Montrose Multifamily: 13-Story Building At 1920 W. Alabama St.

Urbannizer

1920-w-alabama.jpg

The new owner of 3 adjacent 2-story apartment complexes at the western edge of Winlow Place in Montrose have politely asked all tenants to leave by the end of August. The fifties-and-sixties-era courtyard complexes, at 1920 W. Alabama St. (above), 2810 McDuffie, and 1924 Marshall, were sold by Prestige Holdings at the end of April to a company called City Centre at Midtown, which appears to be connected to apartment developer Dolce Living. The adjacent complexes together include 73 apartments; the 1.58 acres of land they sit on has frontage on West Alabama St. (between Hazard and Huldy, pictured above) and McDuffie St., which dead-ends into a parking lot shared by the McDuffie and Marshall St. properties. According to a tipster, a notice for the abandonment of that dead-end portion of McDuffie St. was posted in February. Admiral Linen’s 3-building complex (behind the Randalls grocery store) at 2030 Kipling St. is immediately adjacent to the properties.

According to a notice sent to residents by the property manager, City Centre at Midtown plans to demolish the buildings in September and build new apartments on the site. The same notice informs residents that they must vacate their apartmentsarrow-10x10.png no later than August 31st, and offers to prorate August rent accordingly. “Thank you for your residency,” the notice reads. “Many of you have made your home at City Centre for a long period of time.”

“Longtime residents aren’t finding any consolation in this offer,” a tipster tells Swamplot. “Especially with such short notice. The residents are a demographically diverse group with a wide range of occupations from students to retirees. It’s mostly quiet, peppered with moments of friends laughing it up outside and impromptu music concerts.” The actions of the seller and buyer in preparing for redevelopment “flew under the radar,” according to the tipster.

http://swamplot.com/new-owners-to-montrose-apartment-dwellers-everybody-out-by-the-end-of-august-were-tearing-these-places-down/2014-07-28/

• Like 1

I know they "have the right," but that doesn't make it right when it's just over the minimum 30 days' notice to vacate for people who've been in place for some time.  Somehow I doubt that an extra two to four weeks would have killed them.

• Like 1

I hope that whatever they build it will be relatively low in rent or just above what was there now. Not everything needs to be super upscale which is probably whats going to go here, but then again if they are already that quick to demo in september it's probably just going to be regular apartments and not a midrise or even townhomes.

• Like 2

I hope that whatever they build it will be relatively low in rent or just above what was there now. Not everything needs to be super upscale which is probably whats going to go here, but then again if they are already that quick to demo in september it's probably just going to be regular apartments and not a midrise or even townhomes.

The only chance of something being low rent in the area was to leave the existing building.  The land costs and building costs pretty much prohibit any kind of newer low rent building without some kind of subsidy. 

• Like 1

Do we finally some Heights-esque Midtown creep?!

This is so not in Midtown.

Yea I still don't understand why this is considered Midtown.

To me this looks like the condos in Miami designed to keep non-residents out.

• Like 1

Yea I still don't understand why this is considered Midtown.

It is not... they just want it to appeal to a crowd looking for that name... or they are very misinformed.

This design looks bad, and I am not even concerned about the street stuff. It makes logical sense to put a garage on the bottom floor. It is the stylings that have no integrity to anything and are built to catch a trend. This building wont look great when new, and it will look worse as it ages.

• Like 1

I refuse to believe that this will wind up being the name of the complex - it just makes no sense.  Typically "Upper Kirby" is the name creep over this particular part of Montrose

The LLC was formed October of last year and the sale wasn't until April/May of this year so maybe it was originally formed for another deal that fell through?

Anyway, hard to tell much from that "rendering" but I'm impressed with the height of these new complexes (like the Susanne) in the area.  Just imagine if the Admiral Linen plot gets developed into a midrise and Read King finally goes vertical on that center at Shepherd and W Alabama.  I lived in the area until very recently and W Alabama always made for a nice commute in - I suspect that is changing

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Was browsing the proposed cases to the FAA and found crane and building cases for "Millenium at Midtown" (misspelling and all). Likely another 7ish story midrise from the Dinerstien Company.  Looks like this will be at 1920 W Alabama where an older 2 story complex stood.  I searched and couldn't find another thread on this development, please merge if it already exists. 

http://swamplot.com/new-owners-to-montrose-apartment-dwellers-everybody-out-by-the-end-of-august-were-tearing-these-places-down/2014-07-28/

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=390697467&row=295

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=390697478&row=296

Overview
Study (ASN): 2018-ASW-17912-OE
Prior Study:  

Received Date: 11/26/2018
Entered Date: 11/26/2018
Map: View Map
Construction Info     Structure Summary
Notice Of: CONSTR
Duration: TEMP    (Months: 18    Days: 0)
Work Schedule: 01/01/2019  to  01/01/2021

Structure Type: Crane
Structure Name: Millenium At Midtown
FCC Number:  

Structure Details     Height and Elevation
Latitude (NAD 83): 29° 44' 19.85" N
Longitude (NAD 83): 95° 24' 29.10" W
Datum: NAD 83
City: Houston (and vicinity)
State: TX
Nearest County: Harris

Proposed
Site Elevation:
Structure Height:
Total Height (AMSL):

Frequencies
Low Freq High Freq Unit ERP Unit

Overview
Study (ASN): 2018-ASW-17911-OE
Prior Study:  

Received Date: 11/26/2018
Entered Date: 11/26/2018
Map: View Map
Construction Info     Structure Summary
Notice Of: CONSTR
Duration: PERM    (Months: 0    Days: 0)
Work Schedule: 12/02/2018  to  08/05/2020

Structure Type: Building
Structure Name: Millenium At Midtown
FCC Number:  

Structure Details     Height and Elevation
Latitude (NAD 83): 29° 44' 19.85" N
Longitude (NAD 83): 95° 24' 29.10" W
Datum: NAD 83
City: Houston (and vicinity)
State: TX
Nearest County: Harris

Proposed
Site Elevation:
Structure Height:
Total Height (AMSL):

Frequencies

Low Freq

High Freq Unit ERP

Unit

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2014 at 2:08 PM, mollusk said:

I know they "have the right," but that doesn't make it right when it's just over the minimum 30 days' notice to vacate for people who've been in place for some time.  Somehow I doubt that an extra two to four weeks would have killed them.

53 minutes ago, hindesky said:

This land has been cleared for at least a couple years. Its right across from west Alabama Icehouse and one of the best taco trucks in Houston.

There, in a nutshell, is the story of development, Houston style.
Think I'll go to the River Cafe and order a pitcher of sangria to drown my sorrows....

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Yikes, design hasn't changed much from 2014. :unsure:

Millennium-at-MidTown.jpeg

https://www.luxecrowdfunding.com/portfolio/

Millennium Midtown will consist of 258 “Class A” residential rental units and a 4,000 square foot amenity center when fully completed. It will be situated in the heart of the West sub-market in one of the Houston finest residential neighborhoods. Due to its close proximity to downtown Houston,the developments transportation needs are well met.

• Like 5