George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

I still advocate for a massive international airport that should be developed in the middle of the Texas Triangle to accommodate any and all commercial passenger flights that would otherwise go to DFW, DAL, IAH, HOU, AUS, and SAT. The facility should be served by vacuum-sealed maglev tubes that run directly between the airport and each of the major cities' central business districts. Only 30 minutes from the cores of our cities, this would comprise the world's busiest airport, would serve a region of 18 million people at a continental crossroads between Asia and Latin America, would necessarily serve as a hub to two or more airlines, and would be served by the newest, largest, and most efficient passenger aircraft.

At the confluence of operating efficiency, strategic geographic reach, and a competitive business environment, Texas would achieve low ticket prices that would offset the expense of the infrastructure. We would also shorten the effective distance between our major cities, bringing them closer together in terms of time and travel expense, and allowing for a new class of inter-city commuters and for the State of Texas to effectively market itself internationally as a tourist destination and a place to do business.

The existing airports would convert to air cargo and general aviation purposes, and on account of their proximity to the world's largest airport, they may be a suitable location for major repair and maintenance facilities or other aerospace-related business enterprises. And removing all this air traffic from our major cities would enhance our quality of life by removing air and noise pollution, by fostering an airport traffic pattern that takes people into downtown areas, and by allowing airport users better access to central-city transit options.

I'll leave you with a parting thought. What if Austin had Atlanta's airport, Dallas' jobs, San Antonio's history, Houston's food, and Galveston's beaches? What would its population be within a decade?

Pretty incredible vision, Niche. It would certainly more than rival Atlanta for flights and nonstop destinations. The tricky part is the cost of the tubes and riding them. If it's self-funding, I'm guessing it adds at least $100 per person round trip (and possibly much higher), which would more than wipe out the competition benefits. If it's subsidized, then the question is who's paying for it - the airport? (which will build it into ticket prices, see previous problem), the taxpayers? The cool part would be enabling intra-triangle high-speed travel at the same time as connecting the airport. Maybe the inter-city riders on that could cover the cost of making it cheap or free for fliers?

The same competition effect might be possible with just very high-speed rail/tubes between IAH and DFW, allowing local fliers to pick flights at either and forcing AA and UA to compete on "nonstop" service (assuming the tube ride is so fast as to be irrelevant and not really the same hassle as a connecting flight). It would exclude Austin and SAT, but still hit ~75% of the triangle population.

I asked them about that IAH terminal reorg at a recent HGAC event, and he said they've (wisely) scrapped that plan. Not only was it potentially astronomically expensive, unneeded, and would create massive parking jams with a single pickup and dropoff point (my main concern), but he said it would be almost impossible to do while keeping the airport actually running. They now see incremental terminal improvements and expansions for the foreseeable future.

The Hobby plan is way out of date now (2003!), and does not include the new international terminal.

http://www.fly2houst...ut-master-plans

Who is the "them" you asked? And who is the "he" who answered?

The plan always called for incremental improvements and expansions. So far, everything they have done is in accordance with the plan. (The possibility of a Terminal B FIS facility was not part of the Master Plan, but is not a huge departure from it.) There is nothing in the master plan that would be "almost impossible", or even particularly difficult, to do while keeping the airport running.

Further, the Hobby Master Plan (which was 2004, not 2003) indeed includes provision for the new international terminal. (Under "Terminal Area", Item 4 - West Concourse - "Could also include a new FIS Facility, if international flight be initiated". The West Concourse is where the new international gates and FIS Facility are being planned at Hobby.

Edited by Houston19514

Pretty incredible vision, Niche. It would certainly more than rival Atlanta for flights and nonstop destinations. The tricky part is the cost of the tubes and riding them. If it's self-funding, I'm guessing it adds at least $100 per person round trip (and possibly much higher), which would more than wipe out the competition benefits. If it's subsidized, then the question is who's paying for it - the airport? (which will build it into ticket prices, see previous problem), the taxpayers? The cool part would be enabling intra-triangle high-speed travel at the same time as connecting the airport. Maybe the inter-city riders on that could cover the cost of making it cheap or free for fliers?

