The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

The Chronicle has become a practical punching bag for the right (via Dan Patrick) and (though maybe not now) the left (the Houston Press). I have also noticed on their website that some of their stories have misspelled words and run-on sentences.

They also endorsed George W. Bush - a liberal in conservative clothing to be truthful. Even Texas Monthly gave them a "Bum Steer Award".

No wonder they can't seem to get most of the big prizes other big papers get.

The Chronicle has become a practical punching bag for the right (via Dan Patrick) and (though maybe not now) the left (the Houston Press). I have also noticed on their website that some of their stories have misspelled words and run-on sentences.

They also endorsed George W. Bush - a liberal in conservative clothing to be truthful. Even Texas Monthly gave them a "Bum Steer Award".

No wonder they can't seem to get most of the big prizes other big papers get.

Who is a liberal in conservative clothing--George W. Bush, or the Chronicle? You can't mean W.

If you mean the Chronicle, I would agree that there is something a little schizo about their politics, but I wouldn't describe it as liberal in conservative clothing. More like liberal but too woosey to follow through on it some of the time.

• 3 weeks later...
Who is a liberal in conservative clothing--George W. Bush, or the Chronicle? You can't mean W.

If you mean the Chronicle, I would agree that there is something a little schizo about their politics, but I wouldn't describe it as liberal in conservative clothing. More like liberal but too woosey to follow through on it some of the time.

They're as liberal as can be; the only reason they endorsed Bush is so that they could point to that and say, "See? We're not liberal. We endorsed Bush!" I have actually read where their editors answered the charge of them being liberal by pointing out that they have endorsed the Republican in every presidential election since Nixon.

Because honestly, what's to lose by endorsing Bush? It's not like he wasn't going to win Texas anyway. Having this to point to helps them advance their other agendas more effectively.

They're as liberal as can be; the only reason they endorsed Bush is so that they could point to that and say, "See? We're not liberal. We endorsed Bush!" I have actually read where their editors answered the charge of them being liberal by pointing out that they have endorsed the Republican in every presidential election since Nixon.

Because honestly, what's to lose by endorsing Bush? It's not like he wasn't going to win Texas anyway. Having this to point to helps them advance their other agendas more effectively.

Obviously, the Chron appears to be a Rockefeller Republican rag if that's how they endorse their candidates...pro-public transit, fiscally conservative (maybe not), liberal on social issues.

Here are some photos I took. I can't say I'm too pleased with this building. It looks really out of place to me. I'm glad that we are getting development that comes out to the sidewalk and adds to the pedestrian nature of the area, but this looks like it should be out on Woodway somewhere. I don't know, I just feel kind of ambivilent. Surely there is a happy median between a strip mall and this. Thoughts?

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

Here are some photos I took. I can't say I'm too pleased with this building. It looks really out of place to me. I'm glad that we are getting development that comes out to the sidewalk and adds to the pedestrian nature of the area, but this looks like it should be out on Woodway somewhere. I don't know, I just feel kind of ambivilent. Surely there is a happy median between a strip mall and this. Thoughts?

when i saw that the sidewalk was still the same, it made me wonder how much they really thought about making it pedestrian friendly. the dumpster odor should be nice for those sitting outside.

when i saw that the sidewalk was still the same, it made me wonder how much they really thought about making it pedestrian friendly. the dumpster odor should be nice for those sitting outside.

FWIW, it looks like they are redoing the sidewalks in front...dumpster odor could still be an issue, though

• 3 weeks later...
I've been reading Rick Campbell's blogs. Loved the blogs on Fever Tree. I was a big fan.

Me too... still got the LP's. I saw Fever Tree at the Living Eye on Silber Road way back.......Also the Moving Sidewalks, Billy Gibbons' band before ZZTop.

Great memories!!!

• 2 weeks later...
People over there say some of the most rude, vile, hateful, and racist things I've ever heard. I think we behave much better.

I noticed that yesterday in an article about FM1960. The three main reasons for the decline where Katrina "people," Metro, and apartment complexes. These reasons are pretty um, "Canadian" if you get my drift. I found them blaming Metro for the decay of any previously well kept neighborhood hilarious because Metro can barely seem to tie its on shoes at times, let alone orchestrate the decline of a sleepy suburb. Average A. White that posts on that board seems to believe that Metro runs a line out somewhere and decay develops around it instead of Metro running a line into an already decaying area to take advantage of it. To do otherwise would mean Metro is on the cutting edge of providing regional transportation, which it is not.

And I have also learned that you can blame Katrina People for anything whatsoever. Property values decline; Katrina people. Crime rates go up; Katrina people. Schools go broke; Katrina people. Gas prices high; Katrina people. Foreclosures, credit crunch, and near recession, yes, Katrina people. They might as wll just say the N-word though and be done with it. We know what you really mean.

Edited by MetroMogul

I noticed that yesterday in an article about FM1960. The three main reasons for the decline where Katrina "people," Metro, and apartment complexes. These reasons are pretty um, "Canadian" if you get my drift. I found them blaming Metro for the decay of any previously well kept neighborhood hilarious because Metro can barely seem to tie its on shoes at times, let alone orchestrate the decline of a sleepy suburb. Average A. White that posts on that board seems to believe that Metro runs a line out somewhere and decay develops around it instead of Metro running a line into an already decaying area to take advantage of it. To do otherwise would mean Metro is on the cutting edge of providing regional transportation, which it is not.

