George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

I'm unclear on the plan... are they going to build an additional international terminal in addition to this renovation? Because they are only increasing the gates from 12 to 15, which doesn't seem like enough.

I don't think there is any plan for an additional terminal in addition to this renovation at least in the near term.  Hopefully, it is planned for easy expansion.

Note that the proposed plan is for 15 wide-body gates.   While we currently have 12 (13?) gates, we cannot currently handle 12 wide-bodies.  I think we can currently accommodate perhaps 7 wide-bodies at one time.

I love how big of a deal everyone makes over preliminary stuff on this forum!  You guys (I know everyone is excited and loves to see Houston construction updates/proposals etc.  So do I!) but just relax a minute or two and wait to see what the actual renderings will be when they are formally announced as the "X Y Z Terminal at George Bush Intercontinental Airport" at a later date.

My best guess of the two we can see - the first one is the terminus of on wing of the new terminal.  The other rendering is of a commons area for waiting passengers.

And my guess would be that if Terminal D is to be replaced, they would probably add 4-6 new gates to the original size of that old terminal.  So we would be looking at what?  14-16 or so gates?  About in line with what the worlds busiest in Atlanta did.  Terminal F there has 14 gates.

Edited by arche_757

Part 1

Part 2

Details

-15 wide body gates including 4 A380 gates (2 airlines currently in discussion with bringing A380 to IAH)

- new terminal to replace existing terminal D and northern pier of terminal C

- project to be completed in 6 phases

- anticipated groundbreaking Summer 2015

- completion in 2021

• Like 1

Ok so it's a "new terminal", but it's in the same place as Terminal D (and part of C), and Terminal D will remain operational while it is being built in different phases. I didn't realize that Terminal F in Atlanta only had 14 gates, so I guess 15 is plenty if they are all widebody gates. I've heard that when all the European carriers are in during the afternoon D is basically at capacity, but if we can only accommodate 7 widebodies at once, then that explains it.

As for the 2 airlines discussing the A380, I would guess Emirates (almost certainly) and British Airways.

• Like 1

^   Yes, I mis-typed in my earlier post when I referred to it as a renovation (and now it won't let me edit).  This is almost entirely new construction.

The renderings look great!    Mario (the HAS Director) has been so great for Houston's airports.  If one watches the linked videos one can see he understands how to do great airport facilities in ways that no previous Houston airport director or employee has apparently understood.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

How great very nice looking.  Air France also wants to fly the Airbus 380 but there are 4 other carriers that want to expand here.  I'm waiting when Terminal B north concourse starts with UAX flights and United Airlines new gates at Terminal B that will connect to Terminal C.  With another 53 787 planes coming they need to park somewhere.  The Airbus 350-100 will be based in SFO.  

That is an amazingly lengthy timeline!  6 years!  7 total to completion from today!

I'm always amazed at airport planning.  The overall masterplans are quite in keeping with forecasted growth, the individual projects that make it to fruition are not.  So this terminal will basically be large enough to handle the current capacity when its done in 7 years!  Not to mention the fact there may be additional carriers working out of IAH at that time (adding need for additional capacity).

But like someone else pointed out, I'll let Mario who runs the show (and his team) work on the logistics/costs/projections and just assume they must know what they are doing.

That is an amazingly lengthy timeline! 6 years! 7 total to completion from today!

I'm always amazed at airport planning. The overall masterplans are quite in keeping with forecasted growth, the individual projects that make it to fruition are not. So this terminal will basically be large enough to handle the current capacity when its done in 7 years! Not to mention the fact there may be additional carriers working out of IAH at that time (adding need for additional capacity).

But like someone else pointed out, I'll let Mario who runs the show (and his team) work on the logistics/costs/projections and just assume they must know what they are doing.

I think they are taking into account that Hobby is getting 5 gates(which I doubt are wide-body) so IAH might as well just cater to the big, long distance flights hence the upgrades(and addition of 1 to 15?) to all wide-body and A380 gates. I'll admit I don't have extensive knowledge, but given what I've read/heard about the Houston Airport Systems work with Southwest on taking Hobby International and their continued efforts to get Ellington certified as a spaceport I am cautiously optimistic that they will do a great job with United rebuilding IAH into a world class airport. This will only strengthen Houston's economic vitality in the future! I've seen optimistic projections that Houston should keep chugging along at a healthy clip until at least 2020 so hopefully whatever great plans they have come to full fruition. :]

Hobby serves just Southwest.. currently.

IAH's new international terminal will presumably NOT serve much of United's int'l traffic out of Houston (I didn't watch the videos).  It seems it will replace Terminal D and serve as the gates for BA, Lufthansa, KLM/Air France (one airline now), Singapore, Korean, Emirates, Qatar, Turkish, China and maybe some of the Mexican airlines?  Air Canada flies out of A or B in express jets only - and only to Toronto (and maybe Calgary).  I would expect they might expand service to include larger 737s at some point but who knows?

