The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

In today's Outlook section (Sunday August 21, 2005), there is an article about Houston's problem with sprawl by Roger L. Galatas.  I'm not sure if the Outlook articles are on the Chronicle's website, so I have no link to post.  Maybe the writer's name could come up in a search online.

The article you mention can be accessed on the Chronicle's website today. It was an interesting read.

A developer recommending restrictions on developers and development. You don't see that everyday. He makes many valid points, though. Many of them have been debated on this forum, such as frontage roads, landscaping for freeways, sprawl caused by unconnected subdivisions, and the ever popular blighted strip centers.

I never knew George Mitchell and George Bush saved Buffalo Bayou. A quick look at White Oak Bayou will show the wisdom of that move.

• 3 weeks later...

OH I am full aware of the truth. I have been working with these people since thay started to arrive and I can tell stories. Some good some bad.

And to all the so called celebrities! Please go home. You are not making things any easier.

The story of the Good Samaritan (or the Good Houstonian...)

One day a lawyer came to Jesus and asked, "What should I do to get to heaven?"

Jesus answered, "What does the law say?"

"You should love the Lord with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself," the lawyer replied.

"That's right," Jesus said. "If you do all of that, you will be able to get to heaven."

But the lawyer, thinking he could ask Jesus a question that could not be answered, asked, "But who is my neighbor?"

Jesus answered him by telling this story:

One day, a man who was traveling from a far away city, suddenly met up with a group of thieves. The thieves took everything he had, and then they beat him up and left him lying half dead by the side of the road.

As he lay there in pain and misery, he heard footsteps. "Ah! Someone is coming!" he thought. "I hope he will help me! . . . I hope it isn't one of the same men who beat me up, coming back to find out if I am dead." He waited and listened for what seemed like hours, as the footsteps faded in the distance.

It happened to be a priest who came by, but when he saw the man lying beside the road, he decided to take a different road because he was in a hurry and didn't want to be bothered.

The poor man was certainly glad that it wasn't one of the robbers, but he surely wished SOMEBODY would come along to help him.

After a little while, he heard footsteps again.... He wanted to call out and get the attention of the person walking by, but he was in so much pain, all he could do was moan. "Maybe this person will see me and help me," he thought anxiously.

This time the man who passed by was a Levite, a well-known teacher in the temple. SURELY HE would want to help the poor man. But when he saw the man lying on the side of the road, he looked down . . . then turned his head . . . then walked right by, completely ignoring the poor, hurting man.

It wasn't long until the man heard ANOTHER set of footsteps. He wanted to believe that this person would reach down to help him, but he had already been passed by twice and dared not even hope for relief. By this time, he had given up all hope and was sure he was going to die right there on the side of the road.

The man who was traveling down the road this time was a stranger from Samaria. Nobody even liked people from Samaria. It was very unlikely that he would want to help. But as he passed by, he noticed the man who was lying beaten and bloody on the side of the road. He felt sorry for him and wanted to help. He got off his donkey and bent down next to the man to get a closer look at the wounds. Gently, he wrapped bandages around the sores and helped him to his feet. THEN . . . he carefully put the man on his very own donkey, and took him to the nearest hotel. He stayed with the man overnight and took care of him.

The next morning he had to leave, but he knew he couldn't take the man with him. When he paid the bill, he gave the innkeeper extra money, saying, "Take care of him, feed him, and make sure he has everything he needs. If he owes you any money after he gets well and leaves, write it down, and I will pay the bill the next time I come by."

Jesus, after finishing the story, asked the lawyer, "Which of these three men was a neighbor to the stranger on the street?"

The lawyer sheepishly answered, "The one who stopped and helped him."

And Jesus said, "That's right. Now YOU go and do the same."

REMEMBER:

Loving God includes showing love to all people.

A VERSE TO LEARN

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (Galatians 5:14).

Dear God, help me to be kind today even if

people are not kind to me. Help me to do what

You want me to do. Thank You for loving me.

In Jesus' name, Amen.

>>The story of the Good Samaritan (or the Good Houstonian...)

>>One day, a man who was traveling from a far away city, suddenly met up with a group of thieves. The thieves took everything he had, and then they beat him up and left him lying half dead by the side of the road.

Hmm, good point. So before I become that of the man beaten by thieves I will follow this verse:

Samel 23:1 They told David,

Here I was acting as basically a waitress to those in the dome. I watched as those who ate end up throwing the trash on the floor! Here are a bunch of able bodied people that refuse to take care of themselves! I am under the impression that they would do even less if someone there volunteered to do more.

So tell them to PICK...IT...UP!

duh!

Grow a backbone, girl.

Once again Houston’s only news source is censoring the views of their readers in order to spin Houstonians as 100% behind waiting on the refugees hand and foot.

Folks I volunteered yesterday and was astonished by what I witnessed. Here I was acting as basically a waitress to those in the dome. I watched as those who ate end up throwing the trash on the floor! Here are a bunch of able bodied people that refuse to take care of themselves! I am under the impression that they would do even less if someone there volunteered to do more.

A second reply, as my first was rather flippant.

I said that maybe you should have grown a backbone and told the litterers to 'pick it up'. I stand by that statement, but there's more.

The more important aspect is that it appears that you volunteered with the expectation that these evacuees, these Displaced Persons, were somehow undeserving; how dare they treat Miss Scarlett Saigon O'Hara as if she were a mere waitress! I can imagine the sneer with which you 'served' these people. If I'd been there, I'd have done more than throw trash on the floor; I would have spit in your face. You've made your attitude very clear in all of your posts. Do everyone a favor. Stop volunteering.

