George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

If you're into a name change, perhaps Terminal E could be named after someone? A friend an I tried to start a petition to rename it the Mayor Lee P. Brown Terminal but it didn't catch on...

I remember his critics called him "Out of Town Brown". Going out of town via the out of town Brown terminal, heh, that's funny. I have nothing against Brown, I've met him and he seems like a nice person and I think he was a good mayor, but if Terminal E is going to be named, Capt. A.J. High, who passed a month ago, would be a better contender. Capt. High was a WWII vet, flew for Trans Texas Airways/Texas International Airways and Continental, and landed the first official flight to IAH in 1969. I think those credentials merit some recognition at IAH.

Looks like this thread has deviated from its airway. A little aviation humor for you. ^_^

• Like 1

I remember his critics called him "Out of Town Brown". Going out of town via the out of town Brown terminal, heh, that's funny.

That's hilarious. In the same vein, Austin should name one of it's terminals after Perry.

I remember his critics called him "Out of Town Brown". Going out of town via the out of town Brown terminal, heh, that's funny.

That's hilarious. In the same vein, Austin should name one of it's terminals after Perry.

Or at least one of the terminal busses... "Perry Ferry"?

Very interesting, I love following airport upgrade projects, lol. 

I was wondering if they were ever going to cover the walkway from the parking garage to Hobby?  They had a cover on it but removed it a few years ago and haven't put it back. 

I just flew from STL and saw the Terminal B.  It was very nice,  they said the north concourse with start next year with 40 gates for wide body planes.  And also connect it to Terminal C.  United  has 610 departures a day and I was told they will fly the IAH to AKL next year.  Can anyone guess how departures Southwest (WN) has from Hobby?  

I just flew from STL and saw the Terminal B.  It was very nice,  they said the north concourse with start next year with 40 gates for wide body planes.  And also connect it to Terminal C.  United  has 610 departures a day and I was told they will fly the IAH to AKL next year.  Can anyone guess how departures Southwest (WN) has from Hobby?  

This is absolutely not true. The new portion of Terminal B is not open yet. I was there yesterday and tried to check out the new portion because I thought it was supposed to open May 1. After walking all around and eventually asking some employees, it turns out the new portion is not open and there is no date for when it will officially open. The current terminal B is a total hole. The amount of people sitting on the floor in the long banjo hallways was astounding. And the north part was never going to house wide bodies. Don't come in here and spread lies. And obviously Southwest has fewer departures than IAH does, but their growth in Houston has been astronomical compared to United's over the past few years.

This is absolutely not true. The new portion of Terminal B is not open yet. I was there yesterday and tried to check out the new portion because I thought it was supposed to open May 1. After walking all around and eventually asking some employees, it turns out the new portion is not open and there is no date for when it will officially open. The current terminal B is a total hole. The amount of people sitting on the floor in the long banjo hallways was astounding. And the north part was never going to house wide bodies. Don't come in here and spread lies. And obviously Southwest has fewer departures than IAH does, but their growth in Houston has been astronomical compared to United's over the past few years.

Actually the North side is going to handle mainline flights.

I'm here right now at the UA Club getting ready to fly.  They have 5 gates operating.  15 later this month.  It is different because you go to the gate, then walk outside to this ramp to board the plane.  They don't have jet ways.  The gate agent said it can a lot faster when they leave to take off.  United has 4,238 weekly departures and WN has 890.  I think you went to the wrong side of the terminal. :mellow:  

Well I must have just gotten screwed by coming on the last day before it opened (not to mention having to cancel a Jeopardy audition because of a 4 hour flight delay). That's too bad, I was looking forward to checking it out. Congrats to you for being there on the first day it was open, that's pretty cool.

Actually the North side is going to handle mainline flights.

Yes, but mainline and widebody are not the same thing, and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to have 777s flying out of Terminal B. Who knows though, maybe they'll change the plans.

I'm here right now at the UA Club getting ready to fly. They have 5 gates operating. 15 later this month. It is different because you go to the gate, then walk outside to this ramp to board the plane. They don't have jet ways. The gate agent said it can a lot faster when they leave to take off. United has 4,238 weekly departures and WN has 890. I think you went to the wrong side of the terminal. :mellow:

I bet the north side will be better. I think that is when we will see expansion out of IAH.

Yes, but mainline and widebody are not the same thing, and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to have 777s flying out of Terminal B. Who knows though, maybe they'll change the plans.

True, In  a rendering on a video, I saw 737s and 757s so you could be right.

Just got back and landing at Terminal A.  So the south side of B is still not complete.  The north side I was told when it is done if for mainline flights.  787,777,767,737.  Once they get more 787's they will announce brand new destinations.  I'm very excited, I LUV Southwest but I have to fly in first class.  I almost get my free upgrades on my flights.  I'm so happy United is getting the brand new Embraer 175 that seats 100 passengers.  I hate the 50 seat ones they have.  Go to united.com and click united hub underneath where you sig in into your account.  Click currents news and see the brand new planes.  You can fly a lot more information for all the airlines on flyertalk.com.  

Just got back and landing at Terminal A.  So the south side of B is still not complete.  The north side I was told when it is done if for mainline flights.  787,777,767,737.  Once they get more 787's they will announce brand new destinations.  I'm very excited, I LUV Southwest but I have to fly in first class.  I almost get my free upgrades on my flights.  I'm so happy United is getting the brand new Embraer 175 that seats 100 passengers.  I hate the 50 seat ones they have.  Go to united.com and click united hub underneath where you sig in into your account.  Click currents news and see the brand new planes.  You can fly a lot more information for all the airlines on flyertalk.com.  

Good news!!

• 2 months later...

The city and United Airlines have started construction of the north side of terminal B. They are tearing down the rest of those bridges that go to the gates.. The north concourse will be mostly for mainline wide body planes and will be connected to terminal C. IAH is also putting new signs so there will lots of road closers. So if you are flying out this week get there earlier than usual. This new concourse will add additional 25 gates for United and the old concourse will finally be gone!