METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

Go to downtown Fort Worth. The Bass family pays for private security to police downtown, and as a result it's very nice, and far safer than most major downtowns.

IMO, downtown Fort Worth is a great example of planned urbanism similar to that of City Centre, et. al....the area is vibrant, family friendly and diverse; although imo, it doesn't reflect a "sense of place" anymore than Sugar Land/Pearland/Woodlands Town Centers, The Domain in Austin, etc.  So, I'm not sure the town center-type development route would give Houston the organic urban feel befitting the fourth and fastest growing city in the nation.  

However, I do believe that there are lessons ( free parking lots courtesy of the Bass family also :-) that can be learned from the Fort Worth plan that would give our downtown (which is a LOT less vibrant than Fort Worth's at the moment) the needed push to transform.

I am wondering if there are issues with the trains or tracks for this guy.  I rode the purple line to UH a couple of weeks ago and my brother-in-law rode it everyday.  There were really loud grinding noises at a bunch of spots that I have never heard on the red line.

I am wondering if there are issues with the trains or tracks for this guy. I rode the purple line to UH a couple of weeks ago and my brother-in-law rode it everyday. There were really loud grinding noises at a bunch of spots that I have never heard on the red line.

I hear the trains squeal going around corners. There are many more turns on the purple line than the red line, so maybe that's what you're hearing?

I hear the trains squeal going around corners. There are many more turns on the purple line than the red line, so maybe that's what you're hearing?

I did consider this too, but the scraping, grinding noise, is different than on the curves on the red line and even happens in straight lines on the purple.  No clue.

There's certainly a lot more people walking around campus in general. I wonder if some students are opting to park on streets in midtown, or another safish area near the rail lines and take rail? Student fares are 50% normal fares, I don't know what it costs for a semester of parking on campus, but it can't be less than student metro fare.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the added weight of the new trams that Metro ordered from CAF.

There was an article about this recently. Metro is spending millions adjusting their equipment for the heavier cars.

There's certainly a lot more people walking around campus in general. I wonder if some students are opting to park on streets in midtown, or another safish area near the rail lines and take rail? Student fares are 50% normal fares, I don't know what it costs for a semester of parking on campus, but it can't be less than student metro fare.

Yea from my observations ridership has picked up

Edited by Slick Vik

It's cheaper to use the rail for students?! That's good to know

It's cheaper to use the rail for students?! That's good to know

I only assume so.

I found a page on the UH website, but it's confusing in the price structure.

some permit costs reference single semester, some reference fall/spring combined, and some don't reference either.

http://www.uh.edu/af-auxiliary-services/parking/parking-on-campus/permits/

the easiest to understand though is single semester permit is $162. there's roughly 16 weeks in a semester (end of August to middle of December, less a week for holidays). that's 80 weekdays, assuming you are on campus every day, that's ~$100 for metro. so significantly cheaper.

but then, there's an 'economy' permit for $99 who knows whether that's per semester or what, either way though, that's either going to be the same price as metro, or significantly cheaper (single semester, or two semesters). I do know that this is the gravel lots that are on the other side of Elgin.

Cheaper by far is to park in the Broadmoor neighborhood on the other side of 45 and catch the UH circulator that stops at the eastwood transit center every 10-15 minutes. parking is free, and riding is free. just be sure you park a cheap enough car over there, I know cars get broken into from time to time, but I'm sure the same is true of the UH lots. a bonus is that the circulator stops right in front of the post grad housing, which is right across the street from the nook coffee shop, so the money you save on parking, you can spend on coffee at my coffee shop :)

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

the easiest to understand though is single semester permit is $162. there's roughly 16 weeks in a semester (end of August to middle of December, less a week for holidays). that's 80 weekdays, assuming you are on campus every day, that's ~$100 for metro. so significantly cheaper.

Assuming 80 weekdays, you have to pay for a round trip not just one way, so that's 160 trips per semester.  However, students are eligble for a reduced rate Q card - $0.60 per trip.

