Grand Parkway Expansion

When ring road longer than a certain length, it will no longer have the "ring road" purpose anymore. Talking about Beijing, I have to say our roads are 100 years behind, both highway and local.

They're macadamized dirt roads and Belgian-block streets?

Edited by ADCS
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
41 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Any news on segment H?  Has a date been set for start of construction?

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Audit-finds-faults-with-TxDOT-design-build-checks-9184040.php?t=0b0f5c7ecc438d9cbb&cmpid=reddit-premium

There were a few tidbits in there -

• Construction to start next year
  • Portions will be built as a Texas Super-2 (similar to the existing I-2)

• 2 years later...

One the things they did do fairly recently is reconstruct the TX-146B/99 interchange in Baytown. For years (though around 2009 stop signs were added, followed by stoplights in 2013), 146B curved north and 99 ended in a T-intersection, but work began in 2016 so that 146B east went straight to 99, and you'd have to turn left (and crossover westbound 99) to get to 146B. As part of this, 99 was four laned out to FM 1405. That seemed to go fairly unnoticed...but knowing H is underway makes me all the more eager to finally get an update to Google Earth. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Senator says Grand Parkway funding will not be cut

Sen. Larry Taylor is optimistic that is not the case.

Taylor posted on Facebook, in part, “I am proud to report I am working with the Texas Transportation Commission and I am confident that segment B&C of the Grand Parkway with remain in the 2020 UTP.”

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 8/2/2019 at 4:01 PM, BeerNut said:

Completely sensible. While I fundamentally think we shouldn't be constructing new highways, it would be really dumb to not finish it all the way around. That is just asking for trouble down the road. Thanks for the update. 

• Like 3

Also, if it's not completed all the way around it won't get the title of the longest ring road in the country at 170 miles long (currently I-275 around Cincinnati holds the title at 84 miles long)

It would be longer than the outer orbital M25 motorway around London (117 mi) but no where near the road that encircles all of Iceland, which is 828 miles long

• Like 5

Here's the current map that's on Tx-Dot's site https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/houston/sh99-grand-parkway.html

sh99-gp-map-full.jpg

That dip down below the words "Brazoria County" could be to use TX-35 for as much as possible - it's mostly the shortest route from the terminus to 35 that doesn't cut through Brazos Bend state park.  What's more interesting is the turn south then east at 90 degree angles - it might be for the approach to 288, but it's more likely that it is to avoid someone's land 

East of 45 is buildt up down there, especially north of 517 as shown on the map - I wonder how they would push it through to 146

• Like 1

That 90 degree bend east of the Brazos River is done likely to avoid the bulk of state land at the TDCJ Darrington Unit plus it wiggles around to avoid existing housing along county roads east of FM 521. And yeah, there are some big names who own that land south of FM 1462, but it's also the path that affects the least number of existing homes and infrastructure. There are quite a few ranchettes and county roads with homes north of the jog.

• Like 3

Judge urges voters to show support for Grand Parkway ahead of hearing to discuss completion plans

Galveston County Judge Mark Henry released a statement to his residents that said it would be "damaging" to scrap plans.

His statement said in part: 

Grand Parkway segments B and C would connect I-45 in League City to IH-69 in Fort Bend County … Construction of these segments will create a critical hurricane evacuation route for our county, provide an additional corridor to improve mobility in the region, reduce daily traffic congestion, and increase economic development and growth in the region. If delayed or sidelined, the impacts on Galveston County and surrounding areas would be damaging. Our county is at greater risk than other counties in the region during an evacuation due to our main evacuation route being I-45 and being at the mercy of Harris County in giving us an opportunity to evacuate first. There are more than 4 million people located just north of the county line and if an evacuation order is ever issued, our existing evacuation routes could easily become overwhelmed, trapping much of our residents trying to evacuate. A fully constructed Grand Parkway would provide and additional and crucial lifesaving hurricane evacuation route for all Galveston County residents. For this reason alone, we need TxDOT to reconsider removing this project from their plans.

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Grand Parkway stays put in TxDOT’s 10-year road plan

Southern segments of the Grand Parkway are good to go again, after state transportation officials in Austin backed off plans to shelve the projects and remove them from Texas’ 10-year transportation plan.

The Texas Transportation Commission on Thursday approved the Unified Transportation Program, which sets out projects the Texas Department of Transportation has on the horizon. The program also includes an unprecedented $300 million a year for roadway safety projects, following on a pledge to cut roadway deaths along state highways by 50 percent by 2035.

• Like 4

I think they are trying to provide access to all those smaller suburbs in between Houston and Galveston as opposed to Galveston access.  A new spur running to Galveston, with new southern causeway, seems like a good idea though

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Grand Parkway segment H and I are opening today. Good news for those of us who live in this section of the Solar system. 

Would've been great to have when I used to have to drive from the Third Ward area to Huffman. Could've shaved 20 minutes off the drive time. 

• Like 1