The same competition effect might be possible with just very high-speed rail/tubes between IAH and DFW, allowing local fliers to pick flights at either and forcing AA and UA to compete on "nonstop" service (assuming the tube ride is so fast as to be irrelevant and not really the same hassle as a connecting flight). It would exclude Austin and SAT, but still hit ~75% of the triangle population.

Financing would comprise a mix of sources. Yes, airport fees are a part of the equation. They already exist, they exist at other airports, and they would exist at the proposed facility. They could be higher than most in order to capture some of the enhanced operating cost efficiencies for airlines; we should charge whatever the market will bear.

Some of the capital expenses should be recouped by selling off existing airport land to developers of commercial and industrial properties in order to facilitate air cargo operations. If the price is right, then perhaps one or two of the airports in Dallas or Houston could be redeveloped entirely, just like Miller Airport was in Austin.

What's left should be funded by a mix of federal, state, and local sources because goals that are compatible with each of the jurisdictions are being fulfilled. To that end, I think that the inclusion of Austin and San Antonio are politically necessary. The amount of government subsidy and the corresponding amount that has to be made up with user fees is something that would be difficult to speculate on without very precise studies that would confirm demand schedules and a profile of operating costs under different vehicle load characteristics.

Who is the "them" you asked? And who is the "he" who answered?

The plan always called for incremental improvements and expansions. So far, everything they have done is in accordance with the plan. (The possibility of a Terminal B FIS facility was not part of the Master Plan, but is not a huge departure from it.) There is nothing in the master plan that would be "almost impossible", or even particularly difficult, to do while keeping the airport running.

Further, the Hobby Master Plan (which was 2004, not 2003) indeed includes provision for the new international terminal. (Under "Terminal Area", Item 4 - West Concourse - "Could also include a new FIS Facility, if international flight be initiated". The West Concourse is where the new international gates and FIS Facility are being planned at Hobby.

Blanking on his name. A senior exec with HAS did a talk at H-GAC. Might have been Lance Lyttle.

http://www.fly2houston.com/0/3917577/0/0/

If you click on the IAH Master Plan brochure here you'll see the reconfigured terminal plan to look like ATL. That's what they've scrapped.

http://www.fly2houston.com/about-master-plans

I still advocate for a massive international airport that should be developed in the middle of the Texas Triangle to accommodate any and all commercial passenger flights that would otherwise go to DFW, DAL, IAH, HOU, AUS, and SAT. The facility should be served by vacuum-sealed maglev tubes ...

I'll leave you with a parting thought. What if Austin had Atlanta's airport, Dallas' jobs, San Antonio's history, Houston's food, and Galveston's beaches? What would its population be within a decade?

I'm sorry, The Niche, when you're taking it on the chin in that other thread for coming to the defense of the possibly-fake Asian landlord guy with the not-yet-finely-tuned sense of how, when, and, crucially, whether to invoke race -- but I'm going to drop the "envelope of politeness" (your locution) and slip into something more comfortable:

I detest your farfetched (Dallas voluntarily elects to shutter one of the busiest airports in the world?!) vision, and the attitude toward rural Texas implicit in it, and all in the service of making Austin grow and grow. Why would we want to do that?

Reading it made me unhappy in a wish-I-was-never-born kind of way, which only happens a few times a month.

But I wouldn't like to be accused of negativity for not proffering something else instead.

(Trying hard to think of my own vision, when actually I'm really super-excited about leaving things the way they are.)

Got it. Let's make the spaceport they're planning at Boca Chica, the one on the inholding in the refuge, a super-airport serving a reunified Texas and Mexico and ... the galaxy! Our ideas are about on par -- in fact, mine is a step or two closer to fruition.

I'm sorry, The Niche, when you're taking it on the chin in that other thread for coming to the defense of the possibly-fake Asian landlord guy with the not-yet-finely-tuned sense of how, when, and, crucially, whether to invoke race -- but I'm going to drop the "envelope of politeness" (your locution) and slip into something more comfortable:

I detest your farfetched (Dallas voluntarily elects to shutter one of the busiest airports in the world?!) vision, and the attitude toward rural Texas implicit in it, and all in the service of making Austin grow and grow. Why would we want to do that?