80 * 2 * 0.60 = $96

Coincidentally that's almost the same as 80 one way trips at full price

80 * 1.25 = $100

It's always cheaper to find free street parking, but yeah you run the risk of your car no longer being whole

I only assume so.

I found a page on the UH website, but it's confusing in the price structure.

some permit costs reference single semester, some reference fall/spring combined, and some don't reference either.

http://www.uh.edu/af-auxiliary-services/parking/parking-on-campus/permits/

but then, there's an 'economy' permit for $99 who knows whether that's per semester or what, either way though, that's either going to be the same price as metro, or significantly cheaper (single semester, or two semesters). I do know that this is the gravel lots that are on the other side of Elgin.

Cheaper by far is to park in the Broadmoor neighborhood on the other side of 45 and catch the UH circulator that stops at the eastwood transit center every 10-15 minutes. parking is free, and riding is free. just be sure you park a cheap enough car over there, I know cars get broken into from time to time, but I'm sure the same is true of the UH lots. a bonus is that the circulator stops right in front of the post grad housing, which is right across the street from the nook coffee shop, so the money you save on parking, you can spend on coffee at my coffee shop :)

Tybg this is so great.

I'm curious as to why there is a turning lane next to both of these lines downtown. Like isn't that asking for an accident to happen? I totally get having the turning lane on the tracks which is cool but not next to the tracks. Am I missing something here? And I also noticed that during rush hour the purple and green line don't run trains all the way through. I wonder if there is fear of a collision.

Funny the trains were running all the way through at rush hour  - considering I've started taking the purple at rush hour.

And which turning lane were you talking about?  All the ones I can think of are either protected lefts (so the train won't be going) or lanes on the tracks

I noticed the turning lane at Smith and Capitol. And I noticed people turning in front of the train a few streets before that as well, as if they are either afraid to turn on the tracks or they are confused how the turning lane works. And thanks for letting me know they are running the trains thru rush hr, I've just never seen them go past Main during that time. Not saying they don't run at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious as to why there is a turning lane next to both of these lines downtown. Like isn't that asking for an accident to happen? I totally get having the turning lane on the tracks which is cool but not next to the tracks. Am I missing something here? And I also noticed that during rush hour the purple and green line don't run trains all the way through. I wonder if there is fear of a collision.

Yeah I've noticed that on the new line, it does look risky. But there are intersections just like that on Fannin street  on the red line in-between wheeler and museum district stations (fannin and Binz). I'm not sure if cars are legally allowed to turn left on the lane next to the line on fannin, but regardless I see cars turn left all the time.

The stations at UH always seem to have people waiting... which is a good thing. My daughter is a sophomore there in a dorm and she said the kids all use it to get to downtown/midtown as it saves them so much $$$ on parking and uber. 

I went to the UH football game last Saturday and our tailgate spot is adjacent to the "Robertson Stadium" stop. I was impressed by how many people appeared to be using the rail to get to the game. My tailgate group has decided that we're all going to get hotel rooms downtown and ride the rail to the game on Halloween (Vanderbilt game). Good times ahead!

• Like 3

Yeah I've noticed that on the new line, it does look risky. But there are intersections just like that on Fannin street  on the red line in-between wheeler and museum district stations (fannin and Binz). I'm not sure if cars are legally allowed to turn left on the lane next to the line on fannin, but regardless I see cars turn left all the time.

You know I just barely noticed that yesterday in the Museum District. I think it comes down to just being aware of where you are. Turning left when the train in going both directions isn't allowed but it makes sense that if a train is going the same direction as traffic, then it comes down to just making sure a train isn't coming before turning. Overall that's just my guess. I'm going to contact Metro and ask.

I don't think a lot of ppl have caught on to the whole "take the tram to the game" idea yet. On weekends, you can park at the end of the green/purple line on rusk for free. I did it this past weekend and we were the only car that stopped there.

Paid $7 round trip for rail tickets where as some people paid $40 to park a few blocks away.

• Like 2