George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

Are they just doing that one side or are they gonna do the other side too?

I don't know for sure,  but I read on an airplane forum a link to this blurb......

http://texasleftist.blogspot.com/2013/02/houstons-air-war-is-apparently-over.html

It seems to indicate that an expansion of IAH Terminal B by United was approved by city council on Feb. 13.   I have seen nothing else about this,   but if anybody is good at searching council records.

If so - looks like it was under the radar - like "I've thrown my big fit,  now lets get back to work making money since the fit didn't work."

My 3 1/2 year old does this all the time.

The Terminal B expansion has always been planned to be done in phases, with only the Phase 1 (the south side) definitely scheduled and the others to be done as needed, to be determined by United Airlines.  I don't think there is any word from United regarding the execution of Phases 2 and 3.  By most accounts I've seen, United is still throwing its fit.

(I think that article has its facts wrong.  The Terminal B expansion was approved long before the Southwest international expansion.)

I was wondering.   The Terminal B phase I  is pretty far along.   I think its supposed to be finished sometime this year. 

I put several disclaimers in because I was very iffy about the source.  And the link to the source.

I figured it would be a big announcement by either Mayor Parker or United like the agreement on Phase I was - but I threw it out there to see if anybody knew anything more concrete.

Hey everyone...

I am the author of the TexasLeftist blog.  I got the information about IAH's Terminal B because I was streaming the Council meeting online.  That's also why I posted the tweets from ABC13 reporter Miya Shay and Jerry Peruchini, both who were also in attendance at the meeting.  If you listen to Council's discussion for that day, they imply finalization of the expansion plans. 

My apologies if I confused anyone.  Though my blog is opinion-based, I try to get the facts correct there.  As a result I've amended the language in the hopes of some clarification. 

Thanks for checking out the blog!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The IAH twitter handle (@IAH) has been posting pictures Today of the Terminal B new south concourse which will be open to the public over the next few weeks. 

I tweeted the following question "what is the status of the phase 2 expansion of terminal b for the north side gates?" and this was their response: "The construction will begin later this year" Take that for what its worth.  I'm not sure if the person tweeting for IAH is a reliable source, but you would think the person responsible for social media with the airport would be in the know of certain information.  Hopefully its a sign of good things to come.

The IAH twitter handle (@IAH) has been posting pictures Today of the Terminal B new south concourse which will be open to the public over the next few weeks. 

I tweeted the following question "what is the status of the phase 2 expansion of terminal b for the north side gates?" and this was their response: "The construction will begin later this year" Take that for what its worth.  I'm not sure if the person tweeting for IAH is a reliable source, but you would think the person responsible for social media with the airport would be in the know of certain information.  Hopefully its a sign of good things to come.

The person who wrote those tweets was a HAS media agent and is responsible for the social media with the airport, and yes they are in the know. That is why they tweeted what they did. I even asked whether they will expand north, HAS responded yes. I think UA used this entire HOU situation as a cover to make needed cuts.

Edited by AVENSAB727

The person who wrote those tweets was a HAS media agent and is responsible for the social media with the airport, and yes they are in the know. That is why they tweeted what they did. I even asked whether they will expand north, HAS responded yes. I think UA used this entire HOU situation as a cover to make needed cuts.

Until there is an official announcement from HAS/United, I am not going to put any stock into a 'tweet'... 

I think Terminal D needs attention next. As the gateway to the United States and Houston, it looks pretty tacky. I know they are going to do some renovations, but it needs to be totally redone. Would be nice to have a Terminal D that is big, open, full of natural light----something that says ''energy capitol of the world.''

• Like 1

This press release arrived this afternoon.

Bush Intercontinental Airport Marks Arrival of Groundbreaking Technology to Increase Flight Capacity

Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) became fully operational with the first precision approach flown by a United Airlines aircraft using Honeywell’s Smartpath Ground Based Augmentation System (GBAS) on Monday, April 22.  IAH is one of two airports in the country participating in a pilot program, in partnership with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), United Airlines and Honeywell to demonstrate the use of GBAS. This new system delivers a cost-effective solution to increase airport capacity, decrease air traffic noise and reduce weather-related delays.

“The Houston Airports are among the most innovative and progressive in the nation when it comes to safety and efficiently connecting passengers to destinations around the world,” said Mario Diaz, director of the Houston Airports.  “It is imperative that we continue to invest in new technology that enhances the aviation sector.”

Honeywell’s SmarthPath GBAS system augments GPS signals so they can be used for precision navigation in the approach and landing phases of flight. The flexible approaches provided by GBAS may produce a significant reduction in aircraft delays and carbon emissions at airports. The project is a component of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen).  It's a migration from what is considered to be a ground-based air navigation system to a satellite-based navigation system which uses the same GPS that you use in your cars today.

