The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

The Chronicle site automatically logs me in, same as HAIF. Surely my readership is being logged somewhere through this method.

You can disable that. I read that site, and it never logs me on.

They can still see that someone is requesting pages, and they can also see that same someone never clicks through their ads.

I prefer to have the traditional 'hard copy' issues of the Chron for the following:

Crossword puzzles

Sudoku

Jumble

Television listings

Comics

Coupons

These features are a lot more couch-friendly than online viewing, and pretty much were the deciding factors in my latest (reluctant) decision to renew home delivery.

But the Chron seems determined to change my mind. The TV schedules have become a bad joke. They're incomplete, no longer list programs airing between 12am-6am (when many of the best movies appear on TCM) and are often totally inaccurate. The dailies don't even list guests on Letterman, Leno or O'Brien.

Much of the content of the Chron has been turned over to pap. "t.m.i." and "Shopgirl" and gossip-y items crowd out more substantial fare.

Also, home delivery has been sketchy. Once or twice a week I have to call to report an undelivered/lost/stolen newspaper, a minor annoyance when their automated system is functioning. Frequently, it is not. Spending twenty minutes on hold so that I can report that a 75 cent newspaper hasn't been delivered makes my time worth $2.25/hr.

Hardly seems worth it.

We've actually gotten 4 or 5 papers delivered to us since we've moved in, and we don't order it. Not the promos to try to get you to sign up either, just a random paper. Our front yards are fenced and they toss it all the way to the door, so it's not like I can leave it there so the proper neighbor can come get it.

I am contemplating a subscription though. Jumble and coupons...

But the Chron seems determined to change my mind. The TV schedules have become a bad joke. They're incomplete, no longer list programs airing between 12am-6am (when many of the best movies appear on TCM) and are often totally inaccurate. The dailies don't even list guests on Letterman, Leno or O'Brien.

I'm surprised the Chronicle still has TV listings. Many of the big papers are dropping them entirely because so many people use on-screen guides. I know the Chicago Sun-Times and the Boston Globe have. I doubt they were the first, or the last.

I keep a weekend subscription to the Chron only because I prefer the paper version of the real estate listings. Something about a Martha Turner spread with 3 million dollar homes in tiny, blurry photos. And the poor slobs whose homes are only going for 1 million, they only rate black and white. And all the glamour shots of the agents. Can't get that online.

I'm surprised the Chronicle still has TV listings. Many of the big papers are dropping them entirely because so many people use on-screen guides. I know the Chicago Sun-Times and the Boston Globe have. I doubt they were the first, or the last.

Ah, but we poor slobs who have Basic Cable don't have an on-screen guide anymore. That was the first thing Comcast did when it took over Time-Warner: the TV Guide channel was pulled.

The weekly listing that comes with the Sunday paper (formerly called the Chronolog) has been retitled to reflect its new sponsor: Comcast TV.

In other words, if you don't upgrade your service, you damn well better put up with not knowing what's going to be airing. And online listings are no answer; they're slow and cumbersome.

These features are a lot more couch-friendly than online viewing, and pretty much were the deciding factors in my latest (reluctant) decision to renew home delivery.

I said the same thing until I got a small laptop. I still like to buy the Saturday paper on occasions for the car dealership ads, and the Sunday paper for real estate.

I said the same thing until I got a small laptop. I still like to buy the Saturday paper on occasions for the car dealership ads, and the Sunday paper for real estate.

I have two laptops. Unlike the newspaper, I prefer not to use either of them while I'm eating breakfast. Much as I hate to channel Clifford Stoll in an online equivalent of "you damn kids get off my lawn", I sit in front of a keyboard for enough hours every day as it is. If I'm going to read something at length, I'll take dead tree over LCD almost every time.

Edited by mkultra25

Those of you with iPhones and iPod Touches who don't like the paper's TV grid and don't like your on-screen guide either (hate mine -- it only shows four channels at a time!), there's a free app called i.tv that works really well for TV listings. If you see something you like it can e-mail you a reminder, too. And some shows you can even watch a preview for.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
3387528509_0ec43e271e.jpg
Houston Chroncile Layoffs, originally uploaded by fcarters.
fcarters took this great picture of a truck passing the Houston Chroncile building. You can look at it as a beautiful photograph, or a metaphor for large issues in our society. Your choice.

Fcarters posted this picture in the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr.
You can add you photos to the group.  Just click here:  HAIF Houston Photo Pool on Flickr .

3387528509_0ec43e271e.jpg
Houston Chroncile Layoffs, originally uploaded by fcarters.
fcarters took this great picture of a truck passing the Houston Chroncile building. You can look at it as a beautiful photograph, or a metaphor for large issues in our society. Your choice.

Fcarters posted this picture in the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr.
You can add you photos to the group.  Just click here:  HAIF Houston Photo Pool on Flickr .

• 1 year later...

Anybody notice the ad on the back of the Chronicle's 29-95 section last Thursday? I was surprised to see the F*ck Buttons listed (without the asterisk). Seems odd that broadcast stations can get whopping fines for dropping the f-bomb, but it's ok for newspapers to print it or allow it in an ad? And on the back of a section that's often kept for reference, to boot!

Anybody notice the ad on the back of the Chronicle's 29-95 section last Thursday? I was surprised to see the F*ck Buttons listed (without the asterisk). Seems odd that broadcast stations can get whopping fines for dropping the f-bomb, but it's ok for newspapers to print it or allow it in an ad? And on the back of a section that's often kept for reference, to boot!

The FCC's iron boot does not have trampling power over the printed media.

But, I'm surprised, too. Houston Press, sure, but the Chron ...?

Broadcast stations are subject to government regulation that newspapers aren't because there is a finite amount of radio spectrum for all broadcasts to use, so the precious commodity is rationed by the government. Newspapers can do whatever they want because, in theory, you can have an infinite number of newspapers, so they are not subject to regulation.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone noticed that the Houston Chronicle has gotten physically much narrower (along with other papers like the College Station paper and the Waco paper)? The College Station shrinking was quite aggravating, since it made columns less readable and distorted the comics even more (I can now cover most of a panel of "Peanuts" with my thumb).

What do you think? How long have they been doing this?