Elysian Viaduct

When I rode it on Sunday they hadn't done any of the striping on the Elysian at all, just the intersection with Runnels. But they have free access to knock this out since they won't have any traffic to deal with. They also have to stripe the intersections with Commerce St.

I talked with a worker and asked when this would be open to traffic. He said the portion from Runnels south to Commerce St would open in about a week and the Elysian bridge section would open in 2 to 3 weeks. Crew was busy doing the striping on both sections.

vJdPQqh.jpg

DzMOfYS.jpg

• Like 4

I talked to some of the workers doing the striping....said the city just passed inspection on the lights and it usually takes 2-3 weeks for them to be turned on.....pretty much same timeframe @hindesky heard

One of the workers added..."been working on a <expletive> 2 year project for 4 <expletive> years"

51179140688_3f5705208d_b.jpg

51178919296_b8d1df1991_b.jpg

51179140683_42ee29f813_b.jpg

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Congratulations Houston! I mean, WE built the Hoover Damn in 5 years... you built a road. LOL

i personally will be using the elysian once again but its been frustrating that glaciers have melted in the time they built this road. i mean they do eventually melt, its just really slow. kinda like this project. Meanwhile, the roads are crumbling IN DOWNTOWN right outside my office bulding.. its like driving in Syria. what an embarassment this city has become.  The engergy capitial of the world went dark in February, the roads leading to all these oil and gas companies in downtown crumbling, and they turn a 2 yrs project into 5. I've seen other TXDOT projects take a lot less time. makes you wonder what the politics did to sour the project?

Thank you to all who shared the pics of the progress all these years, ive enjoyed looking for the latest posts. it was by far the only way to get any info on this project thanks to you all.

KUDOS!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, hindesky said:

Large shoulder. I used to do a group ride on it heading southbound and this shoulder is much wider then before.

But people are driving 50 mph next to you or is there going to be a concrete barrier?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Triton said:

But people are driving 50 mph next to you or is there going to be a concrete barrier?

It was an early 7am start from Sun and Ski on Westheimer that was on Sunday, not much traffic around there when we rode it.

• The title was changed to Elysian Viaduct Replacement

Lights are working on the southern end of the Elysian at Commerce St. There is still a small section of the bridge that they haven't striped, not sure why. I always ride the southbound lane so I can take picks of McKee, the UG Warehouse and the Alliance Prose at Hardy Yards.

AW5eH1I.jpg

HXgkCvB.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend with a longstanding tradition of circumnavigating 610 in its entirety whenever he buys a new car. Perhaps the sportbike crowd could properly inaugurate the new Elysian Viaduct by pulling wheelies across its entire span.  In a relatively discreet manner, of course. 

• Like 5

I wonder how/if the police will patrol it - the old bridge was so narrow they didn't have any place to park to zap you with radar...I think there is one area on the new bridge that looks like a stub for a future connection, maybe they can "hide" there...

I'll be taking my inaugural drive in less than an hour !

Edited by HoustonMidtown

On 7/17/2021 at 10:52 PM, zaphod said:

Instead of doing that I-45 widening project, just extend the Hardy. It would displace fewer people. Though I don't know if would impact more people with car exhaust pollution.

Those are two completely different projects being done by two completely different agencies, and both were supposed to be done together. One is being held up by politicians looking for their 15 minutes and the other is, as far as I know, on hold.