Reading it made me unhappy in a wish-I-was-never-born kind of way, which only happens a few times a month.

But I wouldn't like to be accused of negativity for not proffering something else instead.

(Trying hard to think of my own vision, when actually I'm really super-excited about leaving things the way they are.)

Got it. Let's make the spaceport they're planning at Boca Chica, the one on the inholding in the refuge, a super-airport serving a reunified Texas and Mexico and ... the galaxy! Our ideas are about on par -- in fact, mine is a step or two closer to fruition.

Regarding the landlord's inferred race and inferred racism, I think that I've handled myself well and I feel sorry for people that lack empathy for people that mean well but just don't know any better.

Regarding the airport, the obvious candidate for a location would be within striking distance of the Bryan/College Station area. If you know Aggies like I know Aggies, then you know that they would welcome the idea. They'd promote the hell out of it.

Regarding Austin, that which I knew and once loved is ruined as far as I am concerned, a playground for north Texans and a vast diaspora of douchebaggery. There's nothing left that is special that can be lost, however there is something to be gained for places like Houston and San Antonio. Our douchebags would go and live there, not here. It would be a sort of Zion for them, and good riddance.

I think TheNiche's idea is very interesting, but in the here and now, a new airline has recently announced service from IAH to Mazatlan, Mexico (which is losing United service in about a month). It's called Cal Jet Air, and it will commence service January 11, 2013. I can't tell if it's a regularly scheduled charter or a proper commercial service, but it looks at least somewhat legitimate. With this airline and Turkish Airlines starting in April, that will bring the total number of airlines serving IAH to 21. Pretty impressive.

http://www.caljetair.com/houston.htm

Blanking on his name. A senior exec with HAS did a talk at H-GAC. Might have been Lance Lyttle.

http://www.fly2houst.../0/3917577/0/0/

If you click on the IAH Master Plan brochure here you'll see the reconfigured terminal plan to look like ATL. That's what they've scrapped.

I am very familiar with the master plan. They have done nothing so far and have nothing planned that is contrary to the master plan. From your reporting, it sounds like the speaker didn't really know what he was talking about. (He seemed to be under the impression that the master plan called for an all-at-once rebuild of the entire terminal complex... that was simply never the plan.)

Regarding Austin, that which I knew and once loved is ruined as far as I am concerned, a playground for north Texans and a vast diaspora of douchebaggery. There's nothing left that is special that can be lost, however there is something to be gained for places like Houston and San Antonio. Our douchebags would go and live there, not here. It would be a sort of Zion for them, and good riddance.

Replying in Way Off Topic.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all of this, I'm wishing for a "Don't Like This" button.

I like Niche's idea. Why can't we be visionaries anymore? Hong Kong built an airport on a island... custom built and surrounded by mountains, and then connected it with a new highway and bridges that cost billions alone. Are you really telling me Texas couldn't do something just as awesome? Come on man! Show some pride!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.fly2houst.../0/3917577/0/0/

Houston19514, this is the presentation I was talking about:

"New IAH Master Plan Report to be complete by December 2013. Old master plan from 2006 to mirror ATL terminal setup has been "Thrown in the trash". Not feasible, estimated at 20 billion."

Houston19514, this is the presentation I was talking about:

"New IAH Master Plan Report to be complete by December 2013. Old master plan from 2006 to mirror ATL terminal setup has been "Thrown in the trash". Not feasible, estimated at 20 billion."

Thanks. Interesting presentation. The current master plan was based on a forecast of traffic doubling in 20 years. Apparently, that is no longer the expectation.

Edited by Houston19514

• 1 month later...

And here's the press release:

Air China Continues Expansion in North America with

New Nonstop Houston-Beijing Service

HOUSTON (January 15, 2013)—Dr. Zhihang Chi, Air China’s Vice President and General Manager for North America, announced Air China’s new nonstop service between Houston and Beijing, pending government approval, in a joint press conference with the Houston Airport System today.

“With its vibrant business communities and fast-growing diverse population, Houston is a perfect choice for an additional gateway for Air China. It offers the most convenient connections to China and beyond for our passengers from Texas and other neighboring states,” Dr. Chi stated.

