George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

This according to the Chronicle. This project will pave the way for the long-anticipated replacement of the "Banjo" concourses in favor of a design consistent to the rest of the terminals at IAH. This project will also include a second FIS facility as well.

Consider this....Terminal E and its FIS facility costed $300 million dollars. I'm interested to see what a $1.2 Billion Dollar Terminal B will look like...

(EDIT: Sorry for the lack of a link...no copy/paste on IPhone)

Not sure you have the correct numbers for Terminal E and the FIS building. From what I can find, the FIS building cost $440 million. The total International Services Expansion Program (ISEP) was $600 million.

That article once again displays the Chron's utter incompetence. A much better understanding of the plan can be had by reading the airport's press release. The most interesting part, to me, is that they will be adding an FIS facility to Terminal B. I had heard rumblings about Continental wanting to do that. I imagine it is primarily to serve Continental Express flights from Mexico. Having to take unload those flights at Terminal E or D and then relocate the aircraft for outbound service has to be very inefficient and costly for Continental.

Edited by Houston19514

This according to the Chronicle. This project will pave the way for the long-anticipated replacement of the "Banjo" concourses in favor of a design consistent to the rest of the terminals at IAH.

What's a "Banjo" concourse?

What's a "Banjo" concourse?

The current setup at B, and former at Terminal A. The gates are in a round pod at the end of a long hallway extending from the main terminal. From above it looks like a banjo. I think at the time it was designed it was thought it may be the wave of the future.

The current setup at B, and former at Terminal A. The gates are in a round pod at the end of a long hallway extending from the main terminal. From above it looks like a banjo. I think at the time it was designed it was thought it may be the wave of the future.

:(

I loved the banjo concourse. I love past waves of the future.

^^I think this will stay for a while.

Will this make Terminal B "linear" like Atlanta's terminals? I remember seeing that plan on the Airport System's website. There will be a underground people mover connecting the terminals together.

It seems strange that we'd spend $1.2 billion on things that will mostly have to be torn down for the long-term master plan.

At least part of this (the new FIS) is a departure from the Master Plan; Perhaps they are making further adjustments to the master plan so that less of this will have to be torn down than one might initially think.

^^I think this will stay for a while.

Will this make Terminal B "linear" like Atlanta's terminals? I remember seeing that plan on the Airport System's website. There will be a underground people mover connecting the terminals together.

Not quite. The linear format is in the long-term master plan. I agree with H-town man that it is hard to see the sense in paying $1.2b for an interim design. I'm sure there's some logic lurking there somewhere, but it sure is hard to see.

I love past waves of the future.

Yeah, generally so do I. If nothing else, the phrase "banjo concourse" is worth preserving. :)

This design will stay. If the master plan goes to completion (which I doubt it would) then the linear terminals could be completed easily with little to no modification of the existing terminals. $1.2 Billion means significant expansion of flights from IAH. I'd imagine that all Mexico arrivals would be consolidated to this 2nd FIS. I can't wait for renderings...when are they going to break ground?

This design will stay. If the master plan goes to completion (which I doubt it would) then the linear terminals could be completed easily with little to no modification of the existing terminals.

I'm not sure about that. If you compare the final to the interim plan, it is apparent that the terminal alignment is different. To meet the final plan, they would have to be building the terminals now so that the north concourses align with the south concourses.

I'm not sure about that. If you compare the final to the interim plan, it is apparent that the terminal alignment is different. To meet the final plan, they would have to be building the terminals now so that the north concourses align with the south concourses.

The north concourses will stay. The south concourses have always been planned to be temporary and will be replaced when the long term master plan is achieved. (This is all according to the master plan... I have no idea why they went temporary on the south side, but it's part of the master plan.) In any event, the new FIS and the existing central terminal would indeed have to be torn down in order to complete the full linear terminal arrangement.

The north concourses will stay. The south concourses have always been planned to be temporary and will be replaced when the long term master plan is achieved. (This is all according to the master plan... I have no idea why they went temporary on the south side, but it's part of the master plan.) In any event, the new FIS and the existing central terminal would indeed have to be torn down in order to complete the full linear terminal arrangement.

Maybe its the geek in me, but I would love to see the schedule and expected timeline on construction of this project and see how it evolves.

I'm sure that there are going to be plenty of people that will be on the verge of slitting their own throats during construction.

Master plans are always tentative and remember this 2nd FIS is actually a new addition to this plan - Continental approached the city about this after the master plan was released. I honestly don't think the master plan will stay as is.

• 2 weeks later...
:(

I loved the banjo concourse. I love past waves of the future.

They were actually quite forward thinking at the time but when those things were built in the 1960's the designers had absolutely no concept of the volume of travelers and planes that would pass through the airport 40 years later. Those "banjos" are somewhat efficient in getting passengers to the planes and fitting the planes into the space around the terminal, but there is very little space inside the little pod for passengers to sit and wait. And speaking as someone who travels often on Continental Express, it can get miserably crowded in there really fast. I welcome these changes as it will make Terminal B (and the real estate around it) a lot more efficient and passenger-friendly...Although I guess the parking situation over there is going to get a lot worse now with more passengers moving through.

One other thing about these particular banjos is that they are really small compared to other airports - maybe room for five 737's - they probably would have survived had they been bigger like these:

Newark

Charles De Gaulle (technically satellite terminals since the banjo necks are underground, I know)

They were actually quite forward thinking at the time but when those things were built in the 1960's the designers had absolutely no concept of the volume of travelers and planes that would pass through the airport 40 years later. Those "banjos" are somewhat efficient in getting passengers to the planes and fitting the planes into the space around the terminal, but there is very little space inside the little pod for passengers to sit and wait.

