Hanover Montrose: Multifamily At 3400 Montrose Blvd.

HoustonMidtown

I'm not seeing how this thing pays homage to anything.  Not by a long shot.  The design is generic, and it should be oriented toward Montrose.  The existing building isn't an architectural treasure by any means, but the scale was at least more or less consistent with the neighborhood.  

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, it is worth adding a reminder that HAIF is here to a large extent to provide a forum for discussion and criticism of architecture.  If you have a problem with that then it would be best to go elsewhere.  Personal insults and bitchy remarks are just going to be deleted in accordance with forum rules.

Speaking of aesthetic police (would be nice to have).. I'm kind of surprised Montrose doesn't have unique signage, lighting, bus stops, ect like uptown. I guess the reason uptown has unique stuff is because of the uptown TIRZ? What are the chances of montrose or some of the other more unique/urban areas of town getting their own TIRZ? I'm naive to what they do, but I like the unique signage, ect to uptown and think artsy eclectic stuff around the montrose/arts district area would be cool.

I'd be in favor of unique signage for Montrose if they used the same font that was used for the Mary's logo. 

marysmural052.jpg

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/30-story-apartment-tower-planned-for-Montrose-5147074.php#/5

"Hanover, which purchased the property last month from an Israeli investment group, will not put retail in the building

Ott said the site is only about 39,000 square feet, and the setback requirements don't leave room for it.

The area already has a lot of retail development, he said.

The building will boast a long list of amenities for tenants.

An outdoor area on the ninth floor will have views of downtown, a swimming pool with private cabanas, grilling areas and a green lawn. Other perks will include 24-hour concierge services, business and fitness centers, a demonstration kitchen, a private dining room and a screening room.

The north- and east-facing units will have downtown views. "The building orientation maximizes the number of residential units that have dramatic views of downtown," Ott said.

Meanwhile, Hanover said its neighbors are welcoming the project.

"We have a full letter of support from Montrose Management District, and the adjacent neighbors with whom we've discussed the project are thrilled that a blighted building is coming down," he said."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/30-story-apartment-tower-planned-for-Montrose-5147074.php#/5

An outdoor area on the ninth floor will have views of downtown, a swimming pool with private cabanas, grilling areas and a green lawn. Other perks will include 24-hour concierge services, business and fitness centers, a demonstration kitchen, a private dining room and a screening room.

So basically the same amenities as every apartment complex built in the loop since 2006? The few amenities the residents will use are nice, but you're basically paying more per month for all these wonderful things you'll probably never use, as well as the trainer in the gym, the Yoga/Pilates instructor, the holiday parties including the liquor reps, the chef to teach cooking courses, the wine sellers to have tasting parties. All while you're at work or coming home from a long day. 

Ott said the site is only about 39,000 square feet, and the setback requirements don't leave room for it.

The area already has a lot of retail development, he said.

Pretty easy to get a variance if you want.

More residents = more demand for retail. 

A public retail space is ultimately much more exciting than some of these private amenities. I'm pretty sure no one who lives in Columbus Square on McKinney Ave. in Dallas, which has on its first floor a Starbucks, i Fratelli pizzeria, Palm Beach Tan, Trophy Fitness, and Sebastien Salon, and whose sidewalks are full of people at night, wishes that they could trade all this for a private cabana and grilling area, and a dead first floor. And yes, there's plenty of other retail development in that neighborhood, too.

Once again, I fail to understand the complaints people on here are making about this building.

There is nothing spectacular about it, but it is a nice project that will be very successful and will be a good place to live.

As for the ground floor retail component, when you factor in the small size of the site, the setback requirements, and the off-street parking requirements, I doubt it would be economically feasible. There is plenty of retail in the area, more is planned, and the increased residential density provided by this project will further increase retail demand.

Pretty easy to get a variance if you want.

More residents = more demand for retail. 

A public retail space is ultimately much more exciting than some of these private amenities. I'm pretty sure no one who lives in Columbus Square on McKinney Ave. in Dallas, which has on its first floor a Starbucks, i Fratelli pizzeria, Palm Beach Tan, Trophy Fitness, and Sebastien Salon, and whose sidewalks are full of people at night, wishes that they could trade all this for a private cabana and grilling area, and a dead first floor. And yes, there's plenty of other retail development in that neighborhood, too.

You're assuming everyone wants the same things you do. I really wouldn't want to live in a high rise where the sidewalks are full of people at night. If I was going to live here I'd rather have a 12' wall around the building. Nice and quiet on the grounds and you could walk across the street for retail.

