George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

When terminal C opened, it went from big to positively gi-normous. And then of course they started getting stupid with the names. The Mickey Leeland terminal? I mean really, what kind of a sick joke was that?

EDIT: (for newer locals, and youngsters: Mickey Leeland died in a plane crash.)

Dude! I never put the two together. Maybe I should run for council.

Thinking, I am pretty sure I have heard Doug Brown (or was it Ed Brandon?) always say "big airport".

And along the same lines, look for the Carol Alvarado light rail station, coming soon.

And when the train is late "it's not her fault. She didn't do it!".

Yep. Same for DCA... Let's try to keep things consistent... (I realize it's not practical to re-code airport designators, in reality... so we should leave well enough alone when it comes to renaming airports, just my opinion...)

How about HOU? Should we have kept it Houston International Airport and renamed it Houston Municipal Airport when Intercontinental opened?

How about HOU? Should we have kept it Houston International Airport and renamed it Houston Municipal Airport when Intercontinental opened?

When you build and name an airport, leave it alone. Why anyone (or anyone who has authority) would want to (re)name an airport after someone (or rename it, period) is beyond me. The airport is the last place on earth I want to be stuck in, or really even enjoy going to. (Re)name other buildings... e.g. "The Toyota Center" ... "Enron Field" after people who have made a significant impact on society, not an airport for crying out loud.

I've never been able to call it 'Bush' either . . . just stuck with 'Intercontinental'. I must say, though, that in the future I'll definitely go with Intergalactic! What a hoot . . . Are the clocks set on sidereal time? Do they show MST on the in-flight movies? Just don't entrust your beloved pet to the Schr

It's just faster and easier to say Bush.

I have a friend who used that exact same excuse to refer to vegetables as "veggies." I'm serious. *Subdude shudders* Me, I never felt that multisyllabic words ever really slowed me down that much.

When you build and name an airport, leave it alone. Why anyone (or anyone who has authority) would want to (re)name an airport after someone (or rename it, period) is beyond me. The airport is the last place on earth I want to be stuck in, or really even enjoy going to. (Re)name other buildings... e.g. "The Toyota Center" ... "Enron Field" after people who have made a significant impact on society, not an airport for crying out loud.

For some reason, politicians have an insatiable urge to name airports after other politicians. I don't pretend to understand it, but then again I don't understand politics to begin with.

I have a friend who used that exact same excuse to refer to vegetables as "veggies." I'm serious. *Subdude shudders* Me, I never felt that multisyllabic words ever really slowed me down that much.

Ha, that's kinda sad IMO. But they were only saving one sylable. I'm saving 5! That's a big difference. Plus, factor in that I'm not a talker. It can make me physically tired.

Edited by lockmat

I know in DC many people were upset when the airport was renamed from DC National to Ronald Reagan National (me included ... I thought it was very partisan to do that, but hey ... whatever).

Anyhow, it took a long time for people to be comfortable calling it that.

We're you just as upset at the naming of New York's JFK airport Mr. Non-partisan ?

We're you just as upset at the naming of New York's JFK airport Mr. Non-partisan ?

Well, first of all, it would have been hard for me to be as upset because I wasn't even born.

Secondly, I'd like to think there is at least a SLIGHT difference in naming our Nation's capitol airport, the one literally across the river from the White House, Congress, Supreme Court, Washington Monument, Jefferson Monument, etc... than an airport on Long Island.

Thirdly, Reagan wasn't assinated while still serving.

Finally, if people needed a Regan Airport, why not rename the one in Orange County, California to the John Wayne-Ronald Reagan Airport? That is pretty damn fitting.

Funny that Reagan came up. Most people still call it National, just like most call ours Intercontinental...and they still call 3-Com Park Candlestick. Just goes to show, you can change the name, but you can't make us say it.

Also applies to Town Lake in Austin being renamed Lady Bird Lake.

I think the big airprot should go for a new name, The word Bush has a lot of negitive going towards it and I don't think Houston should associate itself with it. Nothing agianst the Bushs!

Apparently a need to change the name because of so-called "negativity" over our 41st Pres. would be something "against" him, don'tcha think ?

I still call Bush, Intercontinental, so yeah, what's the big deal ?

Edited by TJones

Apparently a need to change the name because of so-called "negativity" over our 41st Pres. would be something "against" him, don'tcha think ?

I think that what citykid is saying is that he personally doesn't have anything against 41, but that some people mistake 41 for 43 and then might associate 43 with Houston, and that we should care what idiots think about us.