Here's a challenge for you. Go sit on your roof for three or four days without food or water or sleep. Let a perfect stranger take you Lord knows where (and forgive my invocation of the Almighty - you might doubt my Christian credentials.) Then let some sneering little ... oh, what's the word you use? Barbara Bush says it rhymes with 'rich' - serve you beans and rice on a styrofoam plate. With contempt.

You'd throw your plate on the floor, too.

It's not censorship, it's editing.  Censorship is when the government restricts speech.  The Chronicle is not the government.  It is a private company and not required to provide a platform for other people to make statements on their dime. Your right to free speech isn't being infringed by what they did.

If you don't like how they handle their blog, start your own with your money.  Or you can use one of the free blog services.  It's a big internet.  Go use it.

They did the same thing with the Janet Jackson incident, saying that all Houstonians were appalled by what they saw (I thought it wasn't a big deal.)

I understand where Editor's coming from, but I think the Chronicle telling the FULL story wouldn't hurt sometimes. In this case (Katrina), it may be inappropriate, and I think the Chronicle is trying to do their part by helping the evacuees feel welcome in a new city, for which I'm proud.

Speaking of Janet Jackson, does anyone else feel that her breasts got a faster government response than Hurricane Katrina?

>>Here's a challenge for you. Go sit on your roof for three or four days without food or water or sleep.

In the conditions I have experienced it would be nice to have had a roof to sleep on. The poorest person in this country is far richer than most third world politico's.

Three days without food is nothing. Try searching for food in bombed out fields that used to provide food for your family. I think I will rest on past examples.

Reflecting back on what was posted there is much to frame with perspective.

It is possible that:

When I voluteered the "go getters" were away pounding the pavement for jobs and/or apartments.

The ones that did litter or appear complacent would be this way no matter what the circumstance.

I should point out that the are people who show outward signs of illness and their situation is not in question. Thee are also those searching for family and they are not in question.

I pose this to you; What would you make of the individual who thinks that they have hit the jackpot? They have their $2000 debit card, designer clothing, checks from the government, etc. If this is what they are receiving now, just think what an individual with this type mindset would get if they complained.

I do know that the children will find a brighter future and greater opportunity in Houston. I know I did.

I do know that the children will find a brighter future and greater opportunity in Houston. I know I did.

You sure have a strange way of showing your appreciation. These victims are citizens of the same country that gave you the future and opportunity you speak of. This country became great because of its compassion and generosity. It will fail when it loses its compassion and generosity.

The true act of kindness does not expect a reward. To volunteer to help victims who have lost everything, only to critique their table manners and apparent lack of appreciation, suggests you expected a reward for your efforts. That reward comes from within, or in the afterlife, if you are a believer, not from the recipient of the kindness.

Saigon, I'm truly sorry you had to "waitress" for the needy, but, unfortunately, not every gets to hold the walkie-talkie when volunteering. I know for a fact that I have the management skills to run the entire relief operation at the GRB, but I go and sort clothes and take orders from someone with a walkie-talkie, because that's what's needed.

i really don't want to get in the middle of this one. however, it must be said that there are people who find themselves in unfortunate circumstances/in need and behave in a manner respectful of public property with consideration of others and there are those who do not. i believe saigon is the former and cannot understand why others are not the same. it is true that we must show compassion regardless of the behavior or lack of appreciation of those we show compassion to. the greeks called it agape love. we know it as unconditional love. lighten up on saigon.

let me be more specific. i meant to "lighten up" on the issue saigon had with trash throwing evacuees. some of the other posts i've read from saigon are indeed inflammatory. <_<

Edited by bachanon

• 3 weeks later...

Houston Chron is a joke. The news that they print only serves to separate the Foley ads form the Palais Royal ads. The news items themselves come from other newspapers. I don't even bother to waste my money on it. They keep dumping free ones in my yard and they go straight to the trash. It is a disgrace that the 4th largest city in this county has such a crappy paper.

Houston Chron is a joke. The news that they print only serves to separate the Foley ads form the Palais Royal ads. The news items themselves come from other newspapers. I don't even bother to waste my money on it. They keep dumping free ones in my yard and they go straight to the trash. It is a disgrace that the 4th largest city in this county has such a crappy paper.
Sadly I agree. Blogs would be fine if they were serving a purpose, but the larger problem is that the Chronicle is just weak journalism. The only reason they've gotten any attention lately is because of the sheer number of scandals, potential scandals and natural disasters that have been somehow related to Houston over the last few years. I'm no fan of Dallas and I don't bother to read their paper, but the DMN is the only paper in Texas that deserves and receives any national prominence. This is, as you said, a disgrace.

todays Business section illustrates how crappy the Chron is. The main story is about Tilman Fertitta's restaurants and hurricane Rita. Who cares about him. With all of the local businesses devestated by the two storms they do a lead story on a crook who suffered very little. They even got the caption to one of the pic wrong, where they say his restaurant in Biloxi MS was destroyed by Rita - wrong it was Katrina. Thye can't even get the story correct when they are in the middle of it.

I guess I was too quick to judge the Chron. Who can argue with quality journalism like this?:

Turkey legs take center stage at the Houston Heights Festival -

Claudia Trevino, 21, had two words to describe the turkey legs at Sunday's Houston Heights Festival. "They're awesome," Trevino said about 3 p.m., just moments after biting into the $5 delicacy at the 29th annual event.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3379241

I guess I was too quick to judge the Chron. Who can argue with quality journalism like this?:

Turkey legs take center stage at the Houston Heights Festival -

Claudia Trevino, 21, had two words to describe the turkey legs at Sunday's Houston Heights Festival. "They're awesome," Trevino said about 3 p.m., just moments after biting into the $5 delicacy at the 29th annual event.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3379241

They looked yummy but that is hardly stop the presses kind of stuff. Besides the Italian Ice was a much bigger story, beyond awesome. I have to admit the Chronicle does seem to be lazy w/o any competition.