Elysian Viaduct

On 2/15/2020 at 2:31 PM, zaphod said:

Seeing this makes me ponder the future of the I-10 ROW after they reroute it. There's going to be an overpass over it, and its already excavated to be below grade, so its going to be hard to develop, I think. It could be a park, but we have a lot of parks. I wonder what this area will look like in 25 years.

The freeway is not being relocated at the point where it intersects with Elysian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The freeway is not being relocated at the point where it intersects with Elysian.

i45 is being relocated. there is additional ROW acquisition to account for an elevated i45 to follow the same alignment as i10 where it intersects Elysian street. 

there is a cross section in here that is close to Elysian street. http://www.ih45northandmore.com/docs13/10_NHHIP_Seg3_Overview_Layout_PH_1-1.pdf look to the very right of the pdf.

pretty sure his point was that Elysian is elevated above the roadway level, the i45 relocation is going to be an elevated freeway above grade level along almost the entire stretch of the i10 alignment, should we assume that in the location where i45 will intersect Elysian which is already an elevated viaduct above grade, that the elevated i45 will be going even higher above Elysian?

good thing we're removing one elevated freeway from the rich people side of town so we can add an even taller elevated freeway where the poor people live.

edit: found the video that shows elevations and what they will be dealing with where i45 runs along the same alignment as i10.

it is elevated over Elysian. so really tall elevated freeway.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, samagon said:

i45 is being relocated. there is additional ROW acquisition to account for an elevated i45 to follow the same alignment as i10 where it intersects Elysian street. 

there is a cross section in here that is close to Elysian street. http://www.ih45northandmore.com/docs13/10_NHHIP_Seg3_Overview_Layout_PH_1-1.pdf look to the very right of the pdf.

Yes, we know I-45 is being relocated. But in the area where the freeway (both I-45 and I-10) crosses Elysian, the freeway is in the same location as I-10 is currently (yes, with expanded right-of-way), obviating Zaphod's concern about what to do with the I-10 right-of-way under Elysian.

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes, we know I-45 is being relocated. But in the area where the freeway (both I-45 and I-10) crosses Elysian, the freeway is in the same location as I-10 is currently (yes, with expanded right-of-way), obviating Zaphod's concern about what to do with the I-10 right-of-way under Elysian.

that's not how I read the question, but whatever, neither here nor there. 

both freeways will sit mostly within the current ROW, i10 will go under Elysian, i45 will go over Elysian.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Triton said:

Don't waste your time. Literally past the curve, it dead ends. Go figure.

I don't see it on the bike plan map, but perhaps the intention is to eventually keep going around the bend in the bayou and connect with the heights trail?

• 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, HOU_huckster said:

@Avossos Can Harrisburg Blvd underpass serve as a template? It's such a dynamic and colorful experience as one traverses the space.

Screen_Shot_2020-05-03_at_4_52.10_PM.png

That's cool! I don't make my way over there often. Need to check that out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Saw this cool photo of the original Elysian Viaduct. This photo is from around 1960.

OIUcLhW.jpg

I loved the Elysian when I had a Taurus SHO. I never did get much above 100 mph, though. There was no place for cops to park, and very little traffic.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, wilcal said:

Saw this cool photo of the original Elysian Viaduct. This photo is from around 1960.

OIUcLhW.jpg

Looking at this photo, the bends of 59 make much more sense - they were avoiding the preexisting rail line, since that probably saved them money.  When did Clayton homes open?  I wonder if it was built before 59 was being planned, or if they were planned at the same time.  That rail line isn't there any more - moved to the east side of Clayton homes.

It's intersting to see the freight stations - there's one on the right side where you can see trucks parked, waiting for stuff to get loaded on to them, and you can see another freight station on McKee, and you can see Union Station in the background, with the sheds stretching multiple blocks east.  Then there's the train yard on commerce and San Jacinto - which is now entirely erased from the map, with the Criminal Courts building at the head of the building, a parking garage, and a bunch of parking lots.  The only evidence that it was there is that Caroline doesn't cross that block.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cspwal said:

Looking at this photo, the bends of 59 make much more sense - they were avoiding the preexisting rail line, since that probably saved them money.  When did Clayton homes open?  I wonder if it was built before 59 was being planned, or if they were planned at the same time.  That rail line isn't there any more - moved to the east side of Clayton homes.

It's intersting to see the freight stations - there's one on the right side where you can see trucks parked, waiting for stuff to get loaded on to them, and you can see another freight station on McKee, and you can see Union Station in the background, with the sheds stretching multiple blocks east.  Then there's the train yard on commerce and San Jacinto - which is now entirely erased from the map, with the Criminal Courts building at the head of the building, a parking garage, and a bunch of parking lots.  The only evidence that it was there is that Caroline doesn't cross that block.

Clayton Homes opened in 1952! So that's quite a while before 59 was built. 

Here's another photo that looks north. 

N3IFVGF.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 7:33 PM, wilcal said:

OIUcLhW.jpg

Where did you find these from? I've always been trying to find aerials of my area at North Main & 1-45 but nada :(

2 hours ago, Triton said:

Where did you find these from? I've always been trying to find aerials of my area at North Main & 1-45 but nada :(

This may be an option for you: https://www.glo.texas.gov/land/land-management/gis/aerials/1940s/harris/index3c.html

These photos I saw in a Chron article about the destruction of the Lyons/Jensen area by the construction of the interstates. 

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I hope it get's some much needed TLC. I may need to 311 that

I asked Houston TxDOT about it on Twitter awhile back, and they said that it wasn't their bridge.

Just like an hour with a weedeater would make a good bit of difference. 

The other issue is that it doesn't really go anywhere. No sidewalks on either side.