Houston Mayor Annise Parker welcomed the news.

“Houston is honored to be the newest global gateway for Air China as our international growth depends on strong relationships worldwide,” said Mayor Annise Parker. “This new direct route to China will ensure our success in growing the Texas regional economy and strengthen the global ties to our trade partners in China.”

Consul General Erwen Xu also applauded Air China’s new flight to Houston. Madame Xu, China’s 12th Consul General in Houston, said at the press conference, “Houston has always played an important role in China-U.S. relations. In 1979, Houston was one of the stops of China’s late leader Deng Xiaoping’s historic visit to the U.S. In the same year, it became the host city of China’s very first Consulate General in the U.S. The nonstop flight between Houston and Beijing, as dreamed by many people for many years, will not only shorten the distance between Houston and China, but also help expand future cooperation between the southern part of the U.S. and China, and help foster stronger ties between our two great countries.”

Air China, China’s exclusive national flag carrier, is scheduled to operate the round-trip Beijing to Houston route on a new generation Boeing 777-300ER beginning Thursday, July 11, 2013, pending approval from the United States Department of Transportation. By selecting Houston, Air China will benefit from a strong international community with many business and leisure passengers who use Intercontinental as a global gateway.

“We’ve seen a steady growth of air travel between Houston and China in recent years, and now it will become the first scheduled passenger destination in the U.S. that we’ve added in three decades. We look forward to serving Houston and facilitating stronger ties between China and the United States,” Mr. Jianjiang Cai, Air China’s President and Executive Director, said.

Air China will operate at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) fromTerminal D, which is the gateway for all foreign flag carriers into the fourth largest city in the United States. Houston is a leader in the Americas for excellent facilitation of international visitors in a state-of-the-art Federal Inspection Services facility.

“We offer a Texas-sized welcome to Air China on the new flights to Bush Intercontinental that offer the Lone Star State a direct connection to China,” said Mario C. Diaz, Director of Aviation for the Houston Airport System. “As a critical economic driver for Houston, this new route will result in tremendous benefits to the region.”

Starting with four flights a week, the nonstop flight will depart from Beijing at 3 p.m. and land in Houston on the same day at 3:30 p.m. Outbound, it is scheduled to leave Houston at 1:40 a.m. the next day, arriving at Beijing Capital International Airport at 5 a.m. the following day.

Houston will be Air China’s fifth gateway in North America in addition to New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Vancouver. China’s national flag carrier continues its investment in the Americas with new nonstop services, product upgrades and increase in flight frequencies. On March 31, 2013, the New York-Beijing flight will increase from 7 to 11 per week. As well, the aircraft for this route will be upgraded to B777-300ER. The Los Angeles-Beijing service, which uses the B777-300ER, will resume its double daily flights on March 31, 2013. Vancouver-Beijing is scheduled to increase from 7 to 11 flights per week on May 17, 2013. A bigger B747-400 full-passenger aircraft will be used for the San Francisco-Beijing daily operation beginning March 31, 2013.

Awesome news. It seems that while United is cutting routes at IAH, other carriers are stepping in with exciting new ones. IST and PEK will be great additions to the IAH route map this year.

Edited by asubrt

I was doing some research online today, and who would have thought that United's plan to back out would help us. There are multiple rumors that both Air France and British Airways are seriously looking into bringing A380s into IAH. It seems perfect because IAH is expanding and remodeling terminal D. Also less than a week ago Emirates CEO was quoted talking about bringing A380s to Houston, "the economics of Houston are very powerful. That would be an extremely attractive proposition."

• Like 1

I've thought this all along. Back when United was throwing their temper tantrum about Southwest getting to fly international from Hobby - I argued pretty much the same thing.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/26255-hobby-airport-going-international-swa-will-pay-100m-for-airport-expansion/page__st__90

United pulling back from their dominant position isn't going to hurt Houston. Only themselves. For years, IAH had little new routes and some of the highest prices in the country when Continental was here. But most people were OK with that - sort of a benevolent dictator sort of arrangement, because in the grand scheme of things, Continental was a good corporate citizen, seemed to care about Houston, and had generally decent service.

