George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

The only lots I am familiar with are the hourly lots ($$$$) and Parking Cents..... if I can't have a friend drop me off and pick me up I park at Parking Cents.

That said, I much prefer leaving town (using their services) than coming back. Leaving you always get a shuttle pretty quickly to the terminal, but coming back seems like I have often had to (gasp!) ... wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching a report on KRIV about the extradition of that T. Mullins and I couldn't help but notice that they refered to Bush Airport as "The Big Airport". While I have heard them (and others) do this from time to time, but what caught my attention is that she refered to the OTHER airport by name.

What's the deal? I never paid attention on who does or does not call Bush Airport by name, but I found it interesting.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh, that probably explains it. I haven't watched local televised news since before Marvin Zindler died...and even then, infrequently.

Yet, in post #2, you are telling everyone how it is reported. Hmmm...

FWIW, I hear it commonly called the "Big Airport", especially by the weathermen. It is often called by its real name, "Bush", as well.

Until they change the tags on my bags from "IAH" to "BUSH" ... It's Houston Intercontinental...

So then we should continue to call Louis Armstrong International (New Orleans) as the Moisant Stock Yards (MSY)?

Edited by CDeb

So then we should continue to call Louis Armstrong International (New Orleans) as the Moisant Stock Yards (MSY)?

Yep. Same for DCA... Let's try to keep things consistent... (I realize it's not practical to re-code airport designators, in reality... so we should leave well enough alone when it comes to renaming airports, just my opinion...)

"Big Airport" goes way back to when the "Big Airport" opened. It's was a native thing.

Am I the only native left?

not at all, we always used Hobby or "big airport"; "Intercontinental" when we wanted to sound fancy or talking to friends/family who would be flying into it.

When terminal C opened, it went from big to positively gi-normous. And then of course they started getting stupid with the names. The Mickey Leeland terminal? I mean really, what kind of a sick joke was that?

EDIT: (for newer locals, and youngsters: Mickey Leeland died in a plane crash.)

Edited by crunchtastic

Around our house, we were always fond of calling it "Intergalactica". Not sure why, maybe a Space Balls thing or something, but it has stuck.

Another instance of my ex-husband flashbacks! Amazing! :blink:

I'll bet, though, that you did not call it Intergalactica at security, at the gate, and more at the bar, then the gate again, until the men in official outfits came, and then Mrs. Crunch went on vacation by herself. :D