Shamrock Tower At 617 Main St.

dbigtex56

I don't think there's any reason to think that it was a scam, or that the developer was a crook. A lot of projects are proposed, get somewhat along, and then come apart for various reasons. I assumed demand was an element here because of the number of downtown condo proposals that haven't worked out. I still think a good way to build up a residential base downtown is with small rental units. It seems that something like the Post Midtown apartments would work well at that site. Renovating older buildings into residential is also catching on, and downtown has a number of good candidates.

From today's NYT:

The condo and apartment conversion craze has hit a wall here - a sleek corporate wall of smoked glass and cheap steel girding.

It was bound to happen. Across the country, buildings with character - old garment factories, warehouses, Art Deco skyscrapers and Beaux-Arts firehouses - are being revived as condominiums and loft apartments as cities try to draw residents back to their core. But with that historic stock depleting, developers are now turning to uglier candidates for condo makeover: moribund office towers.

Link to full story

It would be nice if some of the older smaller buildings that may have low occupancy or are abandoned could be converted to resonably priced units. This could possibly create a strong residential base and possibly more retail which could make these larger buildings possible. This could also possibly help save older buildings. Houston has already torn down enough of its history.

So it's not gonna get built huh? What a CROCK?

It doesn't look like it. Maybe some of these condo builders who have been having success in places like uptown may decide to come downtown. Though like I said earlier I would like some of the current buildings to be converted. But regarding if uptown developers decide to come downtown I hope they change the style of their buildings. Alot of the highrises don't seem like they would fit in in downtown. Although I think randall davis's new properties the Manhattan (and soon the Empire) would fit in very well in downtown.

Well here is his site.  Just click on high rise properties.  The empire is proposed and then the Manhattan (slightly lower) is already built.  I will try and find some pics.  I know that I have taken some but I don't know where the disc is.

EDIT: Sorry I realized I didn't put the link

http://www.randalldavis.com

Yeah they do look nice. Can see them in DT.

Just looked at the site. ....They did Rice lofts, St. Germain, Hogg, Hotel Icon......cool hope they keep it up

It would be nice if some of the older smaller buildings that may have low occupancy or are abandoned could be converted to resonably priced units.  This could possibly create a strong residential base and possibly more retail which could make these larger buildings possible.  This could also possibly help save older buildings.  Houston has already torn down enough of its history.

I'm curious; what abandoned and low-occupancy buildings do you have in mind for conversion to residential?

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 buildings in the 100 block of main, a 3 story and a 5 story. They have bars on the 1st floor, empty above.

There is a 3 or 4 story on Prairie next to Boaka. There is a 4 story on the corner of Prairie and Fannin.

There is one on Main next to the Rice that is empty. There are several on Main near Main Street Square.

Oh, and not to bring up a sore spot, but the building next to the Shamrock lot is empty, at the corner of Texas and Fannin. Also, the building between Magnolia and the condos on Texas.

The Cenikor building on Texas near Minute Maid is empty. And numerous buildings in the warehouse district.

OK, I'm tired. Someone else take over.

I had a feeling this deal would never materialize. Although given, many projects never make it to the development stage, this one was doomed from the beginning. Tracy Suttles entered the princely lifestyle with his purchase of a River Oaks mansion, which he now cannot afford to pay for: article and I really question a project when its developer can't even afford his own house, which is now up for sale listing for his house . Plus with such an ugly taste for his personal residence, I wonder what plans they had for the 'Shamrock's' interior!

Also, I know of atleast 5 large unoccupied buildings in downtown. Everything, commercial and residential has alooooootta room to grow in downtown, and even after years of development, its awfully dead (with exception of few blocks on a few nights) at nights. Theres just nothing attractive to bring people down to live, but hopefully Mayor White's new proposed 13 acre ($80M+) park will mitigate that.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 buildings in the 100 block of main, a 3 story and a 5 story.  They have bars on the 1st floor, empty above.

There is a 3 or 4 story on Prairie next to Boaka.  There is a 4 story on the corner of Prairie and Fannin.

There is one on Main next to the Rice that is empty.  There are several on Main near Main Street Square.

Oh, and not to bring up a sore spot, but the building next to the Shamrock lot is empty, at the corner of Texas and Fannin.  Also, the building between Magnolia and the condos on Texas.

The Cenikor building on Texas near Minute Maid is empty.  And numerous buildings in the warehouse district.

OK, I'm tired.  Someone else take over.

Melrose Building

806 Main

West Building

Ben Milam Hotel

Holiday Inn Building

Texaco Building

Sheraton

Savoy

I was actually thinking myself today that driving through Austin is quite a different and more pleasing experience than it is driving through houston.  I would attribute most of this to its strict zoning laws.

I don't suppose the rolling hills, the well preserved old buildings and the environmental culture of the residents had anything to do with it?

I was actually thinking myself today that driving through Austin is quite a different and more pleasing experience than it is driving through houston.  I would attribute most of this to its strict zoning laws.

What does this have to do with Shamrocks fate? Personally outside of UT and the area around the lake I think Houston overall is more pleasing. But I guess everyone has there own opinion. Regarding zoning while there are some thinngs it would help just look at dallas considering how similar it looks to Houston in many different characteristics.

I'm curious; what abandoned and low-occupancy buildings do you have in mind for conversion to residential?

Okay well I came in late but people have already mentioned ones I was thinking of. Also I can't think of any off the top of my head, but there may be some office buildings whose tenants leases are soon to expire who might be nearly empty could be candidates too. I am mostly just throwing out ideas.

Yes, zoning doesn't define and make something beautiful. That is a result of the community wanting to beautify the area. I find most of Austin just like Houston. It is just another sprawling city once you get out of the central core.

The hills help, but we can't necessarily import that.

I think that the region between Uptown and Downtown with I-10 and US-59 as the north-south boundaries is the place for high-rise and mid-rise buildings to be built. This will centrally place residences from all the major employment centers. Just look at the Orion, and the proposals along Kirby and that one at Dunlavy@Alabama.

Houston Chronicle Article (click link):

Shamrock as planned is definately dead. Possible alternate has a chance of getting off the ground at some point, but Tracy Suttles has to get his own personal finances in place first so his house doesn't get foreclosed on, then maybe he can use some of that talent to promote another hollow project.

On a much more positive note, a seemingly responsible company has purchased a block next to the new propopsed park, and may go ahead with a residential project there. Read for yourself and share your opinions please.

It said 15 floors in two towers. A nice sized project.

I'm more excited about the Days Inn conversion since it's happening now.

If that project is successful, I think LandCo's other project would begin because they see one project already doing fine.