METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

In an effort to get things back, I drove along the green route and passed by workers digging up squares of sidewalk next to the coffee factory, looks like they're planting trees there which is nice.

Also, workers were at the end of the working route removing stripes & markers on the temporary asphalt; looks like they're gearing up for construction on the overpass. There was also a sign that said " Harrisburg Overpass Fall 2016"

If that's what they're aiming for, I expect a pretty quick schedule for those guys. Building a bridge for cars alone is a long process. Add light rail lines? That's impressive

• Like 1

The reason people drive more is because the system is set up to favor cars. Take away mandatory parking requirements and make all parking downtown $500 a month and raise toll prices to $10 one way and I guarantee you the "wealthy" people would be on the bus and train like anyone else. But you're too much of a moron to realize that. Keep on trolling

Now you're making a new claim without backing it up. interesting. And since no city/county official is proposing or will ever propose the SlickVic vision of raising a tax on driving, removing parking requirements, etc. I'll just add it to the deflection list.

Obviously you cannot answer my question. I guess you're too proud or something? I don't know.

But for everyone else that is actually having a discussion, can we all agree that the light rail perhaps does not spur as much development as yall think it does? just perhaps? Is there at least that possibility?

can we all agree that the light rail perhaps does not spur as much development as yall think it does? just perhaps? Is there at least that possibility?

No. You clearly aren't giving rail enough credit just because you and a few of your neighbors don't ride the rail. Over 40,000 people do. The red line is the most successful modern day light rail line in the country.. Yeah it took a while for developers to catch on (rail is still a foreign concept for many Houstonians), but the benefits are clear and you can bet your bottom dollar the areas along the rail lines will be some of the first to be redeveloped.

Now you're making a new claim without backing it up. interesting. And since no city/county official is proposing or will ever propose the SlickVic vision of raising a tax on driving, removing parking requirements, etc. I'll just add it to the deflection list.

Obviously you cannot answer my question. I guess you're too proud or something? I don't know.

But for everyone else that is actually having a discussion, can we all agree that the light rail perhaps does not spur as much development as yall think it does? just perhaps? Is there at least that possibility?

Without backing what up? Look at the story of this country. It's very obvious. Then look at London or New York or other cities that don't obsess around the automobile and see how society functions. You're the laziest debator in the history of this board. At least try.

More deflection by Slick.

Seriously? NYC and London? Some of the most densely populated cities in the world?  How about you answer my question about HOUSTON. Stop being a lazy debator. Don't switch topics. If you want to discuss rail in NYC and London you are free to start a thread. But we're talking about Houston light rail. And yall are making some pretty big claims about our light rail and are not able to back them up. I'm just asking for some back up.

Cloud,

You're saying i'm not giving rail enough credit? Okay, lets switch the assumption. What if I make the claim that all the recent downtown development is because of all the bus routes that flow into downtown? Which is to say, our bus routes have spurred hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Our bus routes are the reason Downtown is booming? Our bus routes are what is driving developers to build luxury high rises and office towers. How does that sound to you? Would I sound like i was smoking something if i made that claim?

Edited by 102IAHexpress

I have a Mercedes s550 and ride public transport all the time. And a 7 figure bank account with properties in various nations on top of that. Not sure what you're trying to prove here tough guy. Not to mention I know people that live in rice lofts that ride the rail fairly often. So you're full of it.

Isn't it wonderful that we can pretend to be whatever we want on the internet?

Honesty-On-The-Internet-Funny-Technology

More deflection by Slick.

Seriously? NYC and London? Some of the most densely populated cities in the world? How about you answer my question about HOUSTON. Stop being a lazy debator. Don't switch topics. If you want to discuss rail in NYC and London you are free to start a thread. But we're talking about Houston light rail. And yall are making some pretty big claims about our light rail and are not able to back them up. I'm just asking for some back up.

Cloud,

You're saying i'm not giving rail enough credit? Okay, lets switch the assumption. What if I make the claim that all the recent downtown development is because of all the bus routes that flow into downtown? Which is to say, our bus routes have spurred hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Our bus routes are the reason Downtown is booming? Our bus routes are what is driving developers to build luxury high rises and office towers. How does that sound to you? Would I sound like i was smoking something if i made that claim?

You're smoking crack, I recommend you stop, it's a bad habit. Proclaiming buses that have been running for three decades have spurred development is frankly stupid.

You're smoking crack, I recommend you stop, it's a bad habit. Proclaiming buses that have been running for three decades have spurred development is frankly stupid.

I would reccommend you stop smoking crack and reread that post.

The reason people drive more is because the system is set up to favor cars. Take away mandatory parking requirements and make all parking downtown $500 a month and raise toll prices to $10 one way and I guarantee you the "wealthy" people would be on the bus and train like anyone else. But you're too much of a moron to realize that. Keep on trolling

The Katy tollway already costs $7 one way during peak hours and the top end of contract rates were already pushing $400 in 2014.  Try again.

Now before I say what im going to say in this post, I was born and raised in London and lived there for 15+ years. 

I was riding back on the red line from the Museum District to my place at the Houston House when something funny happened. As im riding the train, 6 metro officers come into the train at the Mcgowen stop and start yelling that they are going to start checking tickets. There obviously making a big scene and speaking loudly all at the same time DOING NOTHING. They were literally just standing there yelling how they are going to check tickets. All the hobos and non ticketed people get afraid and at the next stop they all get off the train. Remind you, the metro officers had not checked ONE SINGLE TICKET FOR ANY PASSENGER! I At this point they all start laughing and proclaim how they made all the bums get off the train. I then proceed to ask the officers how come they didnt check any tickets and they said it wouldnt matter because the bums and anyone else wouldnt have the money to pay the tickets so they do these scare tactics. 

