Montrose Multifamily: 13-Story Building At 1920 W. Alabama St.

Urbannizer

• 1 month later...

This has me very worried, looking thru the Berkadia 2Q22 Houston Construction Pipeline it shows that "DLC Residential" is involved with the UsLiving project on 1920 W. Alabama. DLC is currently building the Sovereign at the Ballpark and they built the Dolce Midtown on W. Gray St. The Dolce project took about 4 years to build and Sovereign is looking to break that timeline. A 13 story could take 8+ years and a 36 story could take 15+ years at the rate they finish projects. 😬😠😦

XKIWEu4.png

xNB4el8.png

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, hindesky said:

This has me very worried, looking thru the Berkadia 2Q22 Houston Construction Pipeline it shows that "DLC Residential" is involved with the UsLiving project on 1920 W. Alabama. DLC is currently building the Sovereign at the Ballpark and they built the Dolce Midtown on W. Gray St. The Dolce project took about 4 years to build and Sovereign is looking to break that timeline. A 13 story could take 8+ years and a 36 story could take 15+ years at the rate they finish projects. 😬😠😦

XKIWEu4.png

xNB4el8.png

It’s a minor mistake on Berkadia’s pipeline list. DLC Residential were previous owners of the site and sold to US Living. They are not involved in this project.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

All 3 of the Vero Sade/Us Living new projects in Houston are no longer on their construction web site. 😧

https://verosade.com/construction/

I wouldn’t expect construction to be imminent given the monster pullback in multi-family lending we’ve seen. A website update at least requires some sort of background action.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 7:54 AM, Luminare said:

This is one of the reasons why a few months ago I moved from a mostly residential firm to a firm that pretty much does zero residential. Houston is a development unicorn right now, everyone should be appreciative the amount that is going on up. Hopefully this company can find some funding, but liquidity for residential building is very close to dry. At least that's what I've seen. People need to understand. Every single time the Fed raises interest rates it takes about a year for each one to take affect from the time of the raise itself.

If the data is to be believed, I think we're in for a 2008-style housing bust. However, in 2008, Houston escaped the worst of it, and I think that will be true for this bust too. 

My wife and I bought last year, so I am familier with Houston pricing. In comparison, in other major cities (including DFW) the prices are crazily inflated. They're eye watering in comparison to Houston's affordability.

Those inflated prices won't be sustainable with 30yr mortgages at 7%. A lot of people in those other major cities will be feeling a lot of hurt as they end up in serious negative equity when the bubble does burst.

In contrast, Houston's housing prices seem to me to have only just kept pace with inflation. That means we didn't boom as hard as Dallas or Austin in the last 5 years. But we won't bust like them either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aachor said:

If the data is to be believed, I think we're in for a 2008-style housing bust. However, in 2008, Houston escaped the worst of it, and I think that will be true for this bust too. 

Housing starts plummeted in 2008, going from (and this is from memory) around 50,000 starts to around 7,500 starts. About an 85% drop in starts. I felt lucky that my business only dropped 70%. We went from 200+ employees to around 65. Oddly, one of our saving graces was Ike. We had a massive inventory left after the crash, that would have taken a couple years to dwindle down. But Ike created a huge demand for material, to renovate all the flood-damaged houses, especially cabinets, since they're always destroyed in a flood. Anyone that had cabinets in stock (and we had 'em!) was doing a boom business.

Oil prices went from almost $200 to almost $60 that same year. It wasn't just housing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, astrohip said:

Housing starts plummeted in 2008, going from (and this is from memory) around 50,000 starts to around 7,500 starts. About an 85% drop in starts. I felt lucky that my business only dropped 70%. We went from 200+ employees to around 65. Oddly, one of our saving graces was Ike. We had a massive inventory left after the crash, that would have taken a couple years to dwindle down. But Ike created a huge demand for material, to renovate all the flood-damaged houses, especially cabinets, since they're always destroyed in a flood. Anyone that had cabinets in stock (and we had 'em!) was doing a boom business.

Oil prices went from almost $200 to almost $60 that same year. It wasn't just housing.

Yeah, that's escaping the worst of it. From what I can tell, demand dropped enormously, but prices only fell a little. Certainly less than most other parts of the country. I grew up in Michigan and in 2009, the market value on my parent's home had dropped to 65% of what they paid for at purchase. Many, many people ended up owing the banks double what their homes would fetch on the market. It took a decade to recover. New construction wasn't down by 85%. It went to zero. Projects that were underway were halted. Half-built homes sitting abandoned were a regular sight. 

Edited by aachor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...