Shamrock Tower At 617 Main St.

dbigtex56

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess there's no use for this thread anymore. 12 out of 58 of us were right when we voted "no", shamrock will never be built. I voted for "this poll sucks", and I'm the 1 who started the poll! Does every1 get their 1,000 dollars back? Well, it was fun while it lasted. Subdude, I think its time to go ahead and lock this thread up. Shows over. Ahh f**k it, lets's go to sizzler.

Well I guess there's no use for this thread anymore. 12 out of 58 of us were right when we voted "no", shamrock will never be built. I voted for "this poll sucks", and I'm the 1 who started the poll! Does every1 get their 1,000 dollars back? Well, it was fun while it lasted. Subdude, I think its time to go ahead and lock this thread up. Shows over. Ahh f**k it, lets's go to sizzler.

"Are you saying that lack of zoning is the one thing that Houston has going for it?  How so?  Has it proved a big benefit to city?"

In many ways it has been a benefit and in many it hasn't. When you have businesses encroaching in a neighborhood, zoning would have prevented this. I know that at least our old deed restrictions prohibit this.

There are too many fly-by-night businesses in neighborhoods that quite frankly do lower quality of life standards.

But the last time Houston tried to enact zoning, the developers went ballistic. We average citizens don't have much say cause money talks.

It pisses me that f****n trailer is still on that lot with those 2 assclowns in it. On their "I'm a condo salesman" high horses and their "you're just a drop in the bucket" attitudes. Anybody got a truck and a trailer hitch?

It pisses me that f****n trailer is still on that lot with those 2 assclowns in it. On their "I'm a condo salesman" high horses and their "you're just a drop in the bucket" attitudes. Anybody got a truck and a trailer hitch?

I believe that the reason it started out so big was because they thought they could acquire the building behind, but for some reason something fell through. I want to say they own the building though. So after it couldn't be the full city block they changed it to the design we know today. If anyone can correct any of this or can add things it would be appreciated.

Just to further spur conversation on this topic, I believe that Tracy has clouded and encumbered title to that parcel of land to the point that nobody will be able to do anything on it for the foreseeable future. Nevermind the fact that McDonald's has the first right to be reconstructed within X months from now. There is also a parking easement on the property of 125 spaces that will follow the property regardless of who develops it. The owner of the building that blocks Tracy on the NE corner of his property was in jail and then a halfway house as recently as last year. Bottom line: this is a tangled mess that makes for a better soap opera than a real estate deal.... but hey, that's just my opinion.

Houston developer Tracy Suttles apparently has struck a deal with a creditor who threatened to foreclose on a River Oaks mansion owned by the local builder.

Suttles, who purchased the 22,000-square-foot home with his wife in 2002, was in default on a loan to Progressive Lending Group of California, according to Patton Boggs, a Dallas law firm representing the lender.

Apparently, an agreement was negotiated to keep the property from being sold at a foreclosure auction.

...Until recently, this elusive real estate developer had stayed below the radar while stockpiling huge numbers of apartments. But he made headlines for wanting to build Shamrock Tower, a high-rise condo building cater-cornered from the Rice lofts downtown.

Hosuton Chronicle: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3081625

There are so many variables to getting a tall building built especially when condo sales are involved.

Many things rest on how approvals from agencies are coming in. Also, how organized is the development team that is constructing the project.

For example,Orion has an extensive development team the includes locals and outside people. The development team knew how to deal with the city and other agencies to get the project moving. Knowing people in high places can help the process move.

To me, it appears the development team of Shamrock is not as coordinated. This doesn't mean the project won't get built. It just means it will seem like it take forever for the project to move forward. The agencies like a developer who is on the ball and knows what needs to be done for approvals to move a project forward. Also, the agencies are also indifferent to developers who get too pushy or are unorganized.

It does appear that many of the reservations are making good on turning into contracts. It could just be the financing that could be holding the whole project up.

What we are seeing is two projects that have different organizations and one is moving forward (Orion) and one is not (Shamrock).

Archived