Grand Parkway Expansion

I spent some time over on the grand parkway website trying to figure out what the latest idea was for completion of the leg over to 59. At one point I think I read it was supposed to be open by the end of 2015, but it looks like they have expunged any and all references to when it will be complete, apart from this picture:

completion-late-2015.jpg

http://www.grandpky.com/home/

http://www.grandparkway99.com/

Any other news on it?

I saw it from the air last weekend.  It is quite far along.  I was surprised; didn't realize it was proceeding that quickly. 

• Like 1

OK, here's a workable plan that doesn't involve rebuilding the mainlanes but still integrates just as well as a four stack. The new northside NB frontage roads for 99 split off in at-grade ramps (or at least that's what it appears to be) from the westbound frontage roads of 290, with the northside SB roads merging in with the westbound 290. To integrate the system, one thing that could happen is that there could be one railroad crossing where the southside frontage roads meet and intersect with 290, with additional bridges at the same grade of the 99 mainlanes going to the other side. Here's what I mean, sorta:

haif_AGrandIdea.png

I only just now saw this, and I still don't think it's feasible. It honestly comes down to those railroad crossings; if TXDOT and/or HCTRA could get clearance to cross them, they would've built an overpass here when they rebuilt/extended 290 a few years back. Getting permission to cross railroad tracks is pretty much non-existent for RR companies; if the city/county wants a crossing they pretty much have to give up a crossing somewhere else. The liability risk is too high for RR companies.

I saw it from the air last weekend.  It is quite far along.  I was surprised; didn't realize it was proceeding that quickly. 

Well if they're going to have it done by the end of this year as originally stated, they'd better be proceeding that quickly. 

Building a brand new freeway in an already-clear right-of-way can go rather quickly as compared to something like the 290 widening which requires allowing people to still use the thing at the same time. 

• 1 month later...

Photos taken today at US 59 north at at FM 1314

20150906_g_pkwy-0033-ADJ-800.jpg

Looking north along US 59

20150906_g_pkwy-0039-1200.jpg

Looking west from US 59. Only two connection ramps are included in this phase.

20150906_g_pkwy-0029-ADJ-800.jpg

Lookiing northwest

20150906_g_pkwy-0018-1200.jpg

Looking east at FM 1314. The median is surprisingly narrow. There is space to add only two more lanes. I'm assuming there will be a concrete or wire rope barrier with such a narrow median. It is disappointing so see low design standards on a new project, but on these toll projects the only thing that matters is the money so these compromises get made. It also looks to me that the corridor width is less than 400 feet, probably more like 300 feet. All through the environmental process the schematics showed a 400-foot wide corridor, but it may have been downsized for cost-cutting.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow they're about to put it to bid, that's interesting.

No, the contract execution is when everyone signs all the necessary documents, and then there's probably a month or so delay and then they'll start after the clearing & grubbing is finished.

Edit: they can execute the contracts but will have to wait for the funding approval to go through and a Notice to Proceed.

Edited by BigFootsSocks
  • Like 1

With a 2020 completion date it sounds like they'd be starting somewhere around the end of 2016, which makes sense. There are already a lot of land deals going on in that area for future residential and office/warehouse. I think if those deals get locked down quicker then the start date will get pushed up. It all depends on how much longer this oil slump will last tbh

• 3 weeks later...

I posted photos taken today, showing progress of the construction

http://houstonfreeways.com/photos/grand-parkway-october-2015

It looks like the westmost section, from US 290 to SH 249, could be ready for opening soon, by the end of the year. From SH 249 eastward to US 59 there is still a lot of work to be done in certain spots, so I'm thinking those sections will open in spring and summer of 2016.

Regarding BigFootSocks earlier comment that the right-of-way width is required to be 400ft: The right-of-way width varies and is 400 feet in some places but definitely not everywhere. Some spots are very narrow, such as at Hufsmith-Kohrville where it is less than 300 feet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics!

I meant 400ft on the platted route. As in, there's 400ft dedicated to the route, but not all 400 ft is utilized. Basically, I meant an imaginary line. Kinda like the equator. I could be wrong though!

