Elysian Viaduct

• 4 weeks later...

From TxDOT:  

The Texas Department of Transportation will close the I-10 East Freeway eastbound and westbound mainlanes between I-45 and I-69 this weekend to continue the reconstruction of the Elysian Viaduct Bridge north of Downtown Houston. 

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-center/local-news/houston/002-2021.html

On 12/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, cspwal said:

It looks like chain link fences on overpasses over train tracks is standard

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/cmd/cserve/standard/bridge/rlstd032.pdf

I'm not sure why

It's intended to keep hooligans from dropping stuff onto the tracks and trains.  The same logic applies to street overpasses over freeways.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I-10 closing likely to snarl downtown Houston traffic this weekend

Photo of Dug Begley
Dug Begley Jan. 21, 2021 Updated: Jan. 21, 2021 6:32 a.m.

Highway officials are urging motorists to detour around downtown Houston if possible this weekend, as work on a major entryway to the central business district closes Interstate 10 in both directions from Friday night to Monday morning.

Crews will close I-10 westbound at Interstate 69 and eastbound at Interstate 45 starting at 9 p.m. Friday, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Various lanes, entrances and exits will be closed along the freeway, which is set to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.

640x0.jpg

Westbound traffic will be diverted to I-69 southbound and then I-45 northbound, where drivers can re-enter I-10. The eastbound detour will work in reverse, using southbound I-45 and northbound I-69.

“It is strongly advised to seek an alternate route during this closure,” TxDOT said in a statement.

The closing is needed for work along the Elysian Viaduct that spans I-10, Buffalo Bayou and a major rail line, now easily recognizable from the freeway because of the boldly painted new columns. Work began almost four years ago on the long-sought widening and rebuild of Elysian into downtown, just northeast of Minute Maid Park.

Construction initially was expected to end by 2019, but early in the work Tropical Storm Harvey and related flooding significantly delayed work. The project’s price tag also has ballooned from $35.6 million to $48.1 million because of rising material, design and labor costs and additional work on the site.

The new span will have two lanes in each direction along with shoulders and a five-foot sidewalk between Runnels and Ruiz when it opens in a few weeks, based on the latest schedule.

dug.begley@chron.com

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, mollusk said:

It's intended to keep hooligans from dropping stuff onto the tracks and trains.  The same logic applies to street overpasses over freeways.

This is not correct, the fencing up so far is only near the train tracks, no fencing over IH 10. Which doesn't make any sense to me. How is anyone going to hurt the train? But someone could get killed if someone threw something off over the highway.:wacko:

Train fencing.

4sT2xxa.jpg

No fencing over IH 10.

2BreBYK.jpg

The are 2 of these, one on the southbound side and another on the northbound. Seems to be doing zero work being done to finish them. Hopefully they place some kind of hard barrier near them or someone is going to be the newest Evil Kneivel on the northbound side.

WvYn7To.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hindesky said:

The are 2 of these, one on the southbound side and another on the northbound. Seems to be doing zero work being done to finish them. Hopefully they place some kind of hard barrier near them or someone is going to be the newest Evil Kneivel on the northbound side.

I think those will be the freeway entrances/exits to the Hardy Toll Road extension (when it gets started, whenever that is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Big E said:

I think those will be the freeway entrances/exits to the Hardy Toll Road extension (when it gets started, whenever that is.

Yeah, but why aren't they doing anything while they have full access to build them? The southbound one does go over the train tracks but the northbound one doesn't. Maybe that wasn't part of their bid? Balfour Beatty is the contractor.

Edited by hindesky

Just now, hindesky said:

Yeah, but why aren't they doing anything while they have full access to build them? The southbound one does go over the train tracks but the northbound one doesn't. Maybe that wasn't part of their bid?

My guess: nothing is being done on that because that is specifically part of the Hardy Toll Road extension, which would make it Harris County's issue (they maintain the toll road). The viaduct replacement is probably being done by the city of Houston.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Big E said:

My guess: nothing is being done on that because that is specifically part of the Hardy Toll Road extension, which would make it Harris County's issue (they maintain the toll road). The viaduct replacement is probably being done by the city of Houston.

That's correct about the toll road extension, but the viaduct replacement is a TxDOT project. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• hindesky
  • 6836 posts
On 1/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, mollusk said:

This is not correct, the fencing up so far is only near the train tracks, no fencing over IH 10. Which doesn't make any sense to me. How is anyone going to hurt the train? But someone could get killed if someone threw something off over the highway.

Key words:  so far.  Fencing overpasses over freeways is very common, but not universal.  As far as trains are concerned, they do have engineers in the locomotive cabs; I'm sure someone is creative enough to figure out what other kind of mayhem to deploy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

it's almost time to get the car's tires rebalanced and front end checked in anticipation of some (murmuring unintelligble things about going slightly faster than the speed limit)

On my honor, I never went faster than <insert excessive speed high enough to disqualify me from taking defensive driving to get out of the ticket here> on the old Viaduct.

• Haha 3

It never ceases to amaze me how long this project is taking. I know it was planned to take this long from the start but when I see so many things finished in January and here we still are in April.... it just..... amazes me.

• Like 2

I guess the contractor didn't have a lot of incentive to finish early.

granted I was a kid when it was being built, so things always seemed to take longer, but I always felt like the first section of BW8 between 59 and i10 took forever for them to open.

7 hours ago, ttuchris said:

It really is amazing.  I moved downtown in September 2017 and this project was underway.  You can see date stamps on the concrete, 2018, 2019, 2021.

I didn't know it's taken that long. The Atchafalaya Basin bridges didn't take this long to be built, seems like this project should've been completed at least a year ago. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what the experts call this piece of equipment but I saw a couple of workers using it and swinging under the Elysian St. bridge. It has a vehicle on top of the bridge that has counterweights that enable them to use it safely.

ElYilZm.jpg

Lu8EhnV.jpg

They have prepped the intersections and the roads for paint marking.

uLl8ulG.jpg

yNkD7gO.jpg

• Like 4