METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

That's all yall got?

weak.

Throw something harder.

I have a Mercedes s550 and ride public transport all the time. And a 7 figure bank account with properties in various nations on top of that. Not sure what you're trying to prove here tough guy. Not to mention I know people that live in rice lofts that ride the rail fairly often. So you're full of it.

• Like 1

Streetcars also didn't have the following advantages that roads have had since world war 2.

subsidized road building, eminent domain, anti-urban federal home tax breaks and lending programs, positive feedback loops, and density-limiting zoning and parking policies.

Not to mention bribed politicians that refused to raise fares and forced streetcar operators to pay for road maintenance used by cars. This is actually something METRO has to do as well which basically doubles its construction costs

I have a Mercedes s550 and ride public transport all the time. And a 7 figure bank account with properties in various nations on top of that. Not sure what you're trying to prove here tough guy. Not to mention I know people that live in rice lofts that ride the rail fairly often. So you're full of it.

When I go out to HH at Doc's, El Real, Uchi, original Ninfa's, Downtown, or Midtown.  I ride the bus or rail and I'm not a shame of it.  You don't have to park or get a DWI!  There are so many people that die from drunks that drive everyday.  So I tell my friends for $1.25 each way is well worth it.  We are taking the bus to the Pride Parade. 

• Like 1

When I go out to HH at Doc's, El Real, Uchi, original Ninfa's, Downtown, or Midtown. I ride the bus or rail and I'm not a shame of it. You don't have to park or get a DWI! There are so many people that die from drunks that drive everyday. So I tell my friends for $1.25 each way is well worth it. We are taking the bus to the Pride Parade.

Not to mention uber if it's past the hours of public transit operation. $1.25 is a tremendous deal particularly for the 102.

Not saying it's right or wrong about class and public transport in the USA, especially in Houston, just saying that's what it is. I just came back from Italy. There you see very wealthy people riding public transportation. I wish it was like that here. But it's not. That's my whole point. It's not about ME or my neighbors in Rice Lofts. It's about people who will depend on the light rail. A stop in front of the Hobby Center does no good for most people who would have preferred a stop in front of the courts. that' one example. I want Metro to move people that' it. I don't care about telling my liberal friends that Houston is better than your city because we have so many tracks of rail, etc..

In Houston and in other parts of the country (I used to live in NYC) the more you earn the less likely you are ride public transport. As far as people from Rice Lofts you have seen on the light rail. private message me their names. Because I think you're full of it.

Perhaps someone who never rides the light rail will ride it once a year to go to the Rodeo or to a Texans game. Or the Dynamo game for the east lines, but is that how we should design our light rail? for the upper class in mind? Shame on yall.

Not to mention uber if it's past the hours of public transit operation. $1.25 is a tremendous deal particularly for the 102.

Be careful with uber.  We do use it a lot.  But with a special event they have surge pricing.  So six of us went to the Rodeo cook off and we needed a SUV.  They charged me $97 one way from NRG to my house in Upper Kirby!  They might also have during the parade downtown so we will take the bus.

Not saying it's right or wrong about class and public transport in the USA, especially in Houston, just saying that's what it is. I just came back from Italy. There you see very wealthy people riding public transportation. I wish it was like that here. But it's not. That's my whole point. It's not about ME or my neighbors in Rice Lofts. It's about people who will depend on the light rail. A stop in front of the Hobby Center does no good for most people who would have preferred a stop in front of the courts. that' one example. I want Metro to move people that' it. I don't care about telling my liberal friends that Houston is better than your city because we have so many tracks of rail, etc..

In Houston and in other parts of the country (I used to live in NYC) the more you earn the less likely you are ride public transport. As far as people from Rice Lofts you have seen on the light rail. private message me their names. Because I think you're full of it.

Perhaps someone who never rides the light rail will ride it once a year to go to the Rodeo or to a Texans game. Or the Dynamo game for the east lines, but is that how we should design our light rail? for the upper class in mind? Shame on yall.

>Asking for proof from Slick

>Makes wild claim "wealthy people don't use public transport" without a claim

>tries to turn his whole argument around on us like its our fault we got to this point in the discussion

This is bait son

From that same study (http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-04-08/2013_Commute_Survey_Report.pdf) 13,000 of the 150,000 people working downtown participated in the survey (page 13). which is a good sample size for a statistical analysis.

there is the following excerpt from page 21:

Further, when asked what might motivate changing modes, significant numbers of solo drivers say that they would switch to transit if it were more convenient to home:

more than 1,600 solo drivers said they would switch to bus transit if there were a park-and-ride or express bus route more convenient to their home, and

more than 2,000 solo drivers said they would switch to rail transit if there were convenient rail service near home.

so 3600 of the 13000 polled would take bus/rail if it were more convenient. Not sure about your math, but my math comes out to more than 25%. 

that works out to over 40,000 people.

Furthermore, on page 22 of the same document:

Employer incentive schemes shape commute mode splits

In order to understand the effect that different transportation incentive schemes have on employee commute decisions, one can review the commute mode split among the firms that offer incentives. In 2013, 58 entities had two or more survey respondents who reported that their employer subsidizes their commute. These 58 companies accounted for 11,637 survey respondents, including respondents who did not report taking advantage of subsidies.

Among these 58 entities, the type of transportation incentives an employer offered demonstrably shaped the commute choices of their employees. As shown in the chart below, the firms that only pay for parking incurred the highest rate of solo driving.

The firms that only pay for transit have the highest rates of bus and rail commuting. Note also, these firms that fund transit and do not pay for parking also have the highest share of employees who walk or bicycle to work daily

There goes your theory that 'rich people hate the rail'.

