The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

Cool, I just saw this. Hopefully it will bring you some good business, rps!

It seems the east side was due for another article, what with the recent sales prices. I've got clippings of a very similar article, I think 2002, with the previous owners of my house. And the "Morrills" quoted in today's article were quoted then, too. They must know someone! For a while now the east end has been promised as the next Heights and it looks like the tide really has turned.

Bill England's next project is across the street from me. He's turning it around on the lot and a total remodel. The dumpster is filling up already. I look forward to watching the progress......

Edited by crunchtastic

Cool, I just saw this. Hopefully it will bring you some good business, rps!

It seems the east side was due for another article, what with the recent sales prices. I've got clippings of a very similar article, I think 2002, with the previous owners of my house. And the "Morrills" quoted in today's article were quoted then, too. They must know someone! For a while now the east end has been promised as the next Heights and it looks like the tide really has turned.

Bill England's next project is across the street from me. He's turning it around on the lot and a total remodel. The dumpster is filling up already. I look forward to watching the progress......

I have seen this house and it's a crazy one. Or he is crazy for redoing it, I haven't figured out which one yet ;), but given his track record it will be outstanding when complete. Bill mentioned that they intentionally set it backwards on the lot. Odd!

I have seen this house and it's a crazy one. Or he is crazy for redoing it, I haven't figured out which one yet ;) , but given his track record it will be outstanding when complete. Bill mentioned that they intentionally set it backwards on the lot. Odd!

Yea, we call it the Bait Camp. There's plenty of 'odd' in this neighborhood, I'm finding! Just the way I like it.

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well !

Todays article in the newspaper talks about the growing East End. Will this area be the new

Montrose or Heights ? Did the article today help speed up the development and housing

contruction for this neighborhood ?

How did the Heights or Montrose become a desired , expensive , or trendy neighborhood ?

If so will the same process occur in the East End . .why or why not ?

Good Afternoon All,

hope your day goes well !

Todays article in the newspaper talks about the growing East End. Will this area be the new

Montrose or Heights ? Did the article today help speed up the development and housing

contruction for this neighborhood ?

How did the Heights or Montrose become a desired , expensive , or trendy neighborhood ?

If so will the same process occur in the East End . .why or why not ?

Montrose is the cultural heart of Houston, sandwiched between Downtown, Greenway, the TMC, and River Oaks. It was destined for unaffordability.

The Heights and the East End started off being pretty similar, and while the Heights is better positioned geographically to the region's office employment than in the East End, it also had a larger concentration of nice homes, including many Victorians, whereas the East End is more of a mixed bag in terms of housing stock. The East End had also been hampered for a long time by crooked politicians and cops; that's much of a problem anymore.

Regentrification is a slow process, and I know that there are Realtors out there that'll claim that "This neighborhood is about to pop!" as though it's something that happens over night. It's not. The Heights is evidence of that. And newspaper hype didn't change that. Personally, I'm a believer in the East End because it has appreciation potentials based upon fundamental demographic, cultural, and geographic trends.

Montrose is the cultural heart of Houston, sandwiched between Downtown, Greenway, the TMC, and River Oaks. It was destined for unaffordability.

The Heights and the East End started off being pretty similar, and while the Heights is better positioned geographically to the region's office employment than in the East End, it also had a larger concentration of nice homes, including many Victorians, whereas the East End is more of a mixed bag in terms of housing stock. The East End had also been hampered for a long time by crooked politicians and cops; that's much of a problem anymore.

Regentrification is a slow process, and I know that there are Realtors out there that'll claim that "This neighborhood is about to pop!" as though it's something that happens over night. It's not. The Heights is evidence of that. And newspaper hype didn't change that. Personally, I'm a believer in the East End because it has appreciation potentials based upon fundamental demographic, cultural, and geographic trends.

What's your opinion on Starbucks ETA for the east end? Near east--Harrisburg, say, before Wayside.

