Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

16 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

So does anyone know exactly what stretch of Memorial this will be and how far down it goes?

If you are asking literally how far down it goes, the answer is not at all.  Memorial Drive will not be lowered.

https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/discover/master-plan/land-bridge-prairie-restoration-project/

https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/discover/master-plan/ten-year-plan/?location=Land+Bridge+and+Prairie

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 4:28 PM, CaptainJilliams said:

From a few days ago, it looks like they will be breaking ground soon on the land bridge! New render I also have not seen yet.

Kind of wish it didn't look like drain culverts coming out but I guess the engineering required it.

• Like 1

@H-Town Man everytime i see that photo i don't think of drains as much as i think about how if they ever need to block it temporarily they can have giant balls that they just roll up to the entrance or enormous corks haha! 

edit to say: 

ps..sorry for saying giant balls on a family forum...

🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Kind of wish it didn't look like drain culverts coming out but I guess the engineering required it.

The simplistic aesthetic design is likely the result of the limited budget rather than any engineering constraints.  Civil engineers and architects can do almost anything given enough money. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EaDo Lou said:

The simplistic aesthetic design is likely the result of the limited budget rather than any engineering constraints.  Civil engineers and architects can do almost anything given enough money. 

I was listening to the memorial park people talk on some interview and it seems like the design is more worried about sustaining the weight of the land mass since they are using soil from the park and growing trees on top of it. A comment on the post said something like "this isn't just a rooftop garden" lol. So it seems like they need incredible support, aka all that concrete looking like drain culverts, to ensure the soil stays in place and the trees can grow. The new expansion is more than I could have imagined, the land bridge is some visionary type stuff that as a person born and raise in houston I could only dream of. 

Looking at those photos, it looks like the Arboretum in some places. So do you just park on the south side of the park and walk over there? 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, gene said:

that second photo reminds me of a cult...i hope this isn't part of the new master plan 💀

Haha what you’re looking at according to the website is 

Memorial Groves

A living memorial to the WWI soldiers who trained at Camp Logan, trees aligned in regiments will shelter gathering spaces for reflection and education among the 100-year-old remnants of the camp.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, por favor gracias said:

Love the tree rows in that 2nd picture.

okay you made me just look at that picture one more time to get past my prior Cult comment earlier...that's when i noticed that the sidewalk makes an upside down cross!!! what in tarnation!!!????!!! 👹🤮🙏😲

I love the linear "halls" of trees, that is going to look so cool from the ground.

Has there been any status of the proposed replacement of the tennis courts and swimming pool that's there currently? I know they proposed a natatorium at one time. That is the only pool south of the heights in the west loop area at the moment.

• Like 3

I can also confirm what @Triton has seen. They've also placed a fence around the perimeter that has renderings of the land bridges all over it.

24 minutes ago, Triton said:

UPDATE ON PARK: They have cleared most of the trees south of Memorial where the land bridge will be.

Can anyone find the original master plan PDF that had a lot more detail? I clicked on the link here in this thread but it's apparently dead now. I'm trying to figure out if they are going to be moving Memorial further south for the tunnel.

I don't have a PDF, but I found this link to the Memorial Park Conservancy that has some FAQs and a detailed description of the plan: https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/discover/master-plan/land-bridge-prairie-restoration-project/

Not sure if this helps!

• Like 6

The surprising thing to me is they don't even have a good map of the Eastern Glades as it was built yet.  The master plan has a design for it but what got built ended up being fairly different, with a much bigger lake.  So I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a map of the upcoming land bridge in detail when they don't even have a map of the already-built Eastern Glades.

That said, I believe there was more detail in the original PDF but for some reason they seem to have decided to scrub that from the Internet.  Probably incompetence rather than malice though.

• Like 1

well dangity dang, rode my bike there of course this weekend and yep it is craziness to see all the trees gone and the volleyball courts gone and a giant fence around that entire land mass just north of the baseball fields and west of the picnic loop! i mean i understand why and all what is happening etc but just still...crazy to see it all gone! exciting stuff to have this major and cool project underway! 

ps...is there anywhere else in Memorial to play volleyball? i cannot remember seeing courts elsewhere in Memorial specifically?

• Like 6

I'm glad they're working on this area. That part of the park may have been the hardest hit from the drought back in 2011, and quite frankly, it's depressing for me when I pass by knowing what was there before. I never saw the Transco Tower from that part of Memorial before they cut all those dead pines down, and now you can see a lot of Uptown from there.

I remember we were rationing water at the time, but to this day, I can't fathom letting so many trees in our prize park die like that. I always thought a city like New York would never let something like that happen to Central Park if a similar situation presented itself there. I don't know that, but that's just my feeling. I wish they'd put an irrigation system in place (assuming they don't have one already) in at least the most mature areas to prevent something like that from happening again.

That said, I am very impressed with what they've done so far on the other (north) side of Memorial and look forward to the finished product on the south side.

• Like 5