Shamrock Tower At 617 Main St.

dbigtex56

Well, I was by a bit earlier, and I see the "activity" area you were talking about. definately looks like it is the start of something and doing SOME work there in the not too distance past.

Either that, or they imported sand there for the local stray cats and dogs to use.

Ricco

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little blurb from ms. Sanoff's column on Sunday:

"But for those not in Orion's economically elite set, there's the Shamrock Tower downtown. Or is there?

It's still unclear when construction will begin on the 32-story building planned on a prime Main Street block catty-corner from the Rice Lofts.

Realtor Roger Huffine said he's in the process of converting more than 100 reservations into hard sales contracts.

Nearly 70 percent of the 264 units have been reserved, he said, and 30 contracts were in the title company as of last week.

Prices started around $170,000."

For the sake of all the people who have put money down on this project, the developers need to come clean and definitively say what's happening here. The fact that they keep acting like the Shamrock will break ground at any moment is at the very least dishonest.

Quote she said "it's still unclear when construction will begin on the 32-stroy building." Shamrock already broke ground. They're testing out the core samplings in the area first to make sure the building will be stable, and not leaning are some sort. The construction will evenly follow.

y'all need to stop worrying so much. It will happen.

Quote she said "it's still unclear when construction will begin on the 32-stroy building." Shamrock already broke ground. They're testing out the core samplings in the area first to make sure the building will be stable, and not leaning are some sort. The construction will evenly follow.

y'all need to stop worrying so much. It will happen.

Testing for core samplings doesn't count as 'breaking ground'...not quite.

In construction, breaking ground is as simple as turn over a shovel of dirt. Seeing a large physiscal presence of construction work isn't needed to qualify of breaking ground.

When the Fort Bend Parkway broke ground, it was a good two months before real work started.

Another important aspect is the time of converting the reservations to contracts. Depending on the staffing of the title company and availability of the reservee, this could take two or three months.

They don't have a trailer on main street for nothing. You think a business going to put a trailer on main street and adverstie Shamrock Tower on it? Come on, give me a break.

It is my opinion that calling Shamrock Tower a business is a bit of a stretch. The realtors in that trailer are working off the promise of future commissions. Also, it doesn't cost anything to keep the trailer there. It is a flashy trial balloon. It is the nature of this business....

Hey 27,

The render you've posted was one of the first concepts of the tower. It was to take the entire block. The developer has adjusted the design to where it takes half of the block and keep the twenty something story building behind it.

It think the owner of the existing building didn't want to sell or wanted too much. With this tower going up, maybe that old building could be renovated and fill offices again.

The shamrock website has the new elevations from each side of the building. It's a shockwave flash loaded site, so i don't know how well you can capture pictures.

The website does list all the proposed units that have reservations (which they are working to covert contracts)

Check it out

At this point, we need pedestrian density, period. So yes, it fits in downtown. Later, when the momentum of this project spawns more residential density, then we will enjoy the luxury of critiquing Shamrock

i somewhat agree with 2112, but also, i really don't care if it fits architecturally or not, there is no rule that all structures need to complement each other for it to be beautiful.

One drawback to many new high-rise residential developments is balconies. While these features are greate selling points I find that all high-rise buildings that them have too much in common. This trend is noticeable in many asian and south american high-rise residential buildings.

Either way, i'm all for increased high-rise and even mid-rise residential development in and near downtown

We should be picky now, but there's still no way to ever know what will be considered ugly in the future. Perhaps when Exxon, 2016 Main, and Houston House were built they were considered quite modern and nice-looking. For all we know the Shamrock will one day be considered an architectural gem. If you judge older buildings as ugly by today's standards of "beauty" you still at least have to respect them as being representative of the styles of their era.

Balconies are there because they are a nice amenity. I sure wouldn't buy a condo without one.

Anyone noticed a slight resemblance to the new Justice Center or whatever it's called? The roofs both have structures, which make them look like low-story buildings that got stretched, as opposed to the typical 20th century flat roofed buildings.

Stainless appliances, hardwood floors, high ceilings, stone countertops....

This is so turn-of-the-21st century.

Maybe flat roofs are considered a bit passe.

If the goal is to see more residential development downtown, then I guess it only makes sense for developers to offer those popular options such as balconies, stainless applicances, and granite countertops. You have to wonder how much they add to the unit price, and whether they could sell more by offering more barebones styles.

Condo Balcanies Downtown = Ugly

Oh, well, that settles that. :lol:

Can you explain what you mean by "downtown oriented development"? I'm still not quite sure I understand what exactly your objection is. I'm no big fan of it myself, but if nothing else I give them credit for the sandstone color that echoes the dominant color of a lot of buildings downtown, especially those built from the 1920s through 1950s. Overall it has always struck me as pretty par for the course for current highrise condo development style. Compare and constrast with the Orion.

On the EDI website the Shamrock has been demoted from the active highrise project page to one rendering that's "on the board". It doesn't explain what that means, however.

It typically means that there is no verifiable construction taking place or known to soon be taking place. At present, it is accurately listed now as on-the-boards. There's some uncertainty about whether it will actually start construction.

It's a far cry from Orion, for example, which is about three weeks into construction.

Personally, given Houston's lack of residential high rises, I think practically any new residential tower would look somewhat out of place amidst the older, classic commercial towers and gleaming, futuristic high-rises.

As an independent design, I don't have much problem with Shamrock. It's not the most eye catching but it's not unattractive either.

First off, I think the ExxonMobil Building looks great. I really appreciate this one as well as it's smaller sibling on Allen Parkway (Wortham Tower). Not everything can be shiny and covered in reflective glass!

houston26.jpg

Secondly, I really don't find Houston House or 2016 Main to be UGLY. They are so totally generic that they really don't offend me at all. Every city in America I have ever traveled to has similar residential buildings in or near their respective downtowns. They are also very important because they were the early pioneers in downtown living and add 500 plus residents to the area!

Thirdly, I would hate to imagine just how much more dead Southern downtown would be without these three buildings. The last thing any area of downtown needs, but especially this one, is more surface lots!

Finally, I really am hoping Shamrock takes off. If this one falls through, then I think it might be a long while before someone else attempts to build a new residential tower downtown. HOUSTON NEEDS THIS TO GO UP, despite my not particularly caring for its architecture. We've already lost the Artalia, Ballpark Place, and the Franklin Towers and unlike those, this one integrates ground floor retail into the plan.

Archived