A few of us in Eastwood are taking bets. I'm medium range at 2-3 years. You can get in the pool if you like. :D

It does take a long time. I used to live in Woodland Heights with an ex; house on Bayland he bought in '88 for what seems like nothing in today's world. In the late 80s, early 90s the Heights was the place to buy in. The same booster-ish tune as in the Chron article today. RedScare will appreciate this, a couple of the budding young partners at Baker Botts at the time moved their families into Woodland Heights to much office scandal--is that a good neighborhood???

Of course now, well. It did eventually turn. I see many similarities, and some differences. It had more consistent housing stock, and more of it, but to my eye, the Heights of the late 80s was about where the Eastwood is now, minus the retail hub like old 19th street. It was more white, but not with 'amenities.' It did feel more connected to other neighborhoods, like Montrose, which is a factor, I think. On the other hand east end has the universities.

We'll see. See what the rail does. Need more retail along Harrisburg.

What's your opinion on Starbucks ETA for the east end? Near east--Harrisburg, say, before Wayside.

A few of us in Eastwood are taking bets. I'm medium range at 2-3 years. You can get in the pool if you like. :D

With Starbucks rethinking their expansion plans, I will be a bit more pessimistic and say 5 years. What will happen, IMO, is that another retail name will stake claim as an sign of up-and-coming neighborhoods. I have no idea what it will be, but it probably won't be Starbucks.

With Starbucks rethinking their expansion plans, I will be a bit more pessimistic and say 5 years. What will happen, IMO, is that another retail name will stake claim as an sign of up-and-coming neighborhoods. I have no idea what it will be, but it probably won't be Starbucks.

Oooh, that's true, huh? What was the story, their stocks are way down? Something about the public not paying as much for $4 coffee and oversaturation of stores?

Oooh, that's true, huh? What was the story, their stocks are way down? Something about the public not paying as much for $4 coffee and oversaturation of stores?

not a coffee drinker here but i read they are trying out a $1 cup of coffee with unlimited refills to try and fight their competition. since they've built several new ones along 45, but none in the east end, doesn't look likely that they are going for that niche, but you never know. maybe if they offered pan dulce, <_< but there are numerous bakeries that fit that bill already.

They just built a Starbucks at Winkler/Monroe & 45. It's not like that area is more affluent or has a higher housing density than around Eastwood or Idylwood. At least I don't think it does.

I bet if ORR or whoever it is builds that new center there at Wayside & 45, one goes in there. That would be at the southern tip of the previously stated "boundaries." I'm sort of surprised that they haven't put one some where right around Lockwood - Cullen service road area to feed off of people coming and going from the university.

At one time there was a rumor that old art-deco building on McKinney, the one that houses a bakery, was going to remodel and expand into a coffee house of some sort. I don't know how valid that tale is though.

About four years ago I was in an introductory marketing class at UH, and the lecture was about product life cycles. The professor liked to poll his 150+ students on various things, so he asked what stage particular firms/products were at, and Starbucks was one of them. At the time, Starbucks had been idolized by the hip marketing types for several years, and the dogma of Starbucks=Growth had apparently become firmly entrenched in people's minds. I was the only person that voted that Starbucks had entered maturity. My argument: increasing competition, oversaturation. I used the same argument to justify my opinion of Wal-Mart, and that was better received; apparently Wal-Mart isn't as popular with young hip business students.

Nevertheless, I do see scattered opportunities for Starbucks to add stores (and cut the fat) as neighborhoods change, and my thought is that Dowling/Harrisburg, Harrisburg/Lockwood, or a pad site at Polk/Cullen might fit the bill. We'll see. I left out freeway frontage from my 3-year estimate, because I want to more effectively gauge support from the neighborhood than from UH or freeway traffic.

45 traffic can support starbucks. not sure if lockwood could due to lack of steady traffic. i think wayside could if they offer something different than what is already there(dunkin donuts and numerous bakeries).

when i went to UH, very few students went past the northbound feeder of 45 cept for the occasional trip to ninfas (which they usually had to follow me). i know lupe from behemio's has been using many avenues to get more people to his place. art shows, group meetings, etc. but i'm not sure the neighborhood is supporting him as much as they could. i tend to see more younger people there rather than residents.