoor living spaces for cooking and relaxing. CityHomes plans to break ground in the gated community around May after site preparations

Click to read the whole article

They're also going in on Polk Street at Nagle in the East End. For that area, the townhome prices will be pretty high. And you'd better believe that I'm glad to see them come. $$ >:) $$

Edited by TheNiche

So, do these townhomes compete or compliment the townhomes that will be on Cypresswood as part of the Ravenneaux re-development? That's a lot of townhomes for the area.

I'm begining to question the succcess of The Vintage. I surely hope it does well as I live in the area, but that area is just turning into an unplanned mish-mash of stuff now. Those apartments look terrible and they are building cheaper ones along the railroad tracks. Will the Cypress population frequent The Vintage or is it too far away?

Also, I heard Willowbrook mall has a contract with Maggiano's Little Italy. Funny, I would have expected that type of establishment to move up to Vintage.

Oooh that's good news! I love Maggiano's!

With regards to the new Luxury Apartments at Vintage Park built by Sueba, I'm not all that impressed. Perhaps they have some a bit grander planned for the retail that's going up in front of it, but it doesn't look all that great from Louetta. The rates do start at around $1000 for a 1BR unit (800 sq ft) and go up to around $1500 for a 2 BR w/1220 sq ft, so I'm assuming they're pretty nice on the inside.

I'm not a big fan of Multi-family anything, but I do think the townhomes will be nice.

Edited by mrfootball

• 1 month later...

The following is a letter sent to a houston chronicle reporter regarding a story today dealing with the upcoming implementation of municipal wireless here in houston.

///////////

You hang around this planet long enough, and ya try to learn stuff, learn about nature and about man, and after a while, ya start to figger out some few things.

Like, for example, this municipal wireless thing, and how the mass media portrays it. Interesting how the advantages of muni wireless are portrayed for the readers.

Now, before we go into the gory details, let us consider the ways of nature and of our friends in the animal kingdom, shall we?

Animals evolve over time so as to better survive. THey themselves are beautiful machines, designed by evolution to best pass on their genes to the next generation. Witness the snowy fur and skin of the polar bear-- it serves many purposes. The outer hairs are hollow, the better to insulate from the cold. These hairs are also white, the better to hide in the ice from its prey, the seal. But the skin is black, the better to absorb what little radiation there is from the sun in the arctic. But the bear never knows about its own wonderful skin or fur. It just uses it, blithely unaware of how many millenia of evolution it took to evolve every wonderful detail of that skin and fur.

Same thing for the mass media reporting on things like muni wireless.

Now the mass media-- such as local papers like the Chron -- try to increase readership by running stories that are helpful to their readership; stories that matter to them, stories that help their readers and give them some advantage. RIght? A common thing, right?

So, how did the chron slant the muni wireless thing? It did not deal with the advantages to the MAJORITY of its readers, but instead dealt with the advantages to a distinct minority of readers--"the poor." Ah, yes, the poor. That demonized faction that has been a major target of propaganda from the rightwing for a least 25 years now. In fact, one good way to turn the white majority against any project or idea is to sell it as something meant for the poor. Because that takes advantage of all those years of propaganda that pushed the idea that the poor are eating up all the govt taxes, when all along it has really been the military.

So what is the ultimate effect of your article? To give the idea to your middle class readers that muni wireless is something for the poor. Not for them, but for the poor....

But there is yet another aspect of this that we have to discuss: the fact that the real benefits of this muni wireless would go the majority--the working middle class. They are the ones that are paying exorbitant fees for high speed internet and moble phone calls. THe muni wireless would cut those costs dramatically.

But you did not mention that. And the chron never really dwells on that aspect of it. In fact, your article is not the first chron article about muni wireless to paint muni wireless as something primarily for the poor. A large percentage of all such chron articles do the same thing--talk about the benefits for the poor, but never mention the benefits to the middle class workers.

Why is that?

Well, MAYBE it has something to do with the fact that cell companies, cable companies and phone companies are going to be losing a bunch of revenue when muni wireless becomes operational here.

Hey, ya know what?? Those cell companies, cable companies and phone companies are also MAJOR advertisers in the Chron! Gosh, do ya think THAT has something to do with why the chron slants these muni wireless articles the way they do?

But your articles never mention the hundreds of millions that working middle class Houstonians will save through muni wireless, do you? Nope, you just push that "poor" thing....curious and curiouser....

And did you yourself come up with this strategy? Did you, the reporter, devise this devious scheme? No, I think not. Like the polar bear, you simply follow the path set out for you by years of evolution. Mass media has been evolved by the forces of money over decades. Certain aspects of reality are not made the focus, and others are.

Ah, the wonderful ways of mother nature....

-randy smith

P.S.: Look for this letter on the internet, too, as I do not want it buried.