Then when the merger happened, everything changed. The integration was massively flubbed. Service has gone in the toilet. Houston flyers (and citizens in general) feel dumped on by United, whether justified or not - and in return United still want to charge monopolistic prices?

So when United pulled back and/or failed to expand to obvious routes to "punish" Houston - there are plenty of other carriers who will not hesitate to come in now - there is a HUGE opening. Make money - pick off the disgruntled first and business class flyers (who are the ones United is really ticking off) establish a presence in one of the few growing markets for the last several years in N.America. What's to lose for the new carriers?

And what's to lose for Houston? It's now longer a second-rate city dependent upon the generosity of it's hometown airline to fly people around and having to bend over and say thank you for every morsel offered no matter what the conditions/price. Businesses actually want to fly there people to/from Houston frequently and at good prices - other carriers see this and are offering the service. Hobby just set a record for most people last year - first time over 10 million. IAH continues to grow and grow internationally. The more carriers that offer flights, the better as prices will come down over time since United/Continental is no longer the only game in town and Houston won't be their cash cow anymore. It will still be a very important piece, but I think the barn door is already open - United will never have the dominance that Continental did. I think over time - other carriers will grow their operations and more will be attracted. There is just too much money to be made here.

LOL at the news coming out of Chicago yesterday. A suit has been filed a suit against United Continental Holdings. The city is claiming the airline has a ghost office located outside of Cook County simply to avoid paying jet fuel taxes.

Since United began "downsizing" IAH and adding flights in ORD, DEN, SFO, etc... we've seen Spirit enter the market with flights to DFW, Chicago, Las Vegas, and Orlando. Turkish and China Airlines are coming to town. American has added flights to Miami and DFW and will begin nonstop service to JFK. And Southwest has been growing steadily.

I was doing some research online today, and who would have thought that United's plan to back out would help us. There are multiple rumors that both Air France and British Airways are seriously looking into bringing A380s into IAH. It seems perfect because IAH is expanding and remodeling terminal D. Also less than a week ago Emirates CEO was quoted talking about bringing A380s to Houston, "the economics of Houston are very powerful. That would be an extremely attractive proposition."

The next major terminal development needs to be Terminal D so that there is the ability to handle several A380's at a time. Not to mention adding duty free, concessions, bathrooms, lounges and aesthesis befitting of a major international gateway. Terminal D is down-right embarrassing.

Edited by urban909

LOL at the news coming out of Chicago yesterday. A suit has been filed a suit against United Continental Holdings. The city is claiming the airline has a ghost office located outside of Cook County simply to avoid paying jet fuel taxes.

Since United began "downsizing" IAH and adding flights in ORD, DEN, SFO, etc... we've seen Spirit enter the market with flights to DFW, Chicago, Las Vegas, and Orlando. Turkish and China Airlines are coming to town. American has added flights to Miami and DFW and will begin nonstop service to JFK. And Southwest has been growing steadily.

Not just IAH, United seems to be downsizing everywhere. Ditto for American.

I saw an AA billboard yesterday touting 300+ destinations. Then I remembered this thread and China Air offering 1,300+. UA, AA, and the other American airlines should be ashamed.

There's no way Air China has 1,300 destinations. United is (I think) #1 in the world with around 375 or so, followed by by Delta and American. Air China has less than 150. That number might be counting all of Star Alliance, that's the only way I could think of them coming up with a number that high.

I saw that and started thinking that Illinois must have strange sales tax laws. In Texas, you pay the tax based on where you use the goods, or where they are delivered. Not where the office happens to be. You could have your office in Wink, and still pay Harris county tax on deliveries to IAH.

I LOL'd at that too. Damn, that Chicago HQ choice sure is paying off (not).

• Like 1

Not just IAH, United seems to be downsizing everywhere. Ditto for American.

I saw an AA billboard yesterday touting 300+ destinations. Then I remembered this thread and China Air offering 1,300+. UA, AA, and the other American airlines should be ashamed.

China Air (actually known as Air China) serves 1,300 destinations? Where did you come up with that? What happened to our Editor who told us he doesn't accept claims touted by others unless he has independent knowledge of the facts claimed? ;-)

And, even if the highly unlikely factoid of 1,300 destinations was true, why would or should that cause shame for any other airline?