The designers also did not anticipate the unpredictability of today's airport "security" wait times, causing passengers to arrive hours ahead of their flight and then wait by their gate for much of that time. Now you have at least two flights worth of passengers waiting by the gate instead of just one.

They were actually quite forward thinking at the time but when those things were built in the 1960's the designers had absolutely no concept of the volume of travelers and planes that would pass through the airport 40 years later. Those "banjos" are somewhat efficient in getting passengers to the planes and fitting the planes into the space around the terminal, but there is very little space inside the little pod for passengers to sit and wait. And speaking as someone who travels often on Continental Express, it can get miserably crowded in there really fast. I welcome these changes as it will make Terminal B (and the real estate around it) a lot more efficient and passenger-friendly...Although I guess the parking situation over there is going to get a lot worse now with more passengers moving through.

One other thing about these particular banjos is that they are really small compared to other airports - maybe room for five 737's - they probably would have survived had they been bigger like these:

Newark

Charles De Gaulle (technically satellite terminals since the banjo necks are underground, I know)

Aren't the banjos at Newark used for the shorter commuter flights, like Continental Express at IAH?

The designers also did not anticipate the unpredictability of today's airport "security" wait times, causing passengers to arrive hours ahead of their flight and then wait by their gate for much of that time. Now you have at least two flights worth of passengers waiting by the gate instead of just one.

It was unfortunate for the airports that security requirements changed as traffic grew so much. Some of the great old terminals, like the Saarinen TWA at JFK became unusable.

One thing I've seen at several airports that can help relieve the security queues is that each departure gate is its own "sterile zone" with a metal detector at the door to the departure area. The concourse areas remain unsecured. Not only does it speed up the security process, but if there is a security incident the gate can be closed without necessarily shutting down the entire airport.

One thing I've seen at several airports that can help relieve the security queues is that each departure gate is its own "sterile zone" with a metal detector at the door to the departure area. The concourse areas remain unsecured. Not only does it speed up the security process, but if there is a security incident the gate can be closed without necessarily shutting down the entire airport.

Kansas City is one of the few airports that has this type of set up. It was done because there was virtually no other option, due to the terminal design. It works OK for origin/destination traffic, but is a real pain for connections. It's also very inconvenient if your flight in Kansas City is delayed, because you almost always have to leave the secured gate area to get to restaurants and shops, which means having to clear security again to enter the gate area. In fact, before renovations were completed a few years ago, you had to leave the secured gate area at Kansas City to even use the restroom.

Having separate security screening at each gate is not practical for a large hub airport, and it does not even work that well at airports like Kansas City, where there are relatively few connecting passengers.

Yeah, this is a great point. More passengers overall and more passengers just waiting and waiting at the gate.

Kansas City is one of the few airports that has this type of set up. It was done because there was virtually no other option, due to the terminal design. It works OK for origin/destination traffic, but is a real pain for connections. It's also very inconvenient if your flight in Kansas City is delayed, because you almost always have to leave the secured gate area to get to restaurants and shops, which means having to clear security again to enter the gate area. In fact, before renovations were completed a few years ago, you had to leave the secured gate area at Kansas City to even use the restroom.

Having separate security screening at each gate is not practical for a large hub airport, and it does not even work that well at airports like Kansas City, where there are relatively few connecting passengers.

I've never been to KC, but the secure gate setup seems to work fine at a number of large hubs such as Schiphol, Frankfurt, Gatwick, etc. Actually I think part of the idea is that they want you to spend less time hanging unprofitably around the gate, and more time shopping on the concourses.

I've never been to KC, but the secure gate setup seems to work fine at a number of large hubs such as Schiphol, Frankfurt, Gatwick, etc. Actually I think part of the idea is that they want you to spend less time hanging unprofitably around the gate, and more time shopping on the concourses.

I've flown through several of those European airports you mentioned. They are not set up anything like what exists in Kansas City. At Gatwick, for example, passengers still clear central security screening checkpoints for the primary security screening. There are very limited retail services near the gates, but most of the retail is still behind security in the duty-free mall areas. The security at the gate is not really a full security checkpoint (which is what KC has); instead, you're just going through a secondary check of your passport, boarding pass, etc. The only real difference between those European airports and what you see at most airports in the US is that the gate areas are very spartan, and you are not encouraged to head for the gate until shortly before departure. However, the primary waiting areas (the "malls") on the concourse are behind the primary security checkpoints.

• 1 month later...

What is the future outlook for IAH?

After traveling to DFW recently, I feel IAH could really use a facelift! The new TERMINAL D at DFW is beautiful and once again Dallas has one up on us.

IAH needs to pick up its game and start beautifying the airport and make a larger international presence.

I want IAH and Hobby to be the new bigger better ORD and Midway of Chicago....

The only thing that is going to make IAH have a larger "international presence" is for Houston to attract more international travelers, no matter what the airport itself looks like.

Quite right. And in that regard, IAH is beating the pants off DFW.

Here are the international passenger numbers for the first 4 months of 2008:

IAH: 2.7 Million, UP 7.2% from 2007

DFW: 1.7 Million, DOWN 0.8% from 2007

This topic nicely encapsulates what I believe is one of the biggest differences between Dallas and Houston. Dallas goes for the flash. Houston goes for the substance.

Edited by Houston19514