Shamrock Tower At 617 Main St.

dbigtex56

According to the sales office this afternoon, requests for construction permits for the Shamrock have been submitted, although groundbreaking is not anticipated for another 6-8 weeks. The work done on the lot earlier was taking "core samples" in connection with the foundation design.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have purposely resisted commenting on this subject, because I represented clients who had investment interests in seing this project happen. As I am now no longer representing clients looking to buy in Shamrock Tower, I can now say that I am highly skeptical of its feasibility.

Keller Williams did, in fact, drop the listing, forcing the listing agent to seek representation by another broker. Their reasons for doing this are their own. I will not speculate as to why dropping tens of millions of dollars worth of listings makes better business sense than seeing them through to sales. You can make your own determination. I can only say that in every case I've ever been involved with, Keller Williams has shown itself to be of the highest standards of integrity. Their exit from this can in no way send a positive message about the project. I lost faith in the developer's listing agents a long time ago, but was hopeful for something good to come of this. At that time, they were Keller Williams agents. Losing this mark of credibility was the final strike, in my opinion.

I am no longer a Realtor, nor am I affiliated with Keller Williams in any way. The last bit of information I got on the project was that converting the reservations to contracts was still going on, though many reservations were falling out. Last I heard, they were nowhere near breaking ground on the tower. This, in itself, should be troubling, since the development team, in telling us on several occasions to expect groundbreaking in June, July, November and December has been shown  to be unreliable.

Based on the scant numbers of reservations that I speculate are being converted to contracts, it seems that the only people who believe in this project are the listing agents. Like I said, I stopped seeing eye-to-eye with those guys a long time ago.

Woah... I knew it.

If the Shamrock didn't go up, I don't think Houston would necessarily be missing out. I was actually kind of worried that the Shamrock would absorb too much of the demand for downtown/midtown living. I'd rather see 30 low-rise buildings spring up all along the LRT corridor, each with interesting street-level retail, than one single monolith downtown with a McDonald's on the ground floor.

Not that I know anything about how real estate works, but that was my thought process.

Plus -and I didn't want to say this earlier because I wanted to stay positive- the building is, imho, remarkably unattractive.

Orion didn't put out a bunch of early speculation and remained under wraps. The advertising for possible buyers went to select people. Only recently they publicly advertised.

The shamrock group probably wanted to start earlier in the year, but govn't bureacracy can get in the way. Also, remember that the sales people are not always abrest of most of the information about construction. Sounds crazy, but it's possible that the sales people are just clueless exept for putting on a sales pitch and filling some forms for new buyers.

Sorry, I must be a different Shasta then the one you are thinking of. But.. I did receive a response from the Shamrock and they indicated that the project is progressing. They are currently meeting with the Houston Planning Department and have submitted permits. They are finalizing the construction documents and are planning on starting construction in April. They have almost met their requirement in order to get the title from the bank. Remember if the developer is taking out a substantial loan from the bank- the bank owns the project and not the developer which could delay things.

And if anyone here knows anything about the process required(design, engineering, bidding, permits, finacial, marketing, etc.) to get a project of this size you would realize they are actually progressing quickly. When did they offically announce this project- wasn't it near the Super Bowl (Jan. 2004)?

They are finalizing the construction documents and are planning on starting construction in April. They have almost met their requirement in order to get the title from the bank. Remember if the developer is taking out a substantial loan from the bank- the bank owns the project and not the developer which could delay things.

And if anyone here knows anything about the process  required(design, engineering, bidding, permits, finacial, marketing, etc.)  to get a project of this size you would realize they are actually progressing quickly. When did they offically announce this project- wasn't it near the Super Bowl (Jan. 2004)?

We have heard this from summer 2004 to December. What makes it different now?

They have almost met their requirement in order to get the title from the bank. Remember if the developer is taking out a substantial loan from the bank- the bank owns the project and not the developer which could delay things.

sorry if i come across as rude but.... huh?!?!

And if anyone here knows anything about the process  required(design, engineering, bidding, permits, finacial, marketing, etc.)  to get a project of this size you would realize they are actually progressing quickly.
that is not the case.... a turtle progresses more quickly than this project ;)
When did they offically announce this project- wasn't it near the Super Bowl (Jan. 2004)?

actually, it was announced +/- sep of '03. they had a majority of their reservations (not pre-sales) during the super bowl.

I wonder if (if it is ever built) it is going to turn out that white/light beige in real life. It may not be as ugly as the darker stone, but it kind of clashes with some of the historical buildings near it IMO. Plus I just feel like that color is more appropriate in Uptown.

If the Shamrock didn't go up, I don't think Houston would necessarily be missing out. I was actually kind of worried that the Shamrock would absorb too much of the demand for downtown/midtown living. I'd rather see 30 low-rise buildings spring up all along the LRT corridor, each with interesting street-level retail, than one single monolith downtown with a McDonald's on the ground floor.

Good point.

It's hard to say how accurate the color is in a CGI rendering. I'm no big fan of the design overall, but in this case I do think the beige or sandstone color is spot on. It echoes what was for years almost the default coloring of downtown buildings. You still see it in, among others, the Gulf, Esperson, Houston Club, Melrose, Commerce, City Natl. Bank, County Court, Sterling, and Keystone buildings, and also at one point the Lamar Hotel, San Jacinto building, and Kirby building.

Strange that it started out so big, but now they're having a hard time filling up slots in the smaller one. Was this a case of some rotten market research, or has there been a basic shift in demand for downtown living (maybe something related to the economy)?

Strange that it started out so big, but now they're having a hard time filling up slots in the smaller one.  Was this a case of some rotten market research,  or has there been a basic shift in demand for downtown living (maybe something related to the economy)?

Nah...bad management of the project. The demand was never in question and is still there. Rudeness and unprofessionalism can turn off even the most determined buyers and worse...even the most accomodating vendors, contractors and financial providors.

Surprisingly, even with the lack of advertising the group has gotten the majority of the units reserved. If they are currently in the process of turning these reservations into contracts, the timeline could be way off for construction start. The financing arms of the project won't hand over the go ahead for construction until a certain percentage of the reservations are turn into contracts which could take a while.

Also, Orion didn't start televised ads until they started clearing and early stages of foundation work. The television advertisments are just to possibly finish selling units. The most effective form of advertising for high-rises is through a realtor and print advertisement. The potential residents of these facilities probably doin't watch much TV to begin with.

Archived