GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

The only Lawry's I've been to is the original one in Beverly Hills and it's different from Morton's and the other steakhouses. It's all about the Prime Ribs that they serve. If you like Prime Rib, it rules. None of these other places can sniff it. After The Stables and Allen Park Inn closed down, I don't even know where to go to get a good prime rib anymore. Sigh.

It's been a while, but actually Houston's at Westpark & Kirby used to have a real decent prime rib.

I believe that the video screens on main would make sense, because it would create a perfect center of energy downtown. On the east end you have the sporting venues and the new park. Main street will eventually create the pedestrian connection that it was intended to be. On the West end you would have Bayou Place and the Theatre District

At the end of construction you will have large crowds of people going thur the Houston Pavillions and up and down Main.

Brillant move for the 4th largest city in the nation.

I would like to keep Main more traditional. It has a trolley down the middle of it, brick road, classic architecture, and history. We don't need to make it into Houston's version of Times Square. If we need to have TVs (which is still lame), put them down the Pavilions walkway or something. Let Main be Main.

^^Trolley?

Are any of the pro giant TV screen people also anti billboard people?

You can do a hell of a lot more with a giant TV than a billboard.

Edited by Trae

Sure, but they're both big advertising. Is it OK if big advertising flashes and moves, but not if it just sits there?

Those big TVs can do more than just advertise products and stuff I hope you know. Think about those TV's in Victory Park in Dallas. They show nighttime movies, game highlights (from the American Airlines Center), and when big games are intown (for example the Red River Shootout), they broadcast the game on the screens.

Those big TVs can do more than just advertise products and stuff I hope you know. Think about those TV's in Victory Park in Dallas. They show nighttime movies, game highlights (from the American Airlines Center), and when big games are intown (for example the Red River Shootout), they broadcast the game on the screens.

I've never seen the TVs in Victory Park. They don't show ads? I thought the ones discussed here would be used for advertising.

I've never seen the TVs in Victory Park. They don't show ads? I thought the ones discussed here would be used for advertising.

Of course they show ads, but they do more than just show ads. A billboard only shows ads (generally speaking).

I don't think TVs have to be tacky. I travel to Cincinnati often, and in one of the main squares downtown there is a huge tv on top of probably a 7 story building. At all times of the year I see people sitting out there watching, hanging out. It's nice. That square is also where they do the place they do the outdoor ice rink, they are constantly doing something new or seasonal there.

Of course they show ads, but they do more than just show ads. A billboard only shows ads (generally speaking).

So the objection to billboards isn't that they are giant ads, but that they don't do anything else?

I hope they do the TVs but downtown's ordinance is too strict when it comes to lighting. I personally think that's what's missing from downtown now. It looks too bland. I'm not saying the Video Screens would solve all the problems but when I go into a big city, I want to see lights, i want to see people, I want to see action. It wouldn't kill Houston to implement a little flash because it's not flashy enough. Many of you may not care, but Houston will continue to be skipped as a leisure travel destination if it doesn't develop more "eye catching" things. It's a harsh reality. Flash Sells!!!!

And for the people that live downtown like Daniepwils, why not have the Video Screens run and turn them off by like Midnight. I think Dallas turns theirs off at 10 or 11pm, i'm not sure though.

Edited by tierwestah

I hope they do the TVs but downtown's ordinance is too strict when it comes to lighting.

What's stupid is how they're strict about it, yet they make exceptions like when they broadcasted the Astros games on the side of that building 30 feet high.

Defeats their whole "it would distract drivers" argument. :rolleyes:

What's stupid is how they're strict about it, yet they make exceptions like when they broadcasted the Astros games on the side of that building 30 feet high.

Defeats their whole "it would distract drivers" argument. :rolleyes:

Ummm.....the streets were closed. There were no drivers.

every street in downtown was closed? you could see that game from the freeway

That would be an impressive feat, considering that building cannot be seen from the freeway.

You are also mischaracterizing the reason for the denial of a video ribbon for Cabo. It was denied because Cabo is in the historic district, not because of any driver distraction arguments. While there are numerous critics of video boards, several have been approved for downtown locations, including the Wortham Theatre and Toyota Center.

It's listed in the HBJ full article on the Lawry's pull out, also speculated as part of the reason by someone from Orr Commercial. Something on the order of having two steakhouses in that one development might not have been justified for reasons of too much competion.

Also in the article, Bill Denton of HP says that another restaurant has signed the lease for the Lawry's spot, but that it will be announced closer to the opening.

So Lawry's is out, but someone has already leased up their space and another steak house is on board... in the end there is no real bad news. ^_^

That would be an impressive feat, considering that building cannot be seen from the freeway.

