The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

It's because the city spent money on building a grid system back then inside the loop with actual walkable blocks.

Once you get past the Galleria area, these blocks are 4 times as big, which lend to big box stores and their ugly big surface lots.

It's because the city spent money on building a grid system back then inside the loop with actual walkable blocks.

Once you get past the Galleria area, these blocks are 4 times as big, which lend to big box stores and their ugly big surface lots.

Actually, it was developers that designed and built most of the old street grid system. ...just giving credit where credit is due.

later at night it's a different story I'm sure but during the day, and especially on the weekend, it's a hive of retail activity. Evidently this has caught the attention of higher end retailers who are beginning to expand their footprint along those blocks. I'm anxious to see who will occupy the two vacant blocks on the north side on either side of Woodhead (one's already under development).

Casually dressed in yellow cheerleader shorts, a faded gray school T-shirt and flip-flops, Kailey Hultman flicks through the racks of summer dresses at Buffalo Exchange resale shop, looking for something new from the past.

That's not casual, that's Polock!

later at night it's a different story I'm sure but during the day, and especially on the weekend, it's a hive of retail activity. Evidently this has caught the attention of higher end retailers who are beginning to expand their footprint along those blocks. I'm anxious to see who will occupy the two vacant blocks on the north side on either side of Woodhead (one's already under development).

The one that's under development seems to have stalled at the skeletal stage. Anybody know what's going on there?

Yeah, and even in those 4 months, if you have awnings over the street and trees for shade, walking can still be pretty comfortable.

Right... I just hate how people make it seem like Houston's weather sux all year 'round. I am home in Pennsylvania visiting family and I had one neighbor the other day ask me... "How can you live there when it's so hot all year 'round!?" Uuugh. I explained to them that it's beautiful most of the year and only hot for a few months in the summer... and even then it's only "bad" while the sun is up... in my opinion. B)

This part of Westheimer is one of the few areas in Houston where you regularly see lots of people walking on the sidewalk.

and funny that on the other end of westheimer it's the polar opposite. Unwalkable stripcenters full of useless shops that for the life of me I don't know how they stay afloat, carwashes, pawn shops, gas stations, and horrible chinese buffets.

I know what you mean. I drove my sister out that way past the galleria to some kind of sporting goods store that carried mountain climbing equipment that she was really excited to see, and I was almost embarrassed to show her that part of Houston (She lives in NYC). It's just huge strip centers with really big tacky signs posted along the road and big box stores.

One thing I think that lower Westheimer needs is more cohesiveness. I love the funky clothing stores and cafes, but then there are a few random (small) strip centers in the middle of them which in my opinion degrade the streetscape with their parking lots. I hope none of the new developments go that route.

I think this development has the right idea. From what I have heard, this guy had a hell of time getting his variance and people have been telling him that he is doomed to failure -- that Houstonians don't want to park in back of a place. But Montrose isn't like the rest of Houston. If redevelopment of some of these lots follows this pattern, we could have a great walkable part of town.

building026.jpg

building025.jpg

building024.jpg

building023.jpg

building022.jpg

building021.jpg

building020.jpg

"And Lewis, the asset management executive, noted the value of having a group of such stores in one place. "People say walkable retail in Houston won't work in Houston because it's too hot, but it's more about environment," Lewis said. "Climate is just one part of environment. It's more about what you're walking past and what you're walking to.

"If you're walking past little cafes and boutique shops and resale shops, you're going to walk as far as it takes you, but if you're walking to a parking lot, you'll wind up walking right back to your car."

About time someone else mentions this. There are still some people who think if there is simply a sidewalk, walking should not be a problem and the demand for walkable establishments in places like Midtown will come when people protest and walk among strip centers. :rolleyes: Frankly I know those people just do not care about the subject, because I am sure their walking habits would not reflect that.

if that's a gallery out front i like that 'cept the view of the wires would be distracting. i would have made the sidewalk out front a little wider too.

parking in back is fine IF there's easy access from the back of the stores as well. it'll be interesting to see how the neighbors behind the property like it. i'm sure the entrance on Elmen will be a zoo and particularly challenging for those who live on elmen.