Now we're getting somewhere. I'm glad we agree. And if we can agree with my source and/or my observations that high income earners do not use public transportation very often if at all.

Then why do YOU or ANYONE else on this board attribute new development of high rise luxury residential towers with a primarily low income mode of transportation?

Edited by 102IAHexpress

Now we're getting somewhere. I'm glad we agree. And if we can agree with my source and/or my observations that high income earners do not use public transportation very often if at all.

Then why do YOU or ANYONE else on this board attribute new development of high rise luxury residential towers with a primarily low income mode of transportation?

High income earners don't ride rail in Paris, London, San Francisco, New York, Madrid, Barcelona, Istanbul, etc? Give me a break.

We're talking about Houston Slick. As I mentioned earlier when I was in Italy I saw lots of wealthy people on the train.

But nice try deflecting my question. I provided a source like yall wanted. So how about answering my question?

High Income earners in HOUSTON do not use public transportation very much if at all. So how can the light rail be the spur of luxury high rise apartments/condos...?

Remember it was yall that made the claim about those developments on the development map...

We're talking about Houston Slick. As I mentioned earlier when I was in Italy I saw lots of wealthy people on the train.

But nice try deflecting my question. I provided a source like yall wanted. So how about answering my question?

High Income earners in HOUSTON do not use public transportation very much if at all. So how can the light rail be the spur of luxury high rise apartments/condos...?

Remember it was yall that made the claim about those developments on the development map...

A good percentage of my coworkers take the rail and they're all making 6 figures. Also there are a lot of people in the medical center who ride it as well.

Also I would say most people who ride park and rides make a decent income.

Look at any kinder survey and tell me rich people don't want to be in walkable areas with rail. These developers are purposely building next to rail for a reason. If you can't see that you're blind. Also to me half a mile is a reasonable walk to a rail station.

Edited by Slick Vik

What's the percentage of high income earners in other countries that take public transit?

A high percentage of downtown employees choose to drive to work because they are provided incentives from their employers to do so, it's all there in the same study.

another thing I gleaned from the study (don't remember what page) the demographics of the respondents showed that the highest percentile respondent earns between 50-75k.

while that's above average, I wouldn't put that in the 'rich people' category, maybe 'doing well middle class' category.

A more perfect source I could not have provided. Survey of commuters to and in Downtown Houston within the last couple of years. Wealthy people in Houston do not like public transportation. Not sure why that's even news to yall but whatever.

And I appreciate that some of your friends are making 6 figures. But some of these properties are being built for truly upper class populations. So again try answering my question. How can you attribute the development of a high rise luxury condo/apts. with the light rail? How did the light rail spur those developments?

Try answering that question.

A more perfect source I could not have provided. Survey of commuters to and in Downtown Houston within the last couple of years. Wealthy people in Houston do not like public transportation. Not sure why that's even news to yall but whatever.

And I appreciate that some of your friends are making 6 figures. But some of these properties are being built for truly upper class populations. So again try answering my question. How can you attribute the development of a high rise luxury condo/apts. with the light rail? How did the light rail spur those developments?

Try answering that question.

Oh ok. So now people in the 1% aren't good enough. Need to be in the upper quadrant of that percentage. Stop moving goal posts. Like I said 6 figures doesn't blow me away. Come talk to me when you hit 8. I don't know why I accidentally typed 7 before. Edited by Slick Vik

I'd venture to guess that for people who live and work in downtown the light rail probably isn't a huge draw from a commute standpoint (regardless of income level).

From an amenity standpoint though? It's a big enough deal that marketing departments within these condo/apartment complex spend time promoting the proximity of their location to the rail. Why spend all that money having advertisements that are promoting proximity to rail if no one wants to use it? It's not like it's an afterthought. 

We'd need access to the people who did the study to get data based specifically on what you are trying to prove through this level of the study, but the problem is 35% of the people who participated earn under $75k annually. Access to the people who did the study could remove the people who are ruining the study for you. 35% isn't a small number.

I'm going back to eating popcorn now.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

Ahh more deflecting. My source showed that even low six figure commuters do not use local/rail service very often if at all in Houston. But again nice try deflecting. so, how about my question?

You're a clown and a sensationalist troll. You have deflected every point made to you. Still waiting you to answer samagon and others.

• Like 1

Ahh, now the name calling approach. okay. I'm the troll? haha. I have less than two hundred posts on this forum. Do you have anything better to do than post on the internet? You post too much.

Anyways are you going to answer my question or not?  You can say no.

Edited by 102IAHexpress

Ahh, now the name calling approach. okay. I'm the troll? haha. I have less than two hundred posts on this forum. Do you have anything better to do than post on the internet? You post too much.

Anyways are you going to answer my question or not? You can say no.

You are one of the biggest trolls in the history of haif. The fact you've done it so quickly is remarkable and pathetic at the same time.

Try again. I've been a member since 2007. hardly ever post. You're the one with posting problem. So not going to answer my question?

The reason people drive more is because the system is set up to favor cars. Take away mandatory parking requirements and make all parking downtown $500 a month and raise toll prices to $10 one way and I guarantee you the "wealthy" people would be on the bus and train like anyone else. But you're too much of a moron to realize that. Keep on trolling

The reason people drive more is because the system is set up to favor cars. Take away mandatory parking requirements and make all parking downtown $500 a month and raise toll prices to $10 one way and I guarantee you the "wealthy" people would be on the bus and train like anyone else. But you're too much of a moron to realize that. Keep on trolling

Or they'd just find a job in the energy corridor, westchase, the woodlands, etc. You're trying to kill downtown. Don't kill downtown.

• Like 2