And I have also learned that you can blame Katrina People for anything whatsoever. Property values decline; Katrina people. Crime rates go up; Katrina people. Schools go broke; Katrina people. Gas prices high; Katrina people. Foreclosures, credit crunch, and near recession, yes, Katrina people. They might as wll just say the N-word though and be done with it. We know what you really mean.

Yeah, and honestly I think that being anonymous emboldens a lot of people.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like it.

I'm a conservative and I find the paper WAY too left-leaning for my tastes. Way too many syndicated articles -- and I used to like the Zest and concert reviews but the Zest has turned into a kind of People magazine and I have yet to actually read a review for a concert I have attended (recently). Section A is pretty much a waste as it's 90% ads.

I guess the sports writing is still decent, but I am not willing to subscribe to the paper or buy one for that.

At any rate, I find internet news sources more in-tune with reality and more in-depth than the Chronicle could ever hope to be at this point. If I am going to get my news from biased sources then I'd rather it be more in line with my values and belief system.

The Chronicle is a joke. My wife reads it, but I have no use for it.

I don't like it.

I'm a conservative and I find the paper WAY too left-leaning for my tastes. Way too many syndicated articles -- and I used to like the Zest and concert reviews but the Zest has turned into a kind of People magazine and I have yet to actually read a review for a concert I have attended (recently). Section A is pretty much a waste as it's 90% ads.

I guess the sports writing is still decent, but I am not willing to subscribe to the paper or buy one for that.

At any rate, I find internet news sources more in-tune with reality and more in-depth than the Chronicle could ever hope to be at this point. If I am going to get my news from biased sources then I'd rather it be more in line with my values and belief system.

The Chronicle is a joke. My wife reads it, but I have no use for it.

I made the point earlier that newspapers should be biased. That's the whole point of a free press. The two best newspapers in the US are biased (in different directions) and make no bones about it. The Economist is biased, and quite proudly so, and it is the best news weekly bar none. I'm not worried about the editorial pages if the rest of the content is done well. I wish someone could explain what was so terrible about being biased - editors are entitled to have opinions.

Where the Chronicle fails is that it makes such an effort to not be biased that it ends up as nothing at all so as not to offend. Hence the dumbing down you mention. Maybe if they stopped being so paranoid about being biased the quality could improve.

I made the point earlier that newspapers should be biased. That's the whole point of a free press. The two best newspapers in the US are biased (in different directions) and make no bones about it. The Economist is biased, and quite proudly so, and it is the best news weekly bar none. I'm not worried about the editorial pages if the rest of the content is done well. I wish someone could explain what was so terrible about being biased - editors are entitled to have opinions.

Where the Chronicle fails is that it makes such an effort to not be biased that it ends up as nothing at all so as not to offend. Hence the dumbing down you mention. Maybe if they stopped being so paranoid about being biased the quality could improve.

That's all well and good, but the paper isn't presenting itself as political commentary overall -- it's supposed to be a "NEWSpaper" (emphasis on the word "news"). Editorial and commentary is not news -- although they have a page dedicated to that and not just one POV there. News should be presented as fact without a bias. It should be factual. The way the Chronicle words it's articles many times, it's clearly NOT objective and in-depth reporting. What they present are often cookie-cutter syndicated articles or, again...articles based on some facts but skewed to fit their political agenda.

But, ya know...I wouldn't care about their bias if there was an alternative paper out there with an OPPOSING bias. There isn't. At least not one that is printed locally.

People complain about Fox News and an apt comparison would be if you didn't like Fox News but that's the only news network you could get -- I doubt anyone would be protecting the right to be biased under those conditions. But with regard to network news, you have the option of CNN, ABC, NBC, and CBS.

However, in Houston, there is no mainstream alternative paper that espouses an oposing ideological bias.

Ah well...as I said, I get my news online now.

Edited by Disastro

FWIW, it looks like they are redoing the sidewalks in front...dumpster odor could still be an issue, though

looks like they redid them however the dumpster is there for the convenience store next door. the sidewalks on the side are basically not usable cause cars are parked there. at least last night they were.

Am I the only one that doesn't mind the look of it? Id much rather have that establishment than have some others that Houston is known for.

Not at all. I have my criticisms of the both buildings, but I am absolutely psyched that these buildings are setting a standard for the street by building to the sidewalk instead of fronting the street with a parking lot. These are way better than the strip malls east of Montrose. While I don't think either are astounding on their own, I'm happy to have them.

And as for the hair salon, form has to follow function at some point. And people have budgets. I'm not sure how else you dress up a a salon that needs 2000 square feet. Given the alternative of a strip mall -- which I know was proposed by the architects and soundly rejected by the owner -- I'm happy with what they did there. I don't think it's suburban architecture that you find in Pearland if only for the fact that its owners have lived in the neighborhood forever and worked to get a variance to build close to Westheimer to help spur a more pedestrian friendly place.

If the hotel gets built across from Poison Girl, there will be no question that the prevailing buildings go to the sidewalk and it ought to make getting variances easier. I think we owe these builders a debt of gratitude for putting up with all the BS, and spending the money it took to buck the trend and try to build with the neighborhood in mind.

Hotel across from Poison Girl???

What is that about and where?

There is a thread somewhere but I couldn't find it...

In the 1600 block on the north side there is a lot that had been slated for condos a few years ago. The owner is working with the people who did Hotel San Jose in Austin to build a 75 room boutique hotel in that spot. The renderings looked pretty cool.

Nancy Sarnoff mentions it in last week's Chron here.

Edited by capnmcbarnacle