United flies out of whichever gates at Terminals C & E can handle wide-bodied aircraft.  777s and 767s routinely dock at Terminal C and I've flown international out of E on United.  I assume the long range plans are for United to build a new Terminal C with more capacity for larger aircraft (like E) and more gates in longer/more linear terminals - but I'm just talking and haven't a clue.

Good to see them expanding here rather than contracting (which I figured they wouldn't).  If anything Denver would be the major airport to see service contraction.  Lack of population and increased range from small bodied planes seems to make that stop (as a HUGE airport) less practical.  Of course Denver serves a touristee area during ski season.

United IAH is the largest hub. It can still grow at IAH. Even though the headquarters of 250 people moved to Chicago. They will make IAH their network with the 787 planes and are committed to build the Terminal B North Concourse. WN with 5 gates at Hobby will not effect United position since they have 30 gates right now. WN will not start flying till 2016. They are looking for the leisure travelers that want to go to CUN, SJD, CZM and so on. United will announce more flights from IAH as they receive more 787.

SWA won't really affect UA at IAH.  Some fares will change to places like Cozumel, Cancun etc but that's good.  United still flies further and to many different other airports than SWA.  Besides that United really needn't worry about SWA until that airlines starts ordering wide-bodied planes... AA up north still flies to more Latin American destinations than any other airline - that's the primary competition (of course AA is always seemingly in bankruptcy!)

I still think its odd that IAH just doesn't go ahead and build a big new terminal over there near that east/west runway and those dumpy looking world flags statues and be done with it.  Build new.  Tear down/renovate Terminal D into United's widebody/int'l gates and be done with it.  Instead they're dragging out the process 7 years and not greatly expanding anything in the interim.  Seems like it will be a lot of headache for international passengers on other airlines out of IAH?

Please access fly2houston.com and click Terminal B and the information is there what United is planning. The United and the city are now talking when to start the new terminal B north. WN will most likely have widebodies since they do not have first class. I checked flying from Chicago to Cancun and AirTran was $480.22 and United was $427.33 in late April. Wow $113.23 in taxes!

They have old planes.

Yeah I looked it up.  Seems odd that SWA wouldn't work, but I guess they need a two-digit code?  Still really odd.  And since this isn't an aviation forum perhaps we should drop some of the formal names since its confusing?

That said, I don't think I see SWA using widebody aircraft unless it explores flying international (eg: Europe/Asia/South America) beyond what it is able to do with the current nextgen 737s.  Doesn't seem like they would start now after all these years of using the 737s.  Besides that, they're the largest and most profitable airline in the country (presumably one of the top 3-4 in the world?) and have done quite well just being what they are - a "low cost" airline that flies to a lot of cities.

It is good to see the work moving from proposed to planned to under construction.  IAH is a decent enough airport, but there are parts of it that need work.

SWA won't really affect UA at IAH.  Some fares will change to places like Cozumel, Cancun etc but that's good.  United still flies further and to many different other airports than SWA.  Besides that United really needn't worry about SWA until that airlines starts ordering wide-bodied planes... AA up north still flies to more Latin American destinations than any other airline - that's the primary competition (of course AA is always seemingly in bankruptcy!)

I still think its odd that IAH just doesn't go ahead and build a big new terminal over there near that east/west runway and those dumpy looking world flags statues and be done with it.  Build new.  Tear down/renovate Terminal D into United's widebody/int'l gates and be done with it.  Instead they're dragging out the process 7 years and not greatly expanding anything in the interim.  Seems like it will be a lot of headache for international passengers on other airlines out of IAH?

It will affect UA a LOT regarding Latin America. Southwest is planning to hit South America eventually which will hurt United, particularly to Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador, and Colombia.

Southwest can't fly to Brazil, Chile or Argentina with the current crop of airliners they have.  Nor would anyone want to have a 6-9 hour flight in one of their 737s!  I wouldn't!

SWA flying from 5 gates to Central America from one airport won't be a huge blow to United.  SWA flying from: Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa etc. to Latin America would be a problem.

And yes - I figured Emirates (or some other such government owned airline) was the wealthiest.   Southwest must be among the top private airlines though.  No doubt.  And Dubai's airport is amazing.  Never been, but the expansive terminal and the ability to almost accomodate any widebody at nearly every gate is impressive.  Not that I ever have an interest in flying over there (don't like hot/dry weather).

Southwest does have cargo.  And they do have some older planes.  United flies a lot of newer aircraft compared to most of the other legacy carriers in the US.  Quality, but that's from Continental and not the old United.  SWA is investing in the nextGEN 737s (I think they are the launch customer).  So they'll be getting a new fleet of planes and are currently buying planes from Boeing at a more continual rate than any other US airlines (at least last time I looked at the numbers in Airliner world).