Then I start making small talk and ask them why doesnt metro build underground. The two officers quickily get defensive and claim that because houston is under sea level it would be impossible to build underground. I then proceed to tell them that numerous other cities that are below sea level have also built underground trains and they tell me i have no idea what im talking about lol. 

We need to all admit that metro is the biggest joke of an organization! The two new rails that they spent almost a billion dollars is a complete WASTE OF MONEY! Instead of expanding the red line to the airport or having the Southeast line connect to hobby make the line USELESS. They should have spent the money better instead of building rail that doesnt even give the residents living in the east district access to the line. The line isnt close enough for any of the residents to catch it hence making it useless for most people. I wouldnt be suprised if the new lines have some of the lowest ridership numbers !

Nd All the residents I have spoken to that live at Skyhouse or Houston House NEVER take the light rail anywhere. They all say it is far too insufficient and unreliable. 

LOL.

You think it's a waste but you would have preferred us to build a subway. Do you know how expensive that would have been? Do you know we had to build the original line without federal aid? Where would you have come up with the extra billion or two it would have cost? 

Also, how is connecting two transit centers, The University of Houston, Texas Southern University, and the East End to the original line a waste? Just because it doesn't currently go to Hobby?

Going further, light rail to IAH would be a disaster. There would be far too many stops and the train is too slow to make that distance worthwhile. IAH needs a heavy rail connection to downtown. Someday, that might come.

Lastly, every resident you have spoken with at Skyhouse/Houston House says the rail is too insufficient and unreliable? 

• Like 1

LOL.

You think it's a waste but you would have preferred us to build a subway. Do you know how expensive that would have been? Do you know we had to build the original line without federal aid? Where would you have come up with the extra billion or two it would have cost? 

Also, how is connecting two transit centers, The University of Houston, Texas Southern University, and the East End to the original line a waste? Just because it doesn't currently go to Hobby?

Going further, light rail to IAH would be a disaster. There would be far too many stops and the train is too slow to make that distance worthwhile. IAH needs a heavy rail connection to downtown. Someday, that might come.

Lastly, every resident you have spoken with at Skyhouse/Houston House says the rail is too insufficient and unreliable? 

Hardly ANYONE rides the lightrail from skyhouse/houston house and the stop is literally right in front of the entrance. The majority of the residents would much rather take an uber to market square/midtown. The inefficiency of the lightrail to go through the heart of midtown is going to cost it thousands of ridership.  

Why does everyone think that downtown residents ride the light rail? 

Hardly ANYONE rides the lightrail from skyhouse/houston house and the stop is literally right in front of the entrance. The majority of the residents would much rather take an uber to market square/midtown. The inefficiency of the lightrail to go through the heart of midtown is going to cost it thousands of ridership.

Source required

At last check, only 40% of Skyhouse was rented out and zero of the retail spaces have opened (one rented to a pizza joint).

Why is the light rail inefficient through midtown? Too many stops? Too slow? Bad location? I don't get it.

As far as anecdotal evidence, I have two friends who are doctors that live in Commerce Towers and both ride the rail to work @ TMC. They also OWN their places (likely meaning more wealth than renters).

Edited by KinkaidAlum

It doesnt go through the popular parts of midtown aka west gray and bagby and where the bars are on Louisana.

The stops that it does go through, there a bunch of hobos

1. It's not that far of a walk from downtown transit center or McGowen to anywhere in midtown

2. For someone from London I'm surprised you're scared of poor people and minorities.

How is it inefficient? It runs more frequently than the bus and is still $1.25. The fact you have to walk a few minutes shows the laziness of people that live here more than anything. And I have coworkers that live in Houston house and sky house that ride the rail daily.

I mean seriously you can't expect random METRO cops to really know why we didn't build underground.  

It'd be insanely expensive to build underground here, but it's possible.  In the 80s the heavy rail plan included a subway in downtown and parts of Uptown.  

Politics got in the way though and we had to build the original line with local funds, didn't have enough money to build underground. 

• Like 2

It doesnt go through the popular parts of midtown aka west gray and bagby and where the bars are on Louisana.

The stops that it does go through, there a bunch of hobos

Seriously? West Gray and Bagby is about a 5-10 min walk from the light rail -.-

• Like 2

Heaven forbid society learns to not be such a piece of Sh!te but granted it's still currently not ok for the chicas to be walking alone at night unless they're the badass kind like in Agents of Shield

WTF are you talking about? Have you EVER been to midtown to go out? You think someone is going to walk from the downtown transit center in bar/clubbing entire and go through that mcdonalds/grey hound/2016 main area ? 

Do us a favor and try it tonight and let me know how it works for you. Females get assaulted/sexually assaulted as a higher rate then males do, so wtf are you even trying to say?

• Like 1

WTF are you talking about? Have you EVER been to midtown to go out? You think someone is going to walk from the downtown transit center in bar/clubbing entire and go through that mcdonalds/grey hound/2016 main area ?

Do us a favor and try it tonight and let me know how it works for you. Females get assaulted/sexually assaulted as a higher rate then males do, so wtf are you even trying to say?

I said I agreed with that but that's really not an excuse because society in general shouldn't be that Sh!!ty in the first place?

If it's really not that clear yet, I have taken nothing posted here seriously since last week and will continue to do so