You're assuming everyone wants the same things you do. I really wouldn't want to live in a high rise where the sidewalks are full of people at night. If I was going to live here I'd rather have a 12' wall around the building. Nice and quiet on the grounds and you could walk across the street for retail.

If you want the seclusion of a 12 foot wall, a high rise on a major urban boulevard should not be the place for you. If highrises on Montrose Blvd. are catering to people who want total privacy, then there's no hope of it ever being an exciting destination.

To all the people saying "well there's retail in the area," you don't get a lively street just by having retail in the area.  Right now you can drive down Montrose at 4 PM of a gorgeous, 70 degree day, and you might see at most a handful of people on the street between Westheimer and W. Alabama, despite the fact that there's retail in the area! Retail "in the area" does not breathe life into a street and throng it with people; to have this, you need to have retail all along that street, on nearly every block, without setbacks. Then you have something exciting.

Is it possible for the street to still evolve into something exciting without the help of this building?  Yes.  But every building helps set the tone for what follows, especially major ones. A project of this scale deciding its block of Montrose is just going to be one more dead zone is a major opportunity lost.

• 1 month later...

So the new 30 story tower is for sure going up? There won't be a demolition and then a cancelation right?

Are you looking for someone to tell the future? This question is ridiculous. It just makes sense someone wouldn't go to the expense to tear it down if they think the building will be canceled

Dude, you didn't have to snap the person's head off. Geez. Houstonboy, I agree. I can see the concern as it has happened before where something was torn down and nothing ever came of the land. Cough, Astroworld. Cough, Bank of the Southwest Tower. I'm sure there are other examples. 

Dude, you didn't have to snap the person's head off. 

It's becoming far too common among several users on the forum lately and I'm far from the only person with this sentiment. We all have differing opinion. It's called a forum so that we have a place for discussion. I'm not sure why the added rudeness is necessary.

I agree. So much snapping lately. Someone asks a question or gives their opinions and people just jump on them lately.

If you don't like the question no one forces you to answer. Remember mamma said if you can't say anything pleasant don't say anything at all.

Anyway, I hope the poster`s concerns do not come true. I hope the building is built soon after thus one comes down

I agree. So much snapping lately. Someone asks a question or gives their opinions and people just jump on them lately.

If you don't like the question no one forces you to answer. Remember mamma said if you can't say anything pleasant don't say anything at all.

Anyway, I hope the poster`s concerns do not come true. I hope the building is built soon after thus one comes down

Guys... Say no to emotions!!

Just think critically. I ask dumb questions too sometimes. I wasn't even trying to be smart. Sorry it came out that way!

Dude, you didn't have to snap the person's head off. Geez. Houstonboy, I agree. I can see the concern as it has happened before where something was torn down and nothing ever came of the land. Cough, Astroworld. Cough, Bank of the Southwest Tower. I'm sure there are other examples. 

Cough, every parking lot in the historic district downtown.

(**cough**) not to mention The Parking District (oh how I love that name)... 

I kinda thought that it was a cool old building, too, and certainly spent my time at Cody's.  However, its size, the low ceiling heights, and the length of time it was out of service (which does the plumbing, etc. no favors at all) almost certainly made any sort rehab a marginally profitable venture, at best.  

*cough*  Lamar Hotel, C&I building, Loews State and Metropolitan Theaters.

Would this building not need to undergo asbestos abatement before demolition?  

You know, I'm always a little dubious about the ceiling height argument.  Are the ceilings somehow freakishly low?  The Texaco building has been vacant much longer than this, and yet someone they are able to make a rehab work.  

Oh well, too late to fuss about it now.

Well, at least Subdude's Gang of Four now has 1000 Main where they used to be.  

IIRC, the ceilings in that building were almost freakishly low, as in once you have MEP in place they were barely 8'.  Yes, Texaco was out of service much longer; however, it's also a larger project by a multiple and thus the infrastructure cost can be spread out further.  I'd also be willing to bet that the building that was continuously occupied by Texaco from the grand opening until it moved out had a better set of "as built" plans than an older, decaying Class C multi tenant building.  And of course, there may have been other structural issues we don't know about, but that anyone surveying the building to see what to do with it would have picked up.

Asbestos abatement is pretty much a given on anything involving a building more than 20 - 25 years old - even in demolition, it has to be encapsulated and removed separately.

*cough* Lamar Hotel, C&I building, Loews State and Metropolitan Theaters.

Would this building not need to undergo asbestos abatement before demolition?

You know, I'm always a little dubious about the ceiling height argument. Are the ceilings somehow freakishly low? The Texaco building has been vacant much longer than this, and yet someone they are able to make a rehab work.

Oh well, too late to fuss about it now.

They were only able to make the rehab work with $15,000 per unit from the city.

Archived