George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

I hate that Continental expands EWR over IAH, but can you blame them?

A 20 million person market compared to a 5.5 million person market.

Massive O&D at EWR and close to the largest financial markets in the world, the New Jersey Pharm. market, a massive tourism market, and more.

Plus, when you fly from IAH to Europe, you pretty much fly right over EWR. IAH-EWR-Europe makes a helluva lot more sense.

That said, we did win a major coup when they started the EZE (Buenos Aires) flights from IAH. That flight has proven to be a GOLDMINE for Continental (as did the Brazil flights compared to the Brazil flights from EWR) so maybe we'll win a few more.

Of course, the biggest thing hurting IAH is the Feds. The transit rules put into place after 9-11 mean that all of the Latin American connections CO could offer at IAH (31 cities in MEX, every major airport in Central America, and several South American routes) to Europe, Japan, Hawaii, etc... are no longer pleasurable for non-US citizens.

I agree with that point... of course continental is going to fly more international routes out of EWR... it's next to New York City! Plus, airlines try and fly routes they know enough passangers want to fly. There is a reason Emarites is beginning flights to Houston as opposed to Chicago or L.A.... more people from Houston when compared to Chicago or L.A. will want to or need to fly to Dubai.

Marty, maybe they plan for F. M. 1960 to go underground for the section where the runway would be built?

I don't know about the tunnel ideal, but the Airport would have to buy all the houses northwest of Cypress Creek to Aldine Westfield/Cypresswood BLVD area because of noise complaints.

Edited by Marty

I remember one of there plans in the Master Plan release had a runway crossing 1960, I dout that will ever happen.

That particular runway plan was not adopted. The new north-side runway will go in between the two existing runways, IIRC. There will also be a new south-side runway approx. 1 mile south of the current south-side runway.

• 2 weeks later...
I hate that Continental expands EWR over IAH, but can you blame them?

A 20 million person market compared to a 5.5 million person market.

Massive O&D at EWR and close to the largest financial markets in the world, the New Jersey Pharm. market, a massive tourism market, and more.

Plus, when you fly from IAH to Europe, you pretty much fly right over EWR. IAH-EWR-Europe makes a helluva lot more sense.

You know I thought I was the ONLY one bothered by this. I just hate how I have to lay over when I live in a hub city. Another thing that pisses me off is that Continental does not have any late flights from LAX to IAH. Meaning for those getting off of transpacific flights between 5-7pm they have to wait until the NEXT DAY to get into Houston. But I quess South America is Houston's "Thing".

You know I thought I was the ONLY one bothered by this. I just hate how I have to lay over when I live in a hub city. Another thing that pisses me off is that Continental does not have any late flights from LAX to IAH. Meaning for those getting off of transpacific flights between 5-7pm they have to wait until the NEXT DAY to get into Houston. But I quess South America is Houston's "Thing".

It has to do with timing. I think Continental has flights from LAX to IAH in the early evening, but not after 7 so there aren't arrivals at IAH at 2 in the morning.

It has to do with timing. I think Continental has flights from LAX to IAH in the early evening, but not after 7 so there aren't arrivals at IAH at 2 in the morning.

Besides, I like the idea of using Tokyo Narita as a transpacific gateway to the rest of Asia - A lot of people fly to Korea, Singapore, and China through Tokyo Narita.

I agree that there needs to be more flights to Europe, Africa, and East Asia.

If CO got the 777200LR Houston to Sydney would be possible.

The following are routes that I would like for CO to start from Houston:

South America

* nonstop to Rio de Janeiro

* Santiago de Chile

Europe

* Frankfurt

* Madrid

* Rome

Africa

* Lagos

* Johannesburg

East Asia

* 1 additional flight to Tokyo Narita (CO can move two Guam flights to Tokyo International (Haneda) and allow for additional intercontinental service)

* Seoul

* Hong Kong (Once CO receives the 787 Houston-Hong Kong nonstop is doable)

I would like to see CO resume transpacific Australia services if it gets the 777200LR, as Houston-Sydney is possible with that aircraft.

Edited by VicMan

I would like to see CO resume transpacific Australia services if it gets the 777200LR, as Houston-Sydney is possible with that aircraft.

although i would love the routes that you have mentioned, CO won't order the 772LR; its more expensive ranging from 31-56 million dollars more per plane than the 200ER. they are focusing more on replacing/expanding with the 787-8/9.

Edited by urban909

I've arrived at Hobby on Southwest out of both Phoenix (after an LA layover) and Las Vegas at around 1:30 - 2:00 am. Is Southwest more liberal in its scheduling?

If Houston drivers can't handle a train in their streets, I doubt they'd ever be able to abide by hold short lines on 1960 as landing aircraft speed by.

