Elysian Viaduct

44 minutes ago, wilcal said:

This may be an option for you: https://www.glo.texas.gov/land/land-management/gis/aerials/1940s/harris/index3c.html

These photos I saw in a Chron article about the destruction of the Lyons/Jensen area by the construction of the interstates. 

I think those GLO pictures are the ones displayed in Google Earth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wilcal said:

This may be an option for you: https://www.glo.texas.gov/land/land-management/gis/aerials/1940s/harris/index3c.html

These photos I saw in a Chron article about the destruction of the Lyons/Jensen area by the construction of the interstates. 

I asked Houston TxDOT about it on Twitter awhile back, and they said that it wasn't their bridge.

Just like an hour with a weedeater would make a good bit of difference. 

The other issue is that it doesn't really go anywhere. No sidewalks on either side. 

I feel like Houston has so much but because it gets neglected, nobody knows it exists. This is a small example. But a bigger example is the Amtrak station. So many people have told me they never knew we even had a station that could take them to Nola or LA. It's like Houston doesn't even try to make better use of what it has to offer already. And then all we do is build shiny new stuff on top of it. If I knew this was a solid pedestrian bridge, with access from the Warehouse district, I would park in the Warehouse District, enjoy myself there and then walk to St. Arnolds. It's those little opportunities that this city misses. 

• Like 6

On 5/30/2020 at 7:18 PM, wilcal said:

I asked Houston TxDOT about it on Twitter awhile back, and they said that it wasn't their bridge.

That is odd. I thought any bridge crossing a TxDOT maintained road was maintained by TxDOT?

21 minutes ago, JLWM8609 said:

That is odd. I thought any bridge crossing a TxDOT maintained road was maintained by TxDOT?

I felt it odd as well. 

I was planning on following up about it after the Elysian was rebuilt to see if anything happens first.

Sometimes these things fall through the cracks and whoever is responsible doesn't know that they are.  

After some flooding in Kingwood, the city was going through to see  which of the drainage ditches needed to be cleaned and someone had to go through the process of figuring out which were city maintained and which were county maintained. IIRC something like 10% of the system was unclaimed by either and the city voluntarily offered to maintain it while they figured out who had to. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

From Click2Houston:

"drivers should be able to use this new bridge by the end of the year."

https://www.click2houston.com/traffic/2020/06/16/heres-an-update-on-the-elysian-viaduct-bridge-improvements/

Hmmm... Guess I hadn't considered that they haven't even laid the bridge over I-10 yet.

11 hours ago, Triton said:

Hmmm... Guess I hadn't considered that they haven't even laid the bridge over I-10 yet.

I think they are doing the span over I-10 this weekend - there are signs on Chartres alerting to an I-10 closure this weekend

Edited by HoustonMidtown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 11:50 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

50050467568_c902afcab7_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

50051037891_c72d40bb6f_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

50051037896_4016e86e2b_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

50051289782_8bba572f25_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

I guess making i10 wider through there isn’t part of the redo plan for the highways around downtown? You’d think they’d leave space to accommodate for future expansion.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

I-10 is closed again this weekend for more work on the bridge

I believe the work this weekend is for the Waco St bridge.

Total Closures to Reconstruct Waco St. Bridge Above IH-10

IH 10 Eastbound Mainlanes at Waco St.  
Friday, July 17 [8:30 PM] to Monday, July 20 [5 AM]
Detour: proceed Eastbound on IH 10 Eastbound to exit Waco St.; Follow IH 10 Eastbound Frontage Road to the Waco St. Entrance Ramp.

IH 10 Westbound Mainlanes at Waco St.
Friday, July 17 [8:30 PM] to Monday, July 20 [5 AM]
Detour: proceed Westbound on IH 10 Westbound to exit Waco St.; Follow IH 10 Westbound Frontage Road to the Waco St. Entrance Ramp. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 3:22 PM, hindesky said:

Why does this project seem to be taking forever to finish? They don't have any traffic to deal with since everything is closed off.

9Zx5pKR.jpg

I've been asking that myself for quite a while now.... I seriously thought this thing was close to being finish at the beginning of the year but boy was I wrong. I'm guessing they are somehow able to bring down the cost of this project by stretching it out? I honestly don't know.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Major-projects-lead-to-closing-of-I-10-in-both-15650046.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_medium=referral

Bridge crews will pull double duty along Interstate 10 in downtown Houston this weekend, in the hopes of combining closings so drivers are detoured fewer times.

Eastbound and westbound I-10 will be closed at 8 p.m. Friday, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. About 4.5 miles of the eastbound lanes will be closed from Shepherd to Interstate 69 while westbound lanes will be closed from I-69 to Interstate 45, about 1.5 miles. Detours will send drivers through downtown to I-45 and then back to I-10 westbound, while eastbound I-10 traffic is recommended to use Loop 610 to avoid the area entirely.

640x0.jpg

Westbound lanes are scheduled to reopen by 5 p.m. Saturday, but the eastbound lanes are not expected to reopen until 5 a.m. Monday.

The closings, which cover a much larger area than typical, are so TxDOT can advance two separate construction projects which would have led to closing the freeway two straight weekendssaid Danny Perez, a spokesman for TxDOT in Houston. Crews are rebuilding the Elysian Viaduct that crosses Buffalo Bayou and I-10 in to downtown, while another project about a 1.5 miles away is repairing the Houston Avenue bridge across I-10 west of downtown.

PIERCE ELIMINATED: Critics say 30-day window to comment on I-45 project far too short

“The Elysian work needed both sides (of the freeway), so instead of having back-to-back weekends, we combined,” Perez said.

Though traffic on weekends has returned compared to earlier declines during COVID, the number of vehicles remains about 10 percent below common levels on Saturdays and Sundays, according to Houston TranStar. Still, TxDOT officials are warning drivers to expect significant delays as a result of the freeway closings, and possibly seek alternative routes.

dug.begley@chron.com

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...