George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

Yes, it is for mainline flights. One finger towards Terminal A will also have gates for UAX as the south terminal. I was wrong there will be a total of 40 gates. The reason they do not have jetways is they can pull the plane out quickly then waiting 10 minutes to make sure they are clear. Singapore airport has the same design for SilkAir. Which is like UAX to smaller cities. They are also building another taxiway just for the wide bodies. And sprucing up Terminal D and added more gates. Great for Houston!

The city and United Airlines have started construction of the north side of terminal B. They are tearing down the rest of those bridges that go to the gates.. The north concourse will be mostly for mainline wide body planes and will be connected to terminal C. IAH is also putting new signs so there will lots of road closers. So if you are flying out this week get there earlier than usual. This new concourse will add additional 25 gates for United and the old concourse will finally be gone!

Whoahh there.  I think we need a fact check.  The bridge that was town down over the past weekend  was the remaining south-side bridge to the original flight stations.  Nothing is happening yet on the north side of Terminal B.

• Like 1

Do we expect to have reno of Term B completed by 2017? 

Very unlikely.  The whole project consists of three phases, intended to be completed over a period of 7 - 10 years, depending on demand.  Even a 7-year completion schedule would not have it done by 2017.  Plus, there is the question about how long United will continue it's temper tantrum over having to endure competition in Houston...  (They have threatened to not proceed with further phases of the Terminal B project.)

Edited by Houston19514

I accessed the power point section. There are three phases. Phase 2 will start next year with gates for mainline flights connected to Terminal C. All three phases will be completed by 2017. United is IAH largest hub, this will even increase it more now with 65 gates and another 40. I have never seen an airline with more than 100 gates. Maybe Delta in Atlanta.

I accessed the power point section. There are three phases. Phase 2 will start next year with gates for mainline flights connected to Terminal C. All three phases will be completed by 2017. United is IAH largest hub, this will even increase it more now with 65 gates and another 40. I have never seen an airline with more than 100 gates. Maybe Delta in Atlanta.

Dude, get your facts straight.  The Power Point says nothing about completing all three phases by 2017.  In fact, it  states that the final phase (phase 3) construction must start no later than December 31, 2017.   The Power Point also does not say anything about Phase 2 starting in 2014.   There have been some hints that Phase 2 will start next year, but it depends on whether United is done with their temper tantrum.

You can access the PowerPoint presentation here.

Edited by Houston19514

Dude, get your facts straight.  The Power Point says nothing about completing all three phases by 2017.  In fact, it  states that the final phase (phase 3) construction must start no later than December 31, 2017.   The Power Point also does not say anything about Phase 2 starting in 2014.   There have been some hints that Phase 2 will start next year, but it depends on whether United is done with their temper tantrum.

You can access the PowerPoint presentation here.

I'm pretty sure he just makes up things re: IAH and posts them here. A few months ago he claimed that he flew out of the new terminal B section even though it didn't open for another month. Right now all that's happening is the south part of the terminal. Hopefully the north side gets going soon but there hasn't been any evidence that that's going to happen.

• Like 2

Very unlikely.  The whole project consists of three phases, intended to be completed over a period of 7 - 10 years, depending on demand.  Even a 7-year completion schedule would not have it done by 2017.  Plus, there is the question about how long United will continue it's temper tantrum over having to endure competition in Houston...  (They have threatened to not proceed with further phases of the Terminal B project.)

I went to the meeting at Hobby Marriott about Southwest wanting international service. United's arguments were hilarious.

Listen coach travelers. The bonds have already been issued. Southwest Airlines 5 gates at Hobby! How funny and you think Delta, Jet Blue, American, United will allow them to get their market share? PLEASE post in in 2016 to see what happens.

We'll see. Southwest is aiming for South America. That will hurt united for sure.

Slick Vick I would like to meet you. You are funny. I'm flying out tomorrow to LAS. Be back on 14th. I'm sorry but I love United Airlines. :) I got my upgrade!

Ok

You'd better, IAH is UA's latin America Gateway, UA could be waiting for WN to announce the routes they are gonna fly out of HOU to Latin America, for all we know.

If UA intended to compete for Houston travelers they shouldn't have made those routes from Houston the most expensive in the country post merger.

WN will not lower fares. In Mexico alone there are over $100 in taxes. The DOT fined WN for that so called $64 each way fare, but release very few seats. So they got fined for misleading the public. If they lower fares to Latin America they will just loose money. The question is how long can they lose money? Plus United, American, and Delta. Along with Lanca, Taca, and Copa already have a strong hold on the market. When JetBlue starting flying form EWR to Florida for $54 each way. Back then Continental matched it and added more flights. JetBlue cut capacity because they losing money, and are now concentrating on JFK and BOS. Plus they adding flat bed seats on transcontinental flights and squeezing customers in the back.

• 2 months later...

Here is a reply from United to me:

Hello Steven,

Stephanie Buchanan asked me to respond on her behalf.

We can’t speculate on possible new routes, but as with all of our hubs, future growth at IAH is based on demand.

IAH Terminal B is dedicated to our United Express regional operation and the renovation enables us to offer United Express travelers an airport experience consistent with that offered in United’s Terminals C and E at IAH. More information about the project is available in the news release we issued when we opened the new Terminal B South Concourse. (Link below.)

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=83680&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1806768&highli

As you may already know, United operates nearly 600 daily flights from IAH to 116 airports across the U.S. and 65 international destinations.

• 4 months later...

Discussions have begun with United and the foreign flag carriers at IAH to begin design and cosntruction of a completely new terminal to replace existing Terminal D.  This was announced today at the State of the Airports presentation at the Greater Houston Partnership luncheon by City of Houston Aviation Director Mario Diaz. The vision for the project will be announced at another event this evening hosted by HAS.  Specific details of the new terminal will be presented at next year's State of the Airports address in 2015.

A few renderings were included in the presentation on slides 37 and 38 and the discussion of the new terminal begins on slide 10 in the presentation transcript..

The presentation and the transcript can be found on the link below:

http://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom-Presentations

• Like 2

I know United wants to start the north B concourse next year.  Demolish it and build mainline gates that connect to Terminal C.  Not sure but that will add another 50 gates.  With a FIS in Terminal B.  That will allow Turkish, Singapore, Air Canada, Lufthansa, Air China to access connections to United without going to Terminal D.  I did not know they were going actually tear down Terminal D.  But they do need something larger for the other carriers.  We will know more next year.       

That's interesting to hear.  My recollection is that construction of Terminal D was delayed long enough that once work was finally initiated, the 80s recession was already hitting Houston hard.  Consequently, its scale was greatly reduced.  Once Houston bounced back, long ago, it's been obvious that it is grossly inadequate.