Ha Ha Ha , maybe this is something they are thinking about in the future say 50+ years from now. :wacko:

If Houston drivers can't handle a train in their streets, I doubt they'd ever be able to abide by hold short lines on 1960 as landing aircraft speed by.

You would have to admit, having people try to "beat the plane" would make for interesting TV watching. Granted, the people on the plane would also be due for a bad day if the vehicle "lost" the race.

You would have to admit, having people try to "beat the plane" would make for interesting TV watching. Granted, the people on the plane would also be due for a bad day if the vehicle "lost" the race.

well thankfully HAS isn't planning on a runway crossing 1960. it borders the property to the north and northeast, unless if they bury FM 1960 I-285 like KATL did with their fifth runway 10/28.

• 2 months later...
Some of the homes closest to 1960 might be affected, but overall, this seems like overkill when cars driving on 1960 are likely in the 85-90 DBA range. Low flying craft are noisy no matter where they are.

I live in the flightpath, not sure it i the new landing pattern, off 1960 @ Ella and the planes are noisy.

The interesting thing is that they do not land overhead all the time. Sometimes it is non-stop, and other times (like the past 2-3) nary a plane overhead.

• 4 weeks later...

i usually fly out of hobby, so i am very familiar with all the lot choices there.

it has been several years since i have flown out of IAH and then i parked at the city lot (parking cents).

I am about to go out of town for a week.

where should i park?

i have a coupon for the parking spot that makes their rate cheaper than parking cents.

and i have seen other lots online that are cheaper than that (speedpark is one).

uncovered is fine.

cheap is fine, but when i return i dont want to be waiting for their shuttle to pick me up for 2 hours.

thanks in advance.

How's about a cab ride, as opposed to long term parking. What is the cost difference and the feeling of security that your car is safe at home ? Isn't it like a flat $45 to the airport, I don't know where you live of course, so maybe not ? Gnu, don't you have ONE friend that would take you to the airport ?

How's about a cab ride, as opposed to long term parking. What is the cost difference and the feeling of security that your car is safe at home ? Isn't it like a flat $45 to the airport, I don't know where you live of course, so maybe not ? Gnu, don't you have ONE friend that would take you to the airport ?

i dont have any friends :( boo hoo.

nah...the whole fam damily is going and the wife will pack enough stuff for a month and then we have all the assorted kid paraphanalia and car seats. so for this case it is easier just to drive our own vehicle up there.

plus we are coming from friendswood.

thanks for bumping my thread though ^_^

Parking Cents lot!!! The shuttle works great and often, I've never waited more than 5 minutes on a shuttle. EZ Tag billing, no hassle trying to keep p with a parking entry receipt, good security never had or heard of any thefts, I average 150-180 days a year parked in the Parking Cents lot. When I land I am in my vehicle and on the Hardy within 20 minutes. Takes longer to walk from my gate to the shuttle, than to get from the terminal to my vehicle and gone. I do the same thing at Salt Lake City, (I keep a vehicle up there), and or when I fly into Durango, I take a shuttle to my home in Pagosa Springs where I have several vehicles. Anywhere else I use Budget Rental Car except in Dubai where I use Dream Car LLC.

I usually pick the best coupon deal I can find here

http://www.airportdiscountparking.com/

or here

http://www.longtermparking.com/texas.htm

or here

http://www.airportparkingreservations.com

The shuttles all seem to be pretty prompt.

These guys were great with the coupon last time - very affordable and fast shuttle service:

http://www.fastparkandrelax.com/fprelax/houston.aspx

Yeah, I was really impressed with the city lots and the shuttles. It is just as good if not better than the private lots.

My only beef with the parking cents lot, and the reason I stopped using them, is that their lot is SOOO big, that there were nights I would spend literally 20-30 minutes on the shuttle in the lot, just waiting to get dropped off in some seemingly random sequence. I took to just getting off at the first stop and walking as it was much much quicker.

My only beef with the parking cents lot, and the reason I stopped using them, is that their lot is SOOO big, that there were nights I would spend literally 20-30 minutes on the shuttle in the lot, just waiting to get dropped off in some seemingly random sequence. I took to just getting off at the first stop and walking as it was much much quicker.

That's a shame, I use the lot and service as much as anyone I thought, and have never had this trouble. Maybe it's because I use Continental more often than not. Just never had any trouble with Parking Cents Lots or Shuttle.

That's a shame, I use the lot and service as much as anyone I thought, and have never had this trouble. Maybe it's because I use Continental more often than not. Just never had any trouble with Parking Cents Lots or Shuttle.

There's one I used before (right there on Jetero ... or whatever they renamed the main street to the airport). It had a nice big lot and even a huge covered carport (that was a little extra per day). Their shuttles were fast and it was easy to get in and out (they used walkie-talkies to expedite pickups, drop offs and such).