EDIT: now that i see empire cafe is right there, i feel sorry for those who live on elmen. the parking situation for empire will only be worse. i'm sure the new place will be towing those from empire who try and park there.

Edited by musicman

That's the place I was talking about, the place that has been stuck in it's "skeletal" stage for weeks (months even maybe?). Any idea what's up with that? What is it going to be and why has it stalled?

I like that tower thing, I wonder what that's going to be...

That's the place I was talking about, the place that has been stuck in it's "skeletal" stage for weeks (months even maybe?). Any idea what's up with that? What is it going to be and why has it stalled?

I like that tower thing, I wonder what that's going to be...

weather most likely. many homebuilders are having the same issue.

if that's a gallery out front i like that 'cept the view of the wires would be distracting. i would have made the sidewalk out front a little wider too.

parking in back is fine IF there's easy access from the back of the stores as well. it'll be interesting to see how the neighbors behind the property like it. i'm sure the entrance on Elmen will be a zoo and particularly challenging for those who live on elmen.

EDIT: now that i see empire cafe is right there, i feel sorry for those who live on elmen. the parking situation for empire will only be worse. i'm sure the new place will be towing those from empire who try and park there.

I lived on Elmen Street from 1993 until 1997 although about 4 blocks up from Westheimer. I never thought the parking was bad due to the Empire Cafe. However, it was getting bad by the time I moved due to the influx of 3 to 4 condos where one bungalow used to stand. I imagine it's much worse now.

That said, that neighborhood is pretty decent with the # of people walking/biking to Lower Westheimer and West Gray. I loved my Elmen St address at the time because I could walk/bike to River Oaks Theater, old movie theater where Marshalls is now, Empire Cafe, Brasil, Alabama Ice House, Kinneally's, Daquiri Factory (Slider's now?), Paulie's, etc...

I lived on Elmen Street from 1993 until 1997 although about 4 blocks up from Westheimer. I never thought the parking was bad due to the Empire Cafe. However, it was getting bad by the time I moved due to the influx of 3 to 4 condos where one bungalow used to stand. I imagine it's much worse now.

That said, that neighborhood is pretty decent with the # of people walking/biking to Lower Westheimer and West Gray. I loved my Elmen St address at the time because I could walk/bike to River Oaks Theater, old movie theater where Marshalls is now, Empire Cafe, Brasil, Alabama Ice House, Kinneally's, Daquiri Factory (Slider's now?), Paulie's, etc...

and Empire has added parking this year by taking the lot adjacent to their existing parking lot on elmen

• 3 weeks later...

They still haven't done anything since the last time I posted here about it (July 24). It still looks exactly like the photos that capnmcbarnacle posted.

I read in the other thread that the top floor might be residential. It would be totally cool to have that tower thing as part of your apartment! :)

They still haven't done anything since the last time I posted here about it (July 24). It still looks exactly like the photos that capnmcbarnacle posted.

I read in the other thread that the top floor might be residential. It would be totally cool to have that tower thing as part of your apartment! :)

I was over there today and visited with the owner. He said they were finishing up the steelwork today (there were several welders there) and that he anticipated having the exterior done in 3 months. The guy was excited that he was able to get the variance for building to the street and said he wanted the building to fit in with a walkable neighborhood. He told me that the style of the building would be Italian and said that the appearance and landscaping would look great (I'm not big on what developers have termed Mediterranean, but we'll see how it goes). The way I see it, the area is a mix of styles so as long as they do it well I think it will be fine. At least we are not getting a generic strip mall. Count your blessings.