• 3 weeks later...

New press release:

AIR CHINA’S HOUSTON-BEIJING SERVICE NOW READY FOR BOOKING

Following approval from the U.S. Department of Transportation, fares for Air China’s Houston-Beijing flights are now available on the Global Distribution System

Business and leisure travelers can now book their trip to Beijing and beyond from Houston. Scheduled to start on July 11, 2013, Air China’s new service between Houston and Beijing was approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation on January 17, 2013.

“The speed that the United States Department of Transportation approved this new route speaks a great deal of the value of the Beijing to Houston connection. Our 30-year partnership with China is a strong foundation to build Air China’s new route to Beijing, which enhances the business opportunities of more than 500 Houston enterprises that today work closely with China,” said Houston Mayor Annise Parker.

Starting with four flights a week, the nonstop flight is scheduled to depart Beijing at 3:00 p.m. local time and arrives at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) the same day at 3:40 p.m. local time. For the outbound departure, the Air China flight is scheduled to depart Houston at 1:30 a.m. the next day, arriving at Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) at 5:00 a.m. the following day.

As the only airline with nonstop service from Houston and the south central region of the United States, Air China’s convenient connections to Beijing, other fascinating cities in China and Asia offer travelers the most time-efficient way of reaching their destinations.

“Using the new-generation fuel-efficient Boeing 777-300ER for the Houston-Beijing route provides our guests the maximum comfort on a long-haul flight. I’m sure our premium passengers will appreciate their luxury suites in the Forbidden Pavilion (first class) and the full-flat bed seats in the Capital Pavilion (business class). Our guests in the economy cabin will certainly enjoy the individual TV screens and in-seat audio-video on demand (AVOD),” Dr. Zhihang Chi, Air China’s Vice President and General Manager for North America, stated.

Houston Airport System is moving forward on its intended plan of scheduled improvements to Terminal D to enhance the customer experience for international travelers. Houston continues to serve as a role model for other airports in its innovation in excellent facilitation of international visitors in a state-of-the-art Federal Inspection Services facility.

“The impact of this new service for Intercontinental Airport can be measured with 1,200 new passenger seats each week and more than 400,000 seats in the annual capacity for direct service to Beijing with Houston as the new global gateway to mainland China,” said Mario C. Diaz, director of the Houston Airport System. “As the Houston Airport System celebrates the addition of Air China’s operations, we are confident the international community will embrace this new direct route to the Far East and we are hopeful to see it strengthen the business and cultural ties that already exist between our two great cities.”

Houston will be Air China’s fifth gateway in North America in addition to New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Vancouver. China’s national flag carrier continues its investment in the Americas with new nonstop services, product upgrades and increase in flight frequencies.

China Air (actually known as Air China) serves 1,300 destinations? Where did you come up with that? What happened to our Editor who told us he doesn't accept claims touted by others unless he has independent knowledge of the facts claimed? ;-)

And, even if the highly unlikely factoid of 1,300 destinations was true, why would or should that cause shame for any other airline?

Perhaps I was venting a little of my personal frustration.  I've spent too much time in the last couple of months screwing around with UA and AA's booking systems trying to put together flights.  Far too often I've been given the message on their web sites stating that they simply can't get me where I needed to go.  I ended up having to turn down a contract because it simply wasn't possible to do the trip I needed to do without having 27-hour layovers, leaving or arriving in the middle of the night, changing airports mid-route, or worse.  And a bunch of routes that used to be super-easy one- or two-hop flights on AA, UA, or their partners are now no longer served, or down to one or two flights a day.  I'm fairly disgusted with the general state of civil aviation.

they must have been claiming that number with Star Alliance as a whole. From airchina.com:

As of December 31, 2011, Air China (including holding companies) owns 432 Boeing and Airbus aircraft, with an average age of 6.77 years; operates a total of 282 passenger flight routes, including 71 international routes, 14 regional routes, and 197 domestic routes covering 30 countries and regions worldwide connecting 143 cities, including 43 international cities, 96 domestic cities and four regions. In cooperation with Star Alliance member airlines, its service network is further extended to 1,160 destinations in 181 countries.

• 1 month later...