Shamrock Tower At 617 Main St.

dbigtex56

Just a quick reply, before we get back on topic.

Where do you guys figure that Downtown's crime is so terrible? Downtown is the safest section of Houston, according to HPD and city hall, and has been for several years.

It's not the homeless that is causing Downtown problems, but outdated perceptions of Downtown. If you guys think it's still bad, given how much you stay on top of things, how bad do you think the average suburbanite, who seldom comes downtown, thinks it is?

It's dead.  All of the conversation in the world won't revive it.  Caesar, Elvis, & Shamrock.....

If somehow a new development company is able to take over the project I can see it happening. Does the current one own the lot? Sorry I have forgotten alot of the details of the project. But I think this could easily have been a viable project had some one else been spearheading it. But I agree with you for now it seems dead in the water. But who knows it may come back crazier things have happenned.

I was talking with (what I think) is a reliable source yesterday. He said Shamrock gave the money back to everyone who put money down. He also said IF the building gets built they will be rental units. The building will also be much smaller.

I know everyone would have loved to see the full scale building go up, but at this point, I for one would be fine with a mid rise, well appointed apartment building with first floor retail go in. Something like that is better than a surface lot with a trailer on it. Also, I think it would add a decent mix of people to the area, since besides the Rice Lofts, I'm not sure if there is too much else like this in that immediate area.

I know everyone would have loved to see the full scale building go up, but at this point, I for one would be fine with a mid rise, well appointed apartment building with first floor retail go in.  Something like that is better than a surface lot with a trailer on it.  Also, I think it would add a decent mix of people to the area, since besides the Rice Lofts, I'm not sure if there is too much else like this in that immediate area.

I guess I wouldn't mind rental units if they did it right. And a midrise would be pretty cool, but it would be even better if it filled the whole lot, but I guess that's pushing it.

This is ridiculous. There was plenty of demand. They had 30% reservations in the first month, before there was even a trailer, and they couldn't believe how fast it was going. Now it's a year and a half later, and we're all sighing and saying, "Well, I guess downtown just wasn't ready for it."

Well, I say this is silly. Downtown has just received every investment it will ever get. Every street is brand new and lined with trees, there are two sports stadiums and myriad cultural attractions. The city's biggest club scene is downtown. The biggest employment base is downtown. AND WE ARE THE FOURTH LARGEST CITY IN THE COUNTRY, DARNIT!

SO I SAY THAT THIS WHOLE PATHETIC FAILURE (which is what it is) IS SOMEONE'S FAULT, AND THAT PERSON IS TRACY SUTTLES.

HE AND HIS GIRLISH NAME SHOULD STICK TO BUILDING APARTMENT COMPLEXES IN THE SUBURBS, AND SOMEONE WITH THE COJONES WORTHY OF ALL THE OTHER GREAT DOERS WHO HAVE BUILT THIS CITY NEEDS TO COME TO DOWNTOWN AND BUILD A MEASLY CONDO TOWER!

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH! I CAN'T... TAAAAAAAAAAAAKE IT ANYMORE! OIL PRICES ARE SKYHIGH, THE CITY SHOULD BE BOOMING, AND ALL WE'RE DOING IS SITTING AROUND MAKING EXCUSES FOR EACH OTHER!!!

There are at least ten great projects on the boards. NOW, SOMEBODY... PLEASE... DO SOMETHING!

I hope it was not the developer's fault...if downtown couldn't handle a big high rise then I think it's all for the best. 15 small residential developments will be better for downtown/midtown than one ugly high-rise that eats up all the demand. Hopefully the message that gets sent from all of this is that it's too risky for a developer to build anything on that scale.

I hope it was not the developer's fault...if downtown couldn't handle a big high rise then I think it's all for the best.  15 small residential developments will be better for downtown/midtown than one ugly high-rise that eats up all the demand.  Hopefully the message that gets sent from all of this is that it's too risky for a developer to build anything on that scale.

Risky? I'm with H-town Man's rant.

Well, I am sure there's all kinds of demand for downtown living. But I think that if one highrise goes up with the intention of eating up all of the demand, it becomes very vulnerable to another more desirable highrise going up nearby that steals customers. If there's demand for 400 units downtown and one guy decides to accommodate 300 of them, what's to stop some other guy from building a better high-rise of 200 units? The 200 unit highrise will fill all of its slots (because it's more desirable) and the 400 unit highrise is stuck with 66% capacity and might end up marking down the remaining units, which means they wouldn't make as much money as they originally thought.

I have no idea if this is how it really works but that's my thought process as an outsider.

30% presale isn't all that great.  The last few buildings I've watched go up haven't even broken ground until they were 60-80% sold.

Well I am pretty sure last time I went through the website and asked the guy at the trailer I believe it was around 70% or more. I think the demand is there we just had an incompetent developer that will probably only scare away other buyers or future developers. So yeah I agree with H-town's rant.

This is ridiculous.  There was plenty of demand.  They had 30% reservations in the first month, before there was even a trailer, and they couldn't believe how fast it was going.  Now it's a year and a half later, and we're all sighing and saying, "Well, I guess downtown just wasn't ready for it."

Well, I say this is silly.  Downtown has just received every investment it will ever get.  Every street is brand new and lined with trees, there are two sports stadiums and myriad cultural attractions.  The city's biggest club scene is downtown.  The biggest employment base is downtown.  AND WE ARE THE FOURTH LARGEST CITY IN THE COUNTRY, DARNIT!

SO I SAY THAT THIS WHOLE PATHETIC FAILURE (which is what it is) IS SOMEONE'S FAULT, AND THAT PERSON IS TRACY SUTTLES.

HE AND HIS GIRLISH NAME SHOULD STICK TO BUILDING APARTMENT COMPLEXES IN THE SUBURBS, AND SOMEONE WITH THE COJONES WORTHY OF ALL THE OTHER GREAT DOERS WHO HAVE BUILT THIS CITY NEEDS TO COME TO DOWNTOWN AND BUILD A MEASLY CONDO TOWER!

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!  I CAN'T...  TAAAAAAAAAAAAKE IT ANYMORE!  OIL PRICES ARE SKYHIGH, THE CITY SHOULD BE BOOMING, AND ALL WE'RE DOING IS SITTING AROUND MAKING EXCUSES FOR EACH OTHER!!!

There are at least ten great projects on the boards.  NOW, SOMEBODY... PLEASE... DO SOMETHING!

Best. Rant. Ever.

Well, based on some of the testimonials on this board as well as some newspaper articles I've read concerning the development team, the project didn't seem to be the best managed. Looks like the market wasn't the culprit on this. Now, to be fair, banks might be especially skeptical and difficult to get along with when they hear that a group is looking to build a from-the-ground-up residential unit but I digress.

Even with that, I can think of a half-dozen quality old buildings that could be reconverted into residential. The more of those that get converted, the better the prospects of seeing some new structures go up.

I agree with H-town Man's rant, it seems that the development team for the Shamrock were just a bunch of cooks.

And I also agree that for now it may be better to do mid-rises with lower amounts of units so that those can fill up and have good occupancy rates, and that way we would slowly but surely gain a good residential base downtown and we would have more structures.....

..... But I also agree with The Great Hizzy! that if we converted some buildings that are already in downtown first before any new structures, it may do us just as good if not better.

But I know how you all feel, I want new structures just as bad as the next guy.