“There is a great opportunity for SmartPath to modernize the flight experience for airline passengers,” said Pat Reines, senior manager, SmartPath Ground Based Augmentation Systems at Honeywell Aerospace. “We’re looking forward to helping Houston passengers and visitors’ experience more flights that depart and arrive on time.”

United Airlines will operate the flights with a Boeing 737 aircraft equipped with global navigation satellite system (GNSS) landing system (GLS) technology to receive the GBAS landing approach data. United was an early leader in NextGen technology, taking delivery of GLS-equipped aircraft since 2009.

“We believe that GBAS is the air carrier precision landing system of the future,” said Captain Joe Burns, United’s managing director of technology and flight test. “We continue to work closely with the FAA and our industry partners on GBAS and other NextGen initiatives.”

GBAS can provide aircraft with guidance to as low as 200 feet above the surface of the runway, referred to as a Category I approach.  The FAA is currently validating the requirements for a GBAS to support Category II and Category III precision approach operations which would guide an aircraft to the surface of the runway. GBAS represents the only currently feasible satellite-based navigation solution for Category II/III precision approach operations.

• Like 1

Well you better believe it , times have changed, and today, alot of major news and updates come through twitter first before they are announced. 

Slow down, now. Not all news stories that come through Twitter are true. The AP Twitter page was hacked on April 23 with a claim that there were explosions at the White House and that the President was injured. Reactions to the tweet caused the Dow to drop 127 points within 2 minutes. The Dow recovered quickly once people figured out it was a hoax. Times have changed, but don't believe that info on Twitter is true because it was broadcasted from a reputable, official, or trusted source. Accounts can be hacked, and sometimes people can be plain wrong.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/04/23/stocks-plunge-quickly-recover-on-fake-tweet/?mod=e2fb

Edited by JLWM8609

I think Terminal D needs attention next. As the gateway to the United States and Houston, it looks pretty tacky. I know they are going to do some renovations, but it needs to be totally redone. Would be nice to have a Terminal D that is big, open, full of natural light----something that says ''energy capitol of the world.''

I thought it was due to be redone at some point.  I wouldn't say it's "tacky".  There's something to be said for retro 1980s architecture!

Slow down, now. Not all news stories that come through Twitter are true. The AP Twitter page was hacked on April 23 with a claim that there were explosions at the White House and that the President was injured. Reactions to the tweet caused the Dow to drop 127 points within 2 minutes. The Dow recovered quickly once people figured out it was a hoax. Times have changed, but don't believe that info on Twitter is true because it was broadcasted from a reputable, official, or trusted source. Accounts can be hacked, and sometimes people can be plain wrong.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/04/23/stocks-plunge-quickly-recover-on-fake-tweet/?mod=e2fb

Yes, and official company websites can be hacked too, and press conferences can be held by performance artists claiming to be representatives of the company, as amply demonstrated by The Yes Men. Doesn't mean Twitter is less reliable.

Edited by kylejack

Forget about the hacking, fake press conferences, etc., what about people who report without simply checking their facts? I think sometimes they are well-meaning but just too anxious to "get the scoop" or just plain lazy. I really don't trust any ONE version of "the news" anymore.

So I was watching the national networks this afternoon in regards to the Terminal B shooting. I noticed immediately that a lot of the anchors on both Fox and CNN constantly were correcting themselves by saying ''George Bush Internation....errr...Intercontinental.''

Where did the name ''Intercontinental'' come from anyway? Anybody else think it's time to change the name to George Bush International Airport? It would seem to give more credence to the airport as a gateway. Not calling it an international airport seems to cheapen the great things that go on at that airport.

On a side note, I took some GIS courses in college and noticed that as you zoomed in on Houston, IAH label would not appear on the map while others would. We came to the conclusion that the word ''International'' was given heavier weight to show up first at a greater kilometer resolution than ''Intercontinental.''

I like "Intercontinental". It's unique, and it implies that IAH serves airports throughout the globe on multiple different continents. If anything, it gives it more legitimacy as a gateway. Hobby will soon be a real international airport, and the distinction between Hobby serving mainly Mexico/Caribbean and IAH serving Europe/Asia/Africa etc will be shown by "International" vs. "Intercontinental". I definitely don't think it should be changed.

• Like 4

I second asubrt: there are plenty of airports that call themselves international because they have a flight or two to Canada or Mexico.  Intercontinental is a step above - flights crossing the big oceans.  I've even thought we should consider renaming it to "Intergalactic" as an homage to NASA... ;-)

• Like 1

The George Bush part is the only thing that needs to be changed,

I agree. Not that I have anything against 41, but Houston Intercontinental just sounds better and doesn't leave anyone wondering where the airport is.

• Like 1