The first floor will be retail, as there is not enough parking to accomodate a restaurant (keep counting your blessings and pray that retail doesn't mean nail salon, cingular wireless, mattress firm and Cindie's). I got the sense that he intends to have one retail tenant in that space. The second floor will be offices. And yes, the third floor will be a residence with a "rooftop deck." If that tower and spiral staircase are the deck, that might be quite a cool place to live.

So, there you have it. We'll see how the style and tenants shake out, but I for one am extremely excited to see mixed use retail/office/residential being put up. Hopefully this will set a trend for the parcels down Westheimer, such as the antiques emporium and the Martha Turner building. It's a little early for kudos, but I'm thankful this guy is willing to go against the Houston orthodoxy and put this development here.

Sounds awesome! I'm glad the project is not dead (as it appeared). I've passed this place for months and wondered about it. Thanks so much for posting this info. I think there are some great opportunities for retail on the street. There are so many places with no parking but you can just park on the street in the neighborhood nearby (usually without much trouble) and walk. I would walk to a restaurant or cafe too (I do that when I go to Brazil) but that's just me. Anyways, it sounds great, and I bet there are some nice views from that rooftop deck!

Pity there'll be no cafe on the first floor. Do you really need that much parking for a cafe? Where is Brasil's? And there's a couple of others on Westheimer that don't appear to have any. oh well, count our blessings as you say. I guess Empire's right across the road. With any luck it'll be some sort of hip retail a la Buff Exchg or American Apparel to encourage pedestrian traffic from lower down on Westheimer. And yes, hopefully this will be mirrored in the old architectural emporium lot and the martha turner building (boy is that windowless brick wall ugly right there)

I think Jax mentioned how neat the funky little shops and boutiques line lower Westhemier.

Wish you could have seen it in the late 70's and early 80's.

At the very beginning where Elgin becomes Westheimer, there were numerous old 2-3 story Victorian homes one after another all the way to about near the Tower Theater. Last I saw there is only one remaining and it looks so lonely there. I have a feeling its about to go.

Number's # club is where most of the small antiques stores, vintage clothes, head shops, etc. began and went all the way down one after another of course with various clubs too. By early 80's the area was a jam packed Hollywood-Blvd-like on weekends. The crowd's were younger and become more rowdy so HPD and public outcry ended the wild parties and the crowd shifted to Richmond strip ie; Dave & Buster's area.

The Annual Arts Festival was the rage of lower Westheimer. This was the best era for the festival and then the nabes became irritated with the rowdy crowds again. Started charging cover and became somewhat yuppish/preppies crowd. Its kind of making a comeback but will never be as fun and carefree as it used to be. People actually used to walk around smoking the peace pipe at the old festivals like no big deal. Now-a-days you would be on "Cops" live and get clubbed.

Just a quick synopsis of old lower Westheimer heyday. It was party city! :D

The Annual Arts Festival was the rage of lower Westheimer. This was the best era for the festival and then the nabes became irritated with the rowdy crowds again. Started charging cover and became somewhat yuppish/preppies crowd. Its kind of making a comeback but will never be as fun and carefree as it used to be. People actually used to walk around smoking the peace pipe at the old festivals like no big deal. Now-a-days you would be on "Cops" live and get clubbed.

Just a quick synopsis of old lower Westheimer heyday. It was party city! biggrin.gif

yes, it was a big deal back then. i remember walking around the festivities with a bottle of champagne in each hand sharing with people. i would get arrested for that these days. we spent a lot of money on businesses whose bathrooms were for "customers only". el fenix, daiquiri factory........

unfortunately, it is possible that lower westheimer will suffer from a new kind of homogenization of the "american apparel" and "buffalo exchange" kind. as someone said earlier, count your blessings. interest in the area is exciting.

Yeah it would be cool to have that kind of vitality again without the sketchy stuff that could get it shut down.

the newer residents seem to think most things are "sketchy" now. it will never be like it was in the 80/90's.

Edited by musicman