River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

for the prime spots i've heard in excess of $200/sf... insane numbers for houston.

To put that in perspective, retail space in San Francisco's Union Square district goes for in excess of $500, although $200 is enough to get you on board, though not facing the square itself and not on a street corner. In excess of $200 puts this a little bit ahead of Washington D.C.'s Chevy Chase district, though that has faded a little as Hines' Chinatown development has become the new retail epicenter in that city.

Ultra high end retail reflects nothing more than the super rich will always be super rich. The people being laid off all over town were never going to be shopping at these places. Their bosses and the people that own the stock will. 

My thought on this is that Houston's upper class isn't as dependent on oil money as they used to be.  That bodes well for us in any oil downturn as these are also the folks that can drive investment and growth.

Also, it may reflect the mentality of those in the upper paygrades at oil companies that this is more of a blip or correction in a longer term boom.

Of course, it just opened so we'll have to see if this kind of retail has staying power or if it slides down the scale to more of a City Centre type development (still not bad in my opinion).

You also have to remember that many of the Galleria's current clients are latin american nationals that come for the sole purpose of a shopping trip. These are also the very folks that would pay to stay in a swanky hotel  next to the stores they plan to visit. Given that the developer has compared this to Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills I would imagine international shoppers are also very much a target for this development.

• Like 1

You also have to remember that many of the Galleria's current clients are latin american nationals that come for the sole purpose of a shopping trip. These are also the very folks that would pay to stay in a swanky hotel  next to the stores they plan to visit. Given that the developer has compared this to Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills I would imagine international shoppers are also very much a target for this development.

I've heard this a lot and would be curious to see the numbers.

Ultra high end retail reflects nothing more than the super rich will always be super rich. The people being laid off all over town were never going to be shopping at these places. Their bosses and the people that own the stock will. 

But see how many people is that in Houston? Is that a sizable market to be able to keep this shopping district alive?

^^^ during my youthful years in college, i introduced myself to MARSHALL FIELDS, NEIMAN MARCUS, LORD & TAYLOR, and so forth.  i did not harbor any form of a fortune.  however, i did incorporate a personal passion for having nice things in life... i get it from my mom.  i worked where ever i could, and i never looked down.  if i walked into one of these stores, you would have never known the difference upon whether i was rich, middle class, or poor.  it's all in the way one carries themself.  it's all about what one values in life.  it's all about passion and drive.  it's all about living....

• Like 1

I would concur that paying more for a few quality fashion pieces is better than paying a lot for Walmart pieces

Why settle for either extreme?

The models in all the adds at ROD will look better in a $200 suit from the Men's Warehouse than most consumers will look in a really expensive suit from ROD.

No reason to cheap out at walmart or overspend at ROD. plenty of quality can be found  in the middle ground.

But  $200 tee shirts and $300 jeans is just silly. looking at you vince.

• Like 3

The models in all the adds at ROD will look better in a $200 suit from the Men's Warehouse than most consumers will look in a really expensive suit from ROD.

No reason to cheap out at walmart or overspend at ROD. plenty of quality can be found in the middle ground.

But $200 tee shirts and $300 jeans is just silly. looking at you vince.

Some of the places in ROD will have $1000 jeans.

No reason to cheap out at walmart or overspend at ROD. plenty of quality can be found in the middle ground.

tumblr_inline_n4foafra0C1sew80h.jpg
  • Like 1

My reasoning behind paying more for clothes is because the quality of said clothing provides so much more wearability that other clothes of the same price.

Unintentional consequence? I'm killin' it erryday fam

Edited by BigFootsSocks
  • Like 1

Geez! I felt almost sick when I bought $20 hand soap at Pottery Barn.

Does it come with gold infused dead sea salt sprinkled with water from the fountain of youth?  :P

To get back on topic. What were we talking about here? .... Oh right, I like those intricately woven threads that coat the outermost layer of my epidermis from neck to foot almost 24/7. 

everyone stop hating on my Target! sure it may need a facelift or whatever but i love it, especially since its just 2 lights from my home and my office and i guarantee you that everyone living at or near ROD will frequent Target alot more than any of the stores in ROD!

:P

• Like 1