You are also mischaracterizing the reason for the denial of a video ribbon for Cabo. It was denied because Cabo is in the historic district, not because of any driver distraction arguments. While there are numerous critics of video boards, several have been approved for downtown locations, including the Wortham Theatre and Toyota Center.

Please, not every street was closed, i saw that game while i was driving regardless of what you want to believe.

Besides, those screens that got approved are non-moving, they only show still shots and thats not what were talking about here, is it RedScare -_-

"Theater District lights up the night"

Electronic signs that sparked fight have been set up

By RON NISSIMOV

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

City officials recently put up three electronic billboards in the downtown Theater District, four years after City Council approved the installations.

Two of the signs are outside Wortham Center, and the third is above the front doors of Jones Hall. The signs will not have video or moving text, and will display new images every eight seconds, said Dawn Ullrich, spokeswoman for the city's Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department.

I'm bored with this, move on

My two cents on the screens...I think they would be best on the blank walls along Dallas. Each of the buildings seem to have large blank walls. Main Street will still have buzz from the view of the synergy of lights and sounds within and people walking about the breezeway within the HP.

My two cents on the screens...I think they would be best on the blank walls along Dallas. Each of the buildings seem to have large blank walls. Main Street will still have buzz from the view of the synergy of lights and sounds within and people walking about the breezeway within the HP.

I agree... there's just more room for screens on Dallas... they will be close enough to Main to still look nice.

I agree... there's just more room for screens on Dallas... they will be close enough to Main to still look nice.

Heck I agree. Some of the old renderings (if you look closely) show these screens on the skywalks on both San Jancinto and Fannin, as cars are approaching the underpass. The rendering is what got me excited, now this is starting to look like a watered-down project. They should also put the darn screens on Mains Street as well. This will help entice more retail, such as the Sakowtizs project. We can't be conservative, it hasn't worked. If we want to inject new life into our downtown, we need to go modern. Besides downtowns are suppose to be energized, bustling, and thriving. Let all the old foggies compaining about the noise and light to buy a cheap pair of earplugs, and a sleeping mask for crying out loud!.

Edited by CasaNova

I would suggest people are the main element that make up a great neighborhood. We don't need giant tvs and stuff. Just people. They are more dynamic than any created instrument ever could be.

But I guess giant tvs couldn't hurt :) We need the people first though, which the tvs could or could not help bring.

So having a "wanna-be Times Square" will energize downtown? Sorry but glitz and glamour will last as about as long as most of the "clubs" did in downtown. You need something more than flashy TV screens.

I think the Pavilions is a start in the right direction if they keep it up. The Park shops failed (still funny that Crescent keeps raising the rent). It went from stores like The Gap and Oshmans to insurance companies and The Dress Barn. If it weren't for the performing art centers in downtown, Bayou Place would have failed. HP has a good start, but in my opinion they need more "popular" retail.

Why is everyone so "gung ho" for Houston to be a tourist destination city? We are fine the way we are (other than lack of zoning).

I would suggest people are the main element that make up a great neighborhood. We don't need giant tvs and stuff. Just people. They are more dynamic than any created instrument ever could be.

But I guess giant tvs couldn't hurt :) We need the people first though, which the tvs could or could not help bring.

Well, I would still like the Screens on various parts of the project. They could be used for special evening events, or when a team makes the playoffs. Just close off one or two blocks of fannin and watch the sold out games.

FYI: The cranes are all gone.

EDIT: No cranes.

Edited by ricco67

So having a "wanna-be Times Square" will energize downtown? Sorry but glitz and glamour will last as about as long as most of the "clubs" did in downtown. You need something more than flashy TV screens.

I think the Pavilions is a start in the right direction if they keep it up. The Park shops failed (still funny that Crescent keeps raising the rent). It went from stores like The Gap and Oshmans to insurance companies and The Dress Barn. If it weren't for the performing art centers in downtown, Bayou Place would have failed. HP has a good start, but in my opinion they need more "popular" retail.

Why is everyone so "gung ho" for Houston to be a tourist destination city? We are fine the way we are (other than lack of zoning).

Not to take it off topic too far, but there's nothing wrong with bringing tourists to Houston, is there? If anything, it supplements the economy a little bit. It doesn't hurt.

But I'd agree that we just need to create places for Houstonians, and in turn, people might become attracted to the uniqueness and want to visit as a tourist. But just b/c times square has them doesn't mean that we're not being unique. Almost everything has been done before. It's just that each place puts it's own spin on things, hopefully.

I see TV's only helping entice more people to come to. Especially if they show movies and stuff on the TV's.

What's wrong with bringing more tourists to Houston? It only helps the economy. Tourism brings in more hotel night stays, more transit users, more things bought at the stores, etc. Don't see what is wrong with wanting more of that.