So looking at ur page I see that you addressed this point. From what I've read of the latest articles on this new segment, it seems TXDOT is taking a very low-cost philosophy for this. The contractor mentioned that there are overpasses for future thoroughfares, but no on or off ramps are built for most of these intersections where no road exists. The recently completed segment E does have on and off ramps constructed for those overpasses with no connection, but most are blocked by temporary barriers.

As for freeway width, I would be very surprised if TXDOT did not purchase the land for a 400ft width route. I would not be surprised, however; if TXDOT saved a few $'s by just reducing the amount of trees that needed to be cleared for this initial opening.

I'm curious if there's some extra cost associated with clearing trees between 45 and 69 due to the heavily forested area between the two. Not sure if there's some park or National Forest there.

Edited by BigFootsSocks

Thanks for the pics!

I meant 400ft on the platted route. As in, there's 400ft dedicated to the route, but not all 400 ft is utilized. Basically, I meant an imaginary line. Kinda like the equator. I could be wrong though!

So looking at ur page I see that you addressed this point. From what I've read of the latest articles on this new segment, it seems TXDOT is taking a very low-cost philosophy for this. The contractor mentioned that there are overpasses for future thoroughfares, but no on or off ramps are built for most of these intersections where no road exists. The recently completed segment E does have on and off ramps constructed for those overpasses with no connection, but most are blocked by temporary barriers.

As for freeway width, I would be very surprised if TXDOT did not purchase the land for a 400ft width route. I would not be surprised, however; if TXDOT saved a few $'s by just reducing the amount of trees that needed to be cleared for this initial opening.

I'm curious if there's some extra cost associated with clearing trees between 45 and 69 due to the heavily forested area between the two. Not sure if there's some park or National Forest there.

I believe part of it is, or at least was, a nature reserve, near Riley Fuzzell Rd.

I totally agree. How many times we hear lots of city mayors talk about new projects like "it will solve problems for the next 20/30/50 years" but turned to be not enough after 3 or 5 years…

To develop a city, you have to build infrastructures to attract motivation somehow, instead of waiting for chances to come. Don't put all arguments on findings, how much funding you can get, no matter public or private, partially depend on how hard you work on it.

Take a look at highway system and conditions in China, we should feel ashamed.

if you build it, they will come.

so, make it 3 lanes- do it right the first time :)

(sigh...) I imagine that digging out the narrow underpasses must be cheaper than building overpasses, notwithstanding that when the inevitable widening beyond three lanes to a side occurs it's going to cost a lot more money to accomplish.

For the section south of 290 and I-10 (Section G?), I'm not sure if the frontage roads are permanently canned or not, but I did do some looking at the plans of the Grand Parkway and I think that they are going to be there, though just not yet.

They are going to be sunken and not at-grade crossings, much like the original Beltway 8/I-10 interchange when the railroad still paralleled it. This would mean that the frontage roads would be sunken, but not the mainlanes, which would have to be bridges, and those already have permanent signage.

The section north of 290 has a "stub" point just near where the westbound frontage road curves off into the northbound frontage road.

Since 290 was significantly widened with lanes being shifted around all the time, it's possible that the mainlanes may have been rebuilt to support something being under them.

Probably one of the things preventing the building of frontage roads right now is that it would have been sort of useless...they would be used only for local access, and the two roads it would connect to are just essentially dead-end turn-around points.

The only evidence I could see for "frontage roads being axed" is that they seem to have built drainage structures near where the road would go over, just north of the Mound Road (the more northern one) stub, and the fact that the median between the 290 mainlanes and the frontage roads already seem to be used as drainage.

I doubt they're going to put frontage lanes in IT. That would require building a bridge span for both sides of 290, bringing the support columns down for the Grand Parkeay overpasses, and getting approval from the RR company (UP? BNSF?) to build bridges for the rail crossing over these "sunken frontage roads." That alone will never happen because RR companies are notoriously difficult in negotiating that sort of thing. They won't put in an at-grade RR crossing unless they are highly motivated, or an existing crossing is removed.

It's just not gonna happen. The 290 west frontage road has an entrance into the GP ramp already